PDA

View Full Version : I need help with my essay...

Legendary_Bibo
May 11th, 2010, 02:15 AM
Yeah I know this section is for help with the OS, but I figure some of you guys would still be able to help me on this considering you've probably got a wealth of knowledge on this. For my C++ class I have to right an essay on something that has to do with computing or anything in the computer world. So I decided to do mine on fact that even when you buy software you don't actually own it, but you just have a "license" to use it. I've brainstormed how this can lead to issues and abuse of control that companies have over the hardware such as with cell phones and stuff like that. Anyone else got any ideas where I can also go with this topic?:popcorn:

GarmaZed
May 11th, 2010, 02:40 AM
Well, for starters, you could probably look into the "Open Source Definition" (http://www.opensource.org/docs/definition.php) for a look at the ideas that built the GPL (General Public License) license, which Ubuntu itself is mostly under. Bruce Perens had done a large part of the work, and he credits much of his inspiration to Richard Stallman (interesting interviews in the movie Revolution OS, if you have the Netflix service you can stream it).

Iowan
May 11th, 2010, 02:41 AM
Moved to Cafe.
From CoC:

While we are happy to serve as a resource for hints and for asking questions when you get stuck and need a little help, the Ubuntu Forums should not be thought of as a homework service. Please do not post your homework assignments expecting someone else to do it for you. Any such threads will be taken offline and warnings or infractions may be issued.

ubunterooster
May 11th, 2010, 02:43 AM
I'm surprised it's not locked. The thread that is.

Legendary_Bibo
May 11th, 2010, 02:55 AM
Oh sorry, I didn't know Mr.Mod. Won't happen again.

dearingj
May 11th, 2010, 04:40 AM
...So I decided to do mine on fact that even when you buy software you don't actually own it, but you just have a "license" to use it. I've brainstormed how this can lead to issues and abuse of control that companies have over the hardware such as with cell phones and stuff like that. Anyone else got any ideas where I can also go with this topic?:popcorn:

Have you read Richard Stallman's short story "The Right to Read (http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/right-to-read.html)"? It's all about issues that arise from the use of restrictive licenses.

spinlock99
May 11th, 2010, 07:21 PM
You should look into why Richard Stalman started the GNU foundation in the first place. Basically, he got mad at the problem of not "owning" the software that ran a printer (I think, be sure to double check my facts for your essay). This led him to create an operating system that users would truly "own" and be able to understand, modify, and - the real goal - use in an unfettered manner.

Good luck with your assignment.

Random_Dude
May 11th, 2010, 08:28 PM
You could also watch Revolution OS. It's an interesting documentary, and you might get some ideas.:popcorn:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7707585592627775409&q=revolution+os#