PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Upgrade to 10.04 on 8Gb USB Hard Drive?

LMCELHINEY
May 11th, 2010, 04:50 PM
I have a Dell Latitude D630 onto which I applied an installation of Ubuntu 9.10 on an 8GB external USB hard disk (mechanical, not FLASH) with now problems. It has been working beautifully, but I upgraded last night to Ubuntu 10.04. I had it run overnight and believe that I ran out of hard disk space, as I have less than 100MB left on the drive.

-I'd like to ensure that the installation completed properly so that I can run it for further modification/repair/reinstall.

-I know that this free space is inadequate and would like to either properly remove unneeded files or restart with a minimal installation of Ubuntu 10.04.

Is there anyone who could make suggestions as to where to start this process, please?

Thanks much for your time!

Larry

dino99
May 11th, 2010, 05:07 PM
8 Gb is enough to install the system alone (5 might be the minimum) but depend on how many extra packages (softwares) you have installed, so some can be removed i guess (look at software center).
Then, is the swap partition on this stick too ? if so you can reduce it.

of course, clean the installation and make room first: autoclean, autoremove, gconf-cleaner and bleachbit can help

Sven6210
May 14th, 2010, 06:06 AM
A clean install of 10.04 from a USB stick will be no problem.

Running an update might however be difficult. You already have Ubuntu and some other files on your harddisk and I assume you are using 6 GB of the existing 8 GB. When you make an online update from 9.10 to 10.04 Ubuntu first wants to downloads all updates (e.g. 4 GB) and then runs the installation of the updates. I admit that this is only a guess, but I expect Linux to work this way. So in your case the system tries to download 4 GB but only has 2 GB left. Obviously you will run out of space.

Maybe you want to consider a clean install. I did so on my EeePC with 16 GB SSD (I replaced the original slow 8 GB SSD with a much faster 16 GB SSD) and it was no problem. And 8 GB is definitely enough for an installation of 10.04