PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Server 10.04 and Samba sharing issues....

jahservant
May 11th, 2010, 06:04 PM
I'm quite familiar with Ubuntu, but still new to Samba. I'm using Ubuntu 10.04, and I'm trying to create a share "myshare" that will give read-only permissions to one group but will allow write access to another group.

Here's the catch: Samba is connecting to a Microsoft Server's Active Directory, and the permissions need to be set by the M$'s groups.

In other words, I want the group "MYCOMP\\Domain Users" to have read-only access to "myshare", but I need "MYCOMP\\Domain Admins" to have write access as well.

I've seen a lot out there, such as adding this to my smb.conf:

[myshare]
path = /mnt/myshare
valid users = @"MYCOMP\\Domain Users"
read only = yes
write list = @"MYCOMP\\Domain Admins"

But alas, nothing works. Either both groups have write access or both groups have read-only access.

Has anyone been able to get something like this to work?

(P.S. I know this is a Samba question on an Ubuntu forum; I just figured that, since I can't get my answer elsewhere, the wealth of expertise in the Ubuntu community could give me a hand....)

BobVila
May 11th, 2010, 06:25 PM
I'm quite familiar with Ubuntu, but still new to Samba. I'm using Ubuntu 10.04, and I'm trying to create a share "myshare" that will give read-only permissions to one group but will allow write access to another group.

Here's the catch: Samba is connecting to a Microsoft Server's Active Directory, and the permissions need to be set by the M$'s groups.

In other words, I want the group "MYCOMP\\Domain Users" to have read-only access to "myshare", but I need "MYCOMP\\Domain Admins" to have write access as well.

[myshare]
path = /mnt/myshare
read only = yes
write list = @"MYCOMP\\Domain Admins"But alas, nothing works. Either both groups have write access or both groups have read-only access.

(P.S. I know this is a Samba question on an Ubuntu forum; I just figured that, since I can't get my answer elsewhere, the wealth of expertise in the Ubuntu community could give me a hand....)

Forgive the silly question, but have you set up AD Authentication on the box?

jahservant
May 12th, 2010, 05:09 PM
Yes, I've set up AD Authentication on the box, and it seems to be working.

"wbinfo -u" gives me all of the users on the domain and "wbinfo -g" gives me all the groups.

And, adding

to smb.conf gives access to all of the domain users using their domain, username, and password authenticatin.

So yeah, AD Authentication is set up and working great ^_^

Boondoklife
May 12th, 2010, 07:37 PM

[myshare]
path = /mnt/myshare
read only = yes
write list = @"MYCOMP\\Domain Admins"But alas, nothing works. Either both groups have write access or both groups have read-only access.

this comes out of my samba conf on a small box here.

valid users=@domainadmins @domainusers
write list=@domainadmins
read list=@domainusersof course this depends on the groups existing.

jahservant
May 13th, 2010, 12:21 AM
Boondoklife: I tried what you gave me:

[myshare]
path = /mnt/myshare
valid users = @"MYCOMP\\Domain Users", @"MYCOMP\\Domain Admins"
write list = @"MYCOMP\\Domain Admins"
read list = @"MYCOMP\\Domain Users"

But the "Domain Admins" users don't have write access. Everyone can read fine, but the Admins can't edit files or create new ones....

Am I missing something? I've double and triple checked everything but it doesn't seem to be working....

Boondoklife
May 13th, 2010, 12:37 AM
[Music]
comment = Music
path=/shares/internal/media/Music
guest ok=no
force group = domainadmins
force user = %U
create mode = 0666
directory mode = 0777
valid users=@domainadmins @domainusers
write list=@domainadmins
read list=@domainusers

This is exactly what I have in mine, NOTE there is not a comma in any of them.

jahservant
May 13th, 2010, 04:40 PM
Hmm. Still no luck. Administrators can't edit files or create new ones.

I found a bunch of these in /var/log/samba/log.nmbd, which seems to be occuring everytime an admin tries to create or edit a file:

[2010/05/13 09:35:59, 0] nmbd/nmbd_serverlistdb.c:354(write_browse_list)
write_browse_list: Fatal error - cannot find my workgroup MYCOMP

I checked with the kinit and wbinfo commands and everything seems to be working fine -- I don't understand what "cannot find my workgroup" means.

Thanks for all the help!

Boondoklife
May 13th, 2010, 05:22 PM
Hmm. Still no luck. Administrators can't edit files or create new ones.

I found a bunch of these in /var/log/samba/log.nmbd, which seems to be occuring everytime an admin tries to create or edit a file:

[2010/05/13 09:35:59, 0] nmbd/nmbd_serverlistdb.c:354(write_browse_list)
write_browse_list: Fatal error - cannot find my workgroup MYCOMP
I checked with the kinit and wbinfo commands and everything seems to be working fine -- I don't understand what "cannot find my workgroup" means.

Thanks for all the help!

Sounds like it is having an issue finding your groups, did you map them correctly to the samba server? I have not used samba in a Domain member so not sure it this is a limitation.

jahservant
May 13th, 2010, 08:31 PM
I created a new group on the M$ Windows server and tried that instead of "Domain Admins", and it worked! I then deleted the new group I created and tried "Domain Admins" again, and it started working.

I don't know what the heck was going on with that, but it's working now and I'm satisfied enough with that.

Thanks a lot Boondoklife!