PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Boot problems after installing Sabayon on dual boot with Lucid

ubukool
May 11th, 2010, 12:05 PM
Hi everyone,

I've recently installed Sabayon in dual boot with Lucid but Sabayon trashed my grub I can't get either of them to boot. When I boot up, I just get the grub prompt. I've tried lots of things including reinstalling grub. The latest thing I did was to get grub to find my installs and make a new grub.cfg so I tried:

sudo update-grub

and I got the message:

grub-probe: error: cannot find a device for /

So now I'm stuck. Does anyone have any ideas how I can get a dual boot between Sabayon and Lucid going grub-wise? Thanks for your help. :)

ubukool
May 11th, 2010, 03:26 PM
Hi everyone,

It's fixed :) Next time I tried to boot into Lucid Lynx, grub gave me a menu and I was able to boot no problem so grub is properly installed and working. I then had a brainwave that the

grub-probe: error: cannot find a device for /

message was because my Sabayon partition wasn't mounted so grub couldn't see it. I mounted it and did an 'update-grub' and grub could see all my kernels and partitions. For those who are having a similar problem, just make sure all your partitions containing distro filesystems are mounted before updating grub. I haven't checked but I assume my grub.cfg file is now up to date.

P.S, how do I mark this thread as 'solved'?