PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] cannot create partition: device or resource busy

babai
May 11th, 2010, 04:31 PM
Hi all! have been hearing only good things about lucid from all around, and thought of giving it a try. When installing I am selecting the manual partitioning scheme( I have arch on another partition). After I have selected my custom partitions and their mount points it starts the installation but almost immediately it gives the error message that it cannot create a partition on the specified one, as it is used by the OS. I have also tried to create partitions through gparted in the live session but to no avail. I am sure that no partitions are mounted or in use by the system, I have checked this using the mount and fuser commands. I also tried the oem installation but the result the same. Other distros are not having this problem, even Jaunty is not facing this.

I really want to test lucid, so pls help me!

dino99
May 11th, 2010, 04:33 PM
look at this mini howto:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=9216264&postcount=14

babai
May 11th, 2010, 04:42 PM
Thanks for the quick reply. Well, I know how to partition or install a distro( infact i'm a distrohopper). The problem is that its not letting me creating the neccessary partitions in the free space that I have left in my hdd. I have even created the partitions for it from a jaunty livecd, but when installing lucid it says cannot create an ext4 partition on it as its used by the OS.

babai
May 11th, 2010, 05:38 PM
i also created an usb startup disk to see if that works but......................