PDA

View Full Version : Fresh install, boots but screen goes black..

rebman
May 11th, 2010, 05:11 PM
First post here,

Here are the specs of my current PC:

CPU: AMD Phenom II 955BE @ 3.5
Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO
Bios: American Megatrends V. 1104
Graphics Card: MSI Hawk Radeon HD 5770
Memory: DDR3 4096Mb
Hard Drive: SATA 500Gb
Optical Drive: 21x DVDRW +/-
Power Supply: ULTRA 750W PRO
Display: DELL 22"
Case: ROSEWILL SMART ONE
Sound Card: Realtek ALC892
Mouse: USB
Mouse pad: Sand Paper
Keyboard: USB
Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate x64

So here's my problem, I downloaded and burned Ubuntu from ubuntu.com (64bit version) while in windows 7 64 i popped the install disc in, and it went into a setup in which it installed it asked to reboot, and I allowed. upon reboot boot I could choose either Windows or Ubuntu, so I picked ubuntu and off it went. It started to boot into the (Ubuntu) OS, it shows the little ubuntu thing, then the display goes black, like there is no signal to the monitor. The PC still runs, and reconizes when I plug in an iPhone or something, there is just a black screen though. I would like to know how to go about fixing this?

Thanks!

dino99
May 11th, 2010, 05:21 PM
seem to be an Ati issue, try to boot into recovery mode and add video=vesa on the boot line (edit it into grub menu, press "e", add video=vesa after "quiet" and remove "splah", then press ctrl+x to boot.

rebman
May 11th, 2010, 05:24 PM
seem to be an Ati issue, try to boot into recovery mode and add video=vesa on the boot line (edit it into grub menu, press "e", add video=vesa after "quiet" and remove "splah", then press ctrl+x to boot.

I can try that when I get home from work, thanks for your quick response. How do I go about getting into recovery mode?

dino99
May 11th, 2010, 05:30 PM
its the 2d line into grub menu, select that line, then edit it. If you dont see the grub menu, at the end of bios process, hold "shift" key down to see it.

Other way, if you can open a console (ctrl+alt+f2), then run:

sudo aticonfig --initial -f

http://www.google.com/search?client=ubuntu&channel=fs&q=5770%2Blucid&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8