PDA

View Full Version : I've Been Cheating!!!

FootySr
May 11th, 2010, 05:54 AM
Even though I have been using Ubuntu for over a year now on my main computer, I have 2 computers at my desk and have had XP loaded on the other.

I've kept XP around for 2 reasons.

I would occasionally play a racing sim but I hung up my wheel completely a few months back and really don't expect to go back. Hey, 7 years of sim racing is enough and I can't believe how much free time I have. Sim racing can be very time consuming. I had already been playing 99% of my games on the Xbox anyway and figure I'll just go with that full time now.

The other reason is that I would sometimes need to fire up Photoshop for a project or two, it was just easier because I know the program so well. However, I do love using GIMP too and I really believe it's just as powerful of a program, I just need a bit more time with it.

That said, I'm considering installing Ubuntu 64bit on that computer and just "playing" with it. This way I could really test some things out in Ubuntu without concern of screwing stuff up on my main computer. I've always played it pretty safe, sticking with Ubuntu 32bit for fear of issues that I couldn't deal with. I've also been pretty light on my Terminal usage as well, with exception of checking an md5sum or two I've pretty much stayed clear of it.

What ya think? ;)

WinterRain
May 11th, 2010, 06:01 AM
sticking with Ubuntu 32bit for fear of issues that I couldn't deal with.

Just about every thing you can do in 32bit you can do with 64bit. There shouldn't be any issues from where I sit. I went 64bit a year ago, and will never go back to 32. 64 feels faster and is very stable. I say go for it.

vaiocomputer
May 11th, 2010, 06:48 AM
Yep, 64 bit is very stable in my experience. Didn't have even one issue versus the 32 bit version.

Crunchy the Headcrab
May 11th, 2010, 07:30 AM
I've never even considered 32bit.

1: Because I have a lot of RAM that I'd like the system to recognize
2: 64bit has always worked fine

pwnst*r
May 11th, 2010, 02:09 PM
Not seeing the "cheating". Are you sneaking around behind your girlfriend's back?

98cwitr
May 11th, 2010, 02:54 PM
you can get PS to work in Linux :popcorn:

germanix
May 11th, 2010, 03:04 PM
I congratulate you on your courage to come out like that and openly admit that you have been cheating on Ubuntu and was secretly having an affair with Windows on the side. It takes a man to admit to his mistakes but you have now come clean and I for one are prepared to forgive you for this trespass. I hope that you have learned your lesson and will not do it again.

RiceMonster
May 11th, 2010, 03:05 PM
Meh, it's just as OS. I use Windows 7 about as much as I use Linux at home.

Doctor Mike
May 11th, 2010, 03:16 PM
If you were thinking of Ubuntu while you had your hands on Windows I'm sure all could be forgiven.

98cwitr
May 11th, 2010, 03:40 PM
Meh, it's just as OS. I use Windows 7 about as much as I use Linux at home.

blasphemy! ;)

bowens44
May 11th, 2010, 03:48 PM
64 bit should present no issues. I have had none.

I use photoshop CS2 in Ubuntu , it runs flawlessly.

ridetheteapot
May 11th, 2010, 03:56 PM
64bit is no problem at all - 99% of stuff you need is available. occasionally there are things only available as 32bit binaries - but its still no problem ; you just need the 32bit compatibility libraries, and the 32bit libraries ---

search around for a script called getlibs. its really useful for finding out 32bit binaries' requirements && installing them.
wine1.2 is really nice now too - updates are rolling out at a vicious pace.

FootySr
May 11th, 2010, 08:39 PM
Thanks Guys! Installing 64bit on my backup computer now. :)

I hear that 64bit Flash is the bomb. I'll have to search for that install procedure. ;)

Me so scared! hehe

FootySr
May 11th, 2010, 08:45 PM
By the way... I'm Windows free now. ;)

Now I just have to convert my wife and 2 kids! Actually, my son ran Ubuntu for a few months but he'd been disappointed by the performance of some online Java based game he's been playing.

Thanks Again!