PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] MySQL Upstart Problems

cdnjay
May 11th, 2010, 06:30 PM
Hi,

My MySQL server is no longer starting properly at startup and when I try to start it manually I get the following error message:

jason@ubuntu-server:~$ start mysql
start: Rejected send message, 1 matched rules; type="method_call", sender=":1.4" (uid=1000 pid=1854 comm="start) interface="com.ubuntu.Upstart0_6.Job" member="Start" error name="(unset)" requested_reply=0 destination="com.ubuntu.Upstart" (uid=0 pid=1 comm="/sbin/init"))

I guess the scripts method has been deprecated or something as the system tells me I now have to use Upstart to start the service.

Help!

Jason

cdnjay
May 11th, 2010, 06:43 PM
I just finished my upgrade to 10.04 so I'm guessing this was a problem with the final stages of the upgrade install. It was an upgrade from 9.10.

santium
July 7th, 2010, 11:25 PM
Bit old, but I have the same problem. Running 10.10

memet
July 19th, 2010, 09:23 PM
From what I can tell you can't use the start/service commands as a mortal user so you have to do:

sudo service mysql start

tv3636
July 22nd, 2010, 04:14 AM
From what I can tell you can't use the start/service commands as a mortal user so you have to do:

sudo service mysql start

I'm having this problem and when I use this command ubuntu freezes (the cursor goes to the next line as if something is happening, and then I wait for 10 minutes and nothing happens)

If I try to start it with

sudo mysql start

I get ERROR 2002: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (2)

I've been searching around and nothing I've found has been able to fix this.

samwilsonau
August 11th, 2010, 01:53 AM
I'm having this problem and when I use this command ubuntu freezes (the cursor goes to the next line as if something is happening, and then I wait for 10 minutes and nothing happens)

Has anyone figured out what's going on with this? I've got exactly this problem.

Thanks.

tv3636
August 11th, 2010, 02:11 AM
Has anyone figured out what's going on with this? I've got exactly this problem.

Thanks.

My problem was caused by changing the bind address in my.cnf. I was trying to get Dreamweaver to connect to my mysql database (which I realize now is totally unnecessary and still don't know how to set up correctly) so I changed the bind-address to my laptop's IP address. This change had everything working perfectly, so I thought I was all set. The next day I turned everything on and mysql couldn't start because of the bind-address which was causing the socket error. After changing it back to 127.0.0.1 (0.0.0.0 works as well) and restarting mysql started correctly when ubuntu started up and I am now always able to use it with mysql -u root - p. Hope that helps solve your problem, but it seems like this error has a number of solutions/causes so it might not be the same case with your issue.

samwilsonau
August 11th, 2010, 02:39 AM
Hooray!

Thanks for the reply, I did what you suggest (changed the bind-address from the machine's IP to 0.0.0.0) and after a reboot all is well!

Thank you. :-)