PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] restore Evolution to indicator applet

Docaltmed
May 11th, 2010, 07:14 PM
On a fresh install of 10.04, I had to briefly uninstall Evolution. When I did that, it naturally disappeared from the indicator applet.

However, when I re-installed Evolution, it did not restore the application to the indicator applet. I still have the Chat and Broadcast options, but not the Mail option.

How do I restore Mail to the indicator applet?

Docaltmed
May 11th, 2010, 07:26 PM
Found a partial solution here:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=9276206&postcount=19

However, on the drop-down menu, it still says "Set up mail."

How do I fix that?

Eannes
July 27th, 2010, 07:49 PM
On a fresh install of 10.04, I had to briefly uninstall Evolution. When I did that, it naturally disappeared from the indicator applet.

However, when I re-installed Evolution, it did not restore the application to the indicator applet. I still have the Chat and Broadcast options, but not the Mail option.

How do I restore Mail to the indicator applet?
Right click on the top panel, click "Add to Panel" and scroll down to "Indicator Applet" and you're done

chunky bacon!
January 28th, 2011, 09:57 PM
Right click on the top panel, click "Add to Panel" and scroll down to "Indicator Applet" and you're done

I have experienced exact problem as original poster, and this does not fix it. It only adds the Indicator Applet.

The applet itself is still missing the envelope. Google and forum searches have frustrated. Is there anyway to get it back?

Frogs Hair
January 28th, 2011, 11:50 PM
Restore panels to default and see if that helps .
gconftool --recursive-unset /apps/panel && killall gnome-panel

Krytarik
January 29th, 2011, 01:31 AM
Try to add a file called "evolution" to the directory "/usr/share/indicators/messages/applications", with the following content:

/usr/share/applications/evolution-mail.desktop
Then restart gnome-panel, like Frogs Hair mentioned.

chunky bacon!
January 29th, 2011, 09:58 PM
Try to add a file called "evolution" to the directory "/usr/share/indicators/messages/applications", with the following content:

/usr/share/applications/evolution-mail.desktopThen restart gnome-panel, like Frogs Hair mentioned.

I did the restart Frogs Hair mentioned, and also did the evolution file, and then the restart, and still no envelope.

Thanks for the replies, if you come up with any other ideas, please let me know.

Krytarik
January 30th, 2011, 04:41 AM
Check if the package "indicator-messages" is installed at all. If it's not, install it:

sudo apt-get install indicator-messages

chunky bacon!
January 30th, 2011, 09:06 PM
Check if the package "indicator-messages" is installed at all. If it's not, install it:

sudo apt-get install indicator-messages

well, that got "kind of" closer.

there's now an evolution "envelope" as a separate applet, but it is still not in the indicator session applet.

chunky bacon!
January 31st, 2011, 01:14 AM
well, hold on, perhaps we have finally got it.

i found an applet called "indicator applet complete," and added it to the panel. the evolution part is right in there, along with the volume control, the "me" bit, and the power/log off options.

great, done, thank you all for your help.

yobach
July 13th, 2011, 01:47 PM
you can install the evolution indicator that will be display in the indicator applet

# sudo apt-get install evolution-indicator

It seem that it is not installed by default.

frogotronic
July 29th, 2011, 12:40 PM
These solutions didn't work for me.

The evolution mail icons are there when evolution is running, but not prior to it being started.

- CH

ZPField
June 9th, 2012, 11:05 PM
Hey, just thought I'd add to this, I know it's an old post but it is still relevant.
I've just installed Ubuntu 12.04 with the gnome fallback (my nvidia graphics card is old and unsupported thus far, and I didn't like unity much anyway). The default email client is Thunderbird but I'm used to using Evolution, and Thunderbird 12 doesn't support calendars as yet which I use quite a lot. So I removed Thunderbird and installed Evolution, but this took the email launcher applet out of the messaging panel. After following these instructions, (# sudo apt-get install evolution-indicator) I can say that it worked perfectly. Thanks to yobach for that one!