PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 10.04 install hangs on splash screen

bluetomgold
May 11th, 2010, 01:12 PM
Having loved using Ubuntu on my old Dell laptop I've been trying (failing) to install it on my Shuttle SB51G SFF PC for some time.

With the release of 10.04 and my increasing frustration with XP I've resolved to make this work. I want to keep XP on the machine for the time being but the main hard drive has a spare 20GB partition which should be more than enough for the install.

So I've downloaded the ISO, burned the disk. It boots up ok to the first menu and the disk passes the error check. However when I select either "install" or "run from disk" it comes up with the Ubuntu splashscreen and the flashing dots but soon hangs. The dots stop flashing and that's it.

I've had similar problems trying to boot from 9.x versions on this machine. My best guess is graphics issues (I'm currently using the onboard intel 845 graphics but also had problems with an Nvidea card I had installed) but am at a loss as to solving them...

Please help!

wojox
May 11th, 2010, 01:15 PM
Try entering F6 from the options screen at the bottom and set nomodeset

bluetomgold
May 11th, 2010, 02:42 PM
Thanks, just tried it. Still hangs on the splash screen. What's next?

axel_2078
May 11th, 2010, 03:36 PM
Thanks, just tried it. Still hangs on the splash screen. What's next?

Add the flags noapic and acpi=off in addition to nomodeset. See if that works. That's what I had to do.

bluetomgold
May 11th, 2010, 05:39 PM
Tried that, also tried turning off everything else in that F6 menu that can be turned off. No luck though. Still hangs on the same screen.

dino99
May 11th, 2010, 05:51 PM
maybe that:

When your computer is loading and Grub comes up, hit escape, and select the recovery mode option. When you get a screen asking what you want to do, select the option to drop to a shell. You can then work from there.

bluetomgold
May 11th, 2010, 06:30 PM
Ok, will have a look. Thanks.

Catharsis
May 11th, 2010, 07:43 PM
See if re-enabling KMS works:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Bugs/Lucidi8xxFreezes

bluetomgold
May 11th, 2010, 08:54 PM
Add "i915.modeset=1" after "quiet splash"

After, or before the "--" at the end?

Catharsis
May 11th, 2010, 08:56 PM
After, or before the "--" at the end?

It shouldn't matter. I added it before the dashes.

bluetomgold
May 11th, 2010, 09:47 PM
Tried re-enabling kms (i.e. adding "i915.modeset=1" after "quiet splash")

The good news is the splash screen is now presented in native high resolution for my monitor. Unfortunately it still hangs after a while, sticks on the "ubuntu and 5 dots" screen (has been static like that for at least 20 mins now...)

Hm... Incidentally, with earlier (9.x) versions of Ubuntu I just got a black screen crash after initial splash screen if memory serves. Likewise an attempt to install Crunchbang ended in the same result. This machine does not seem to like Ubuntu.

Incidentally I haven't tried combining this with the other suggestions, seems I'd be barking up the wrong tree, no?

Catharsis
May 11th, 2010, 09:52 PM
Try removing "quiet splash" as well.

bluetomgold
May 11th, 2010, 10:20 PM
OK.

Hangs after:

init:ureadahead-other main process (1006) terminated with status 4
init:ureadahead-other main process (1007) terminated with status 4

bluetomgold
May 11th, 2010, 11:36 PM
Any ideas?

bluetomgold
May 12th, 2010, 07:20 PM
Do people think that this IS an issue related to the 845 chipset?

There are more tweaks to try below, but beyond the first, which I tried, as a relative newbie I'm at a loss as to how to apply them.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Bugs/Lucidi8xxFreezes

Or should I just give up and accept that getting Ubuntu running on this machine is beyond me...

davidmohammed
May 12th, 2010, 08:23 PM
can you just repeat the advice for the following but remove the quiet splash from grub

i.e.
nomodeset
i915.modeset=1
i915.modeset=0

are the results similiar?

can you repeat the 3 boots above, but this time add xforcevesa as well as the above e.g. nomodeset xforcevesa.

What happens?

If still doesn't fix, use the recovery mode and type lspci and dump the contents here.

bluetomgold
May 13th, 2010, 12:01 AM
OK,

Tried the six variations above. Also tried adding "xforcevesa" without any changes to -modeset-

Either way it hangs. With "nomodeset" and "xforcevesa" it gets past

init: ureadahead-other main process (10**) terminated with status 4

and hangs at the next line

setting sensors limits [OK

Will try recovery mode although not exactly sure how to do that. Also might as well try plugging in another video card and see what happens.

bluetomgold
May 13th, 2010, 12:45 AM
Same crash with the Nvidea card. I'm planning on leaving it in as the display looks much better with it.

I can't work out how to get into recovery mode. Er... grub doesn't come up. If I hit escape in the setup screen it goes to a command line, is that it? Typing lspci just gives a "file not found" response.

davidmohammed
May 13th, 2010, 02:30 PM
OK,

Tried the six variations above. Also tried adding "xforcevesa" without any changes to -modeset-

Either way it hangs. With "nomodeset" and "xforcevesa" it gets past

init: ureadahead-other main process (10**) terminated with status 4

and hangs at the next line

setting sensors limits [OK

Will try recovery mode although not exactly sure how to do that. Also might as well try plugging in another video card and see what happens.

OK - since you can get past ureadahead but is stuck on sensors...

Have you tried booting with noapic or acpi=off i.e. nomodeset xforcevesa noapic

or

nomodeset xforcevesa acpi=off

Taus
May 13th, 2010, 09:56 PM
i have the exact same problem... my puter hangs just after setting sensors limit [OK]...

i managed to make it boot ONCE by ticking nomodeset at boot. i was tired and decided to continue with the install the next day. I have tried booting the live cd at least 30 times today with no luck. still hangs the same place no matter what option i set at boot. I hope someone clevar has a solution to this...

Taus
May 13th, 2010, 11:18 PM
yey! thanks davidmohammed!

i just successfully installed 10.04 by setting nomodeset and xforcevesa. awesomenesssss! :)

same problem on boot from hd tho... but after installing the drivers for my gfx it seems to work perfectly

thanks again

Captain Vascular
May 17th, 2010, 08:31 AM
yey! thanks davidmohammed!

i just successfully installed 10.04 by setting nomodeset and xforcevesa. awesomenesssss! :)

same problem on boot from hd tho... but after installing the drivers for my gfx it seems to work perfectly

thanks again

Ditto. On Mythbuntu, but same issue, solved the same way. Thanks.

bluetomgold
June 26th, 2010, 09:52 PM
Ok, I have tried booting from the CD numerous times to no avail, and have tried any number of settings as recommended. Tonight I decided to give it one more try. After a couple of abortive boots, this time it worked with nomodeset and xforcevesa. I've tried these settings unsuccessfully in the past, but as it's booted this time I've decided to go ahead with installation. This appears to be an intermittent fix - although it's possible that it's a combination of the Nvidea graphics card and the settings - all I can hope is that the resulting install works!

So far the boot from the CD seems to be working ok with the exceptions that the display is relatively low-res and it doesn't appear to have recognised my wireless card. Oh well. Wish me luck...

bluetomgold
June 26th, 2010, 10:11 PM
OK, good news and bad news.

The good news is the install kind of worked and didn't wreck my Windows installation.

The bad news is the installation hangs at boot up. nomodeset and xforcefesa now get me no further than

setting sensors limits OK

Help appreciated!

bluetomgold
June 26th, 2010, 10:18 PM

or

Makes no difference.

bluetomgold
June 26th, 2010, 10:26 PM
Attached is a screenshot of lspci result

bluetomgold
June 26th, 2010, 11:26 PM
I'd really appreciate some help with this if anyone has any ideas.

I've tried all of the things suggested already, the boot always hangs at or just before setting sensors limits OK

Catharsis
June 26th, 2010, 11:54 PM
Try booting into recovery mode and selecting "failsafeX". Just hold down Shift while booting, select the "(recovery mode)" kernel and select "failsafeX".

If that doesn't work, boot without "quiet splash" and see if you get any errors.

bluetomgold
June 27th, 2010, 12:57 AM
Oh dear.

Now I've gone and lost grub having just reinstalled Windows XP. I can't work out how to get a terminal prompt up even to restore it.

Catharsis
June 28th, 2010, 04:42 AM
Oh dear.

Now I've gone and lost grub having just reinstalled Windows XP. I can't work out how to get a terminal prompt up even to restore it.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2#Reinstalling%20GRUB 2

bluetomgold
July 12th, 2010, 10:32 PM
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2#Reinstalling%20GRUB 2

Er...

kuvanito
July 14th, 2010, 10:15 AM
i love buntu ppl but to go throu all this trouble to install it's nuts
instead download the latest mint and have fun or if you really love buntu
then install a previous version and upgrade to latest.my 2 c :popcorn:

note:buntu=ubuntu,short in zulu.

bluetomgold
August 2nd, 2010, 12:42 AM

I sort of agree... trouble is now I've got used to Ubuntu on my other machine XP is looking decidedly clunky. I will give Mint a try and perhaps Ubuntu 8.x - I couldn't get 9.x to boot on the machine in question when I tried a year or so ago... and neither would it boot crunchbang... apparently this is not a machine that likes Linux!

bluetomgold
August 4th, 2010, 12:01 PM
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2#Reinstalling%20GRUB 2 (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2#Reinstalling%20GRUB%202)

These fixes all assume I can boot from a CD to the ubuntu desktop, which I cannot. This happened once, but it appears to have been a fluke.

bluetomgold
August 4th, 2010, 12:03 PM

Tried Mint 9, same deal, CD boot hangs at splash screen.

Have downloaded Ubuntu 8.04 and will give it a try when I get a chance.

bluetomgold
August 5th, 2010, 01:53 AM
Ok. Hardy Heron installed fine! Great news. Any tips on how to get my wireless card working so I can get online and update it?

Catharsis
August 6th, 2010, 07:39 AM
Ok. Hardy Heron installed fine! Great news. Any tips on how to get my wireless card working so I can get online and update it?

System->Administration->Hardware Drivers.

bluetomgold
August 7th, 2010, 01:49 AM
OK!!! Believe it or not I've solved this issue, which it turns out was caused by...my wireless card.

Cut a long story short following an update which hung just like all the other aborted attempts I ended up semi-successfully installing openSUSE, which hung while checking for network devices. On a hunch I pulled my wireless card out and rebooted. No problem any more. A google search revealed that the chipset on the Belkin card does not play nice with Linux in general...

I couldn't get openSUSE to connect to my network, so after a good few hours of fiddling I thought maybe, just maybe the network card might have been the issue all along...and perhaps I should try Ubuntu again.

So - I haven't installed "normal" Ubuntu, as the Mint CD turned up first, and I thought I'd give it a go. I have now successfully booted Mint with no messing required, which had an identical issue to standard Ubuntu, so I'm 99% confident that's that what it was. Well, finally it ain't broke, so I ain't gonna try and fix it. I think I'll try Mint out and see how I get on.

Thanks for all the help. It's only been a few days out of my life...

Zeffer
August 15th, 2010, 01:04 PM
Thanks nomodeset xforcevesa acpi=off work for my prob in the Toshiba L10

Xamith
August 30th, 2010, 01:47 PM

or

this seemed to work for the live cd!! Thanks!!

Flaming_Amarant
August 31st, 2010, 08:29 AM
I had the same problem for over a month... after a lot of struggling, I realized that the problem was not with my video card / settings, or anything related. It was because of the mount in smbfs I had to my 1TB NAS (MyBookWorld). As soon as I changed it to NFS, everything was solved!

littlepear
September 2nd, 2010, 02:29 AM
Try Knoppix?

Oh dear.

dazfuller
September 23rd, 2010, 11:46 PM
Just found this thread today whilst having problems installing Ubuntu 10.04 onto a new Dell M5010R. changing the boot options to:

worked a treat, after I managed to boot I installed the ATI and Broadcom drivers and now it boots perfectly.

Thanks all
:guitar:

gavarchand
March 14th, 2012, 07:28 AM
Having loved using Ubuntu on my old Dell laptop I've been trying (failing) to install it on my Shuttle SB51G SFF PC for some time.

With the release of 10.04 and my increasing frustration with XP I've resolved to make this work. I want to keep XP on the machine for the time being but the main hard drive has a spare 20GB partition which should be more than enough for the install.

So I've downloaded the ISO, burned the disk. It boots up ok to the first menu and the disk passes the error check. However when I select either "install" or "run from disk" it comes up with the Ubuntu splashscreen and the flashing dots but soon hangs. The dots stop flashing and that's it.

I've had similar problems trying to boot from 9.x versions on this machine. My best guess is graphics issues (I'm currently using the onboard intel 845 graphics but also had problems with an Nvidea card I had installed) but am at a loss as to solving them...

Please help!..

gavarchand
March 14th, 2012, 07:31 AM
pls solve