PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Old kernels in Grub2 don't exist

dndrich
May 11th, 2010, 02:11 AM
Ubuntupals:

I just installed 10.04 over my previous dual boot with Windows7 and 9.10. Went well. Now, in the Grub2 menu, there are like 14 kernels. I tried to find them in Synaptic to delete them, but they are not there! So, I went to grub.cfg and deleted the entries, updated grub, and they were back! How do I get rid of these entries?

igf1
May 11th, 2010, 02:29 AM
sudo update-grub

Have you tried that?

dndrich
May 11th, 2010, 02:36 AM
Yes. For some reason it is finding images that don't seem to exist. At least, I can't find them in Synaptic. And, other than grub, this is a clean install. I deleted the partition that had 9.10 when I installed 10.04. So, I have 10.04, Windows7, swap, etc. Can't figure out how to get rid of these!

garvinrick4
May 11th, 2010, 02:38 AM
Ubuntupals:

I just installed 10.04 over my previous dual boot with Windows7 and 9.10. Went well. Now, in the Grub2 menu, there are like 14 kernels. I tried to find them in Synaptic to delete them, but they are not there! So, I went to grub.cfg and deleted the entries, updated grub, and they were back! How do I get rid of these entries? There is a file in grub somewhere where you can set how many kernels to hold before it throws them away.
Going to look for it in a while, memory stinks sometimes when looking for paths.
Usually for users with one OS and you do not see the grub menu at boot and kernels can
stack up. Me I keep 2 kernels active for each install. I believe default was about 10 kernels or so, a lot anyway. Wish I could remember the path but I will sooner or later. Only a few places it could be. Now with computer janitor even GUI will tell you when there are multiples.
You should try CODE:

sudo aptitude update && sudo aptitude upgrade

In terminal and it will tell you what should be tossed and how to do it.

dndrich
May 11th, 2010, 02:46 AM
There is a file in grub somewhere where you can set how many kernels to hold before it throws them away.
Going to look for it in a while, memory stinks sometimes when looking for paths.
Usually for users with one OS and you do not see the grub menu at boot and kernels can
stack up. Me I keep 2 kernels active for each install. I believe default was about 10 kernels or so, a lot anyway. Wish I could remember the path but I will sooner or later. Only a few places it could be. Now with computer janitor even GUI will tell you when there are multiples.
You should try CODE:

sudo aptitude update && sudo aptitude upgrade

In terminal and it will tell you what should be tossed and how to do it.

What is so weird is that I ran the code above, and it says 0 for upgrade or remove. I have searched in Synaptic, and these kernels are not there. Yet they appear in the grub list on boot. Would love to get rid of them.

igf1
May 11th, 2010, 02:50 AM
hmm, I havnt done this on ubuntu (or Grub2 for that matter)

Here's a link https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2#/etc/default/grub

That should help.

dndrich
May 11th, 2010, 02:51 AM
OK, I found the kernels in /boot. I gksudo nautilus, and deleted them. I then ran update-grub, and that did it. Don't know what those were doing there, but there you have it.