PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] Dell Dimension 2350 running Xubuntu...too slow

timcasbolt
May 11th, 2010, 06:09 PM
This is an old desktop that came with XP. I've put a gig of ram next to the 128 chip that came with it, but it's still quite slow. Can I just buy a faster processor and install it in place of the oem? It's got a 1.7 celeron processor in it, and has never had impressive speed since new. Thanks in advance for any advice.

snowpine
May 11th, 2010, 06:19 PM
Are you sure the extra 1GB of ram is being recognized? (check the system monitor to be sure)

According to my sources, your computer can only take up to 512mb memory modules: http://www.crucial.com/upgrade/compatible-memory-for/Dell/Dimension+2350+Series/list.html

timcasbolt
May 11th, 2010, 07:18 PM
Yep. No problem with the ram. Just want to put a faster processor in it. Can I just buy one that is faster and will fit?

snowpine
May 11th, 2010, 07:27 PM
Maybe, maybe not... I really don't know... but are you sure that is a good investment? For the price of a new CPU, you could buy an entire faster computer on Craigslist, (depending on where you live) maybe you can find a used Pentium 4 for under $100 that will run Xubuntu easily. :)

timcasbolt
May 11th, 2010, 07:59 PM
That's what I would like to figure out. If I can swap out the processor with something faster from Craigslist or ebay that would be just fine. My question is: Can I buy just any processor, or will only certain brands or styles work in my computer?

snowpine
May 11th, 2010, 08:03 PM
That's what I would like to figure out. If I can swap out the processor with something faster from Craigslist or ebay that would be just fine. My question is: Can I buy just any processor, or will only certain brands or styles work in my computer?

I think it is safe to say that only certain brands or styles will work; you cannot use just any CPU and expect it to work. Unfortunately I am not an expert on this topic, so I'd better keep my mouth shut instead of possibly giving you some bad advice. ;)

confused57
May 11th, 2010, 08:09 PM
I had a Dell Dimension 4550 with 2 memory slots, maximum allowed of 512 Mb/slot, 1 Gigabyte total memory was the maximum stated in the specs. I'm not sure how this compares to the 2350.