PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] What will happen if I leave 9.1 installed?

Silvertones
May 11th, 2010, 01:17 PM
9.1 works flawlessly for me day in and day out and has all of the features I need. I have no need to upgrade to 10.04 especially in light of all of the trouble. Can I just leave 9.1 and maybe wait 6-9 months to let 10.04 get sorted out? Will there still be security updates issued for 9.1 & for how long?
Thanks

howefield
May 11th, 2010, 01:25 PM
Can I just leave 9.1 and maybe wait 6-9 months to let 10.04 get sorted out? Will there still be security updates issued for 9.1 & for how long?

Of course.

9.10 is fully supported till April 2011.

darkod
May 11th, 2010, 01:29 PM
I really can't find a link to quote right now with exact info, but there should be updates at least for the next 6 months or so.

After 6 months 10.10 will come out so I guess that's when they will stop supporting 9.10, but the support might continue even after that, not sure.

10.04 as LTS will have regular support until the next LTS, usually 2yr.

You're perfectly fine running 9.10 as long as you're happy with it.

And don't forget, there will always be some "issues" when upgrading an OS, clean install is always better. Some of those issues are due to hardware, some due to users not knowing enough about ubuntu (myself included, not that I'm an expert), etc. And the forums are usually there to report problems and get solutions, so just reading a forum makes you think the OS is sh*t. :)

arpanaut
May 11th, 2010, 01:43 PM
http://www.ubuntu.com/products/ubuntu/release-cycle

mikewhatever
May 11th, 2010, 01:44 PM
Just to summarize:
every regular Ubuntu release is supported for 18 months
an LTS gets 3 years support on desktops, 5 on servers.

howefield
May 11th, 2010, 01:44 PM
After 6 months 10.10 will come out so I guess that's when they will stop supporting 9.10, but the support might continue even after that, not sure.

Each non LTS edition is supported for 18 months, meaning 9.10 has not far off a full year left.

LTS editions get extended support, 3 years on the desktop, and 5 years on the server.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/

Silvertones
May 11th, 2010, 10:43 PM
Thanks folks.
I think I'll resist the urge to upgrade until either they resolve the dual boot issue or I decide to just wipe Windows. My other computer is Windows and has to stay that way so i do have a Win back up if I should need it. I haven't used Win on this machine for 2 months. It just bogs down with all the necessary security software.