PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] update from 8.10 to 10.04?

ottosykora
May 11th, 2010, 11:39 AM
Ok I read the hwto, it seems that update from 8.04lts to next lts is supported directly, but not from 8.10.

I have older laptop, where the only thing I could install some time ago, was the xubuntu 8.10. It was not able to handle later versions as then graphic card crashed. This I did test also with running from live CD, no later xubuntu or ubuntu was able to run from live CD.
But now! The 10.04 live CD start without problem, all fast and perfect. Therefore I would like to upgrade to 10.04, but how to do it? If I just update via net to 9.04 and then 9.10, during this , the GUI will certainly not work. After updating to 9.04, I will certainly not be able to run any GUI at all.
Is there any advise how to proceed in such case, somehow with CLI only or so simply to reach 10.04 finally and boot to nice gnome gui?

howefield
May 11th, 2010, 11:47 AM
You have two choices, firstly to upgrade sequentially but seeing as that doesn't work for you, maybe the best option would be to clean install.

Back up everything you don't want to lose and do a fresh install.

narendraD
May 11th, 2010, 03:17 PM
As suggested a clean install is the best option and that too preferably from an Alternate Install CD.

snowpine
May 11th, 2010, 03:25 PM
A fresh install of 10.04 is your best option as 8.10 has reached its "end of life."

ottosykora
May 11th, 2010, 04:14 PM
I have separate /home partition on that one. Will the contenst be somehow used when I make new install to the former / partition of the 8.10?
Or will all rather get more confused by that?

oldfred
May 11th, 2010, 05:29 PM
It has all your user settings in /home and should use most of them even though you are skipping versions. You will have to use manual install to allow you to choose partitions and choose NOT FORMAT on the /home partition.

some more info on my post #7
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1479309