PDA

View Full Version : stop talking on cellphone when driving

inobe
May 11th, 2010, 02:08 AM
someone can get seriously injured or killed !

themarker0
May 11th, 2010, 02:10 AM
Its a law in most provinces and states that count.

cariboo
May 11th, 2010, 02:16 AM
In my part of Canada, if you get caught using your cell phone while driving, its a $169.00 fine

NMFTM
May 11th, 2010, 02:19 AM
Talking on the cell phone while driving is a lot less distracting than fiddling with an advanced car radio that has all kinds of volume settings and interfaces with your mp3 player. I only drive with one hand anyway.

KiwiNZ
May 11th, 2010, 02:20 AM
I am amazed when I am in my SUV how many people I see in their cars text messaging while driving. What complete wombats.

KiwiNZ
May 11th, 2010, 02:22 AM
Talking on the cell phone while driving is a lot less distracting than fiddling with an advanced car radio that has all kinds of volume settings and interfaces with your mp3 player. I only drive with one hand anyway.

I am tired of idiots trying to kill me just because that cell phone call about the party next week is soooooooooooo important.:rolleyes:

lisati
May 11th, 2010, 02:23 AM
I am amazed when I am in my SUV how many people I see in their cars text messaging while driving. What complete wombats.

Not to mention it being illegal here since November (?)

KiwiNZ
May 11th, 2010, 02:24 AM
I am in favour of radios being banned in cars unless they have controls in the steering wheel.

oxf
May 11th, 2010, 02:29 AM
When they banned it here it did make quite a difference. There's still a few who do it but around my neck of the wood the police hold periodic purges and dish out the fines. I use a mobile myself but not while driving and totally support the ban! I have enough trouble walking in a straight line while on the phone let alone trying to drive!

witeshark17
May 11th, 2010, 02:35 AM
I totally agree! It's retarded how some people drive without babbling on the phone! Anyway, if I see a retarded move by someone while on the phone, I make a point of beeping my horn so the person on the other end can hear how the retard is driving (if I can) :popcorn:

oxf
May 11th, 2010, 02:39 AM
What gets me is if I'm in the restroom and someones babbling on their phone who then gives you a dirty look when you use the hand dryer!

Padapwa
May 11th, 2010, 02:41 AM

Not to mention other things, like fiddling with whatever, a baby in the vehicle that craves attention...

Driving while tired.

Driving while on caffeine.

Driving while being alive.

Driving when dead.

BAN everything!

KiwiNZ
May 11th, 2010, 02:48 AM
Not to mention other things, like fiddling with whatever, a baby in the vehicle that craves attention...

Driving while tired.

Driving while on caffeine.

Driving while being alive.

Driving when dead.

BAN everything!

So we shouldn't try to make roads safer and reduce the terrible waste of human life.:rolleyes:

themusicalduck
May 11th, 2010, 02:49 AM
I once witnessed someone texting on their phone while riding a moped through a city centre #-o

And I nearly got taken out by someone driving while I was walking on the pavement, while they were talking on their phone. :|

Yes
May 11th, 2010, 02:50 AM
I was driving with a friend at night a few days ago when he started changing the song on his iPod while changing lanes at a light. It was midly terrifying.

RiceMonster
May 11th, 2010, 03:19 AM
It was recently made illegal province wide in Ontario, Canada which is where I live. I've talked on my cellphone a few times while driving, and I'll have to agree that it is distracting. Texting, however, is far worse in my opinion, because it takes your eyes off the road. Of course, that illegal as well, because the law bans using hand held devices while driving.

gerowen
May 11th, 2010, 03:40 AM
I'm against government intervention of this nature. Any time we ask the government to step in and dictate what we can and cannot do, we give away a piece of our freedom. Any man/woman who would sacrifice his freedom for a feeling of security didn't deserve it in the first place. I haven't read every post yet but so far I've seen suggestions to ban cell phones and fiddling with the radio. Next thing you know window cranks will be outlawed because it's more distracting than using the motorized windows; and then manual transmissions because you have to take one hand off the wheel to shift. Let's just face the fact that the world always has been and always will be full of stupid people who are out to kill you, whether they intend to or not.

Around here I don't think the cell phone bans have made much of a difference at all, people get arrested and fined all the time, and I still see them doing it. More people have bluetooth headsets now which are legal, but people are prone to doing stupid things, making a law against it just means they'll find some other way to act just as stupid.

KiwiNZ
May 11th, 2010, 03:45 AM
I'm against government intervention of this nature. Any time we ask the government to step in and dictate what we can and cannot do, we give away a piece of our freedom. Any man/woman who would sacrifice his freedom for a feeling of security didn't deserve it in the first place. I haven't read every post yet but so far I've seen suggestions to ban cell phones and fiddling with the radio. Next thing you know window cranks will be outlawed because it's more distracting than using the motorized windows; and then manual transmissions because you have to take one hand off the wheel to shift. Let's just face the fact that the world always has been and always will be full of stupid people who are out to kill you, whether they intend to or not.

Around here I don't think the cell phone bans have made much of a difference at all, people get arrested and fined all the time, and I still see them doing it. More people have bluetooth headsets now which are legal, but people are prone to doing stupid things, making a law against it just means they'll find some other way to act just as stupid.

You are against government trying to save lives?

"Around here I don't think the cell phone bans have made much of a difference at all, people get arrested and fined all the time, and I still see them doing it." That tells me the penalties are not hard enough.

Chronon
May 11th, 2010, 04:04 AM
Any man/woman who would sacrifice his freedom for a feeling of security didn't deserve it in the first place.
We have all heard this line before, but it speaks of freedom as a monolithic, indivisible solid, rather than something that can be increased or decreased in increments. I do not see freedom as an all or nothing proposition. To speak of it so gives rather odd appearances since all civilizations carry certain common prohibitions.

gerowen
May 11th, 2010, 04:31 AM
We have all heard this line before, but it speaks of freedom as a monolithic, indivisible solid, rather than something that can be increased or decreased in increments. I do not see freedom as an all or nothing proposition. To speak of it so gives rather odd appearances since all civilizations carry certain common prohibitions.

I see your point, there "has" to be some semblance of order and rule of law for a society to be sustainable, and maybe I'm a tad on the conservative side. Lately though it seems like every time somebody does something wrong nobody asks the right questions. They don't ask, "What did this person do and why?", they ask, "What should the government do to fix this?" Why does the government have to step in and fix everything? Why can't "people" be held accountable for their own actions without forcing more rules and regulations down the throats of all the people who did not commit that particular crime?

I'm not trying to throw out your argument, I'm just explaining mine.

Ebere
May 11th, 2010, 05:13 AM
Whenever I drive into town, if I see a driver in another car, talking on the phone, I immediately call 911 and report them !

wilee-nilee
May 11th, 2010, 05:19 AM

There is empirical peer reviewed data that shows how dangerous it is to use a cell while driving. That is why there are laws that prevent it in most places now at least in America. If there was the same data on what you suggest it would have laws covering it.

MasterNetra
May 11th, 2010, 05:24 AM
Whats worse is texting and driving a friend of mine is too stubborn to quit, I was riding with him once while he was doing I was trying to get to stop texting and just drive I mean while he was texting he was drifting all over the place. Texting & Driving needs to be banned period. Make into a reckless endangerment charge, for that is what it is.

yester64
May 11th, 2010, 05:33 AM
Well, i almost got hit last time by a lady having a cellphone in the right hand and not seeing a red light. I just seen smoking tires.

There is no explanation needed really. Or?

yester64
May 11th, 2010, 05:34 AM
btw. i don't see it enforced by any cop really. Here in California we have the law but so far i have not seeing people change their habits.

Perhaps it takes time.

Endomancer
May 11th, 2010, 05:37 AM
Here in Australia anything that requires holding a phone whilst driving is illegal, unfortunately it still doesn't stop people using mobile phones whilst driving.
I used to work on the roads as a traffic controller and constantly seen people talking or texting on their phone whilst driving, in fact one case almost cost me my life.
Working in the Blue Mountains during the construction of the new underpass under the rail line from the highway at Hazelbrook I had one idiot in a white Holden Commodore doing 80km/h in a 40km/h construction zone so busy chatting on his phone that he didn't even see the stop bat I was holding, he just drove straight into it, and kept going not even slowing down.
So I think the penalties are obviously not enough to stop people from endangering others with their stupidity

lisati
May 11th, 2010, 05:40 AM
Working in the Blue Mountains during the construction of the new underpass under the rail line from the highway at Hazelbrook I had one idiot in a white Holden Commodore doing 80km/h in a 40km/h construction zone so busy chatting on his phone that he didn't even see the stop bat I was holding, he just drove straight over it.

Unlikely to have made a difference if he was a Ford driver..... :)

Endomancer
May 11th, 2010, 06:09 AM
Unlikely to have made a difference if he was a Ford driver..... :)
That is true idiots drive all makes and models, Iv even seen police (the very people who are supposed to enforce the law) breaking this one

chucky chuckaluck
May 11th, 2010, 06:17 AM
if they're not going to ban cellphone use while in a car, they should legalize drunk driving. at least drunks are trying to pay attention.

Rususeruru
May 11th, 2010, 06:55 AM
I'll be honest here, I've both held phone convos and sent/received txt messages when driving.

I still hold phone convos from time to time though they are short and anymore I don't hang up when the call ends. And I feel like my attention is 80% driving 20% phone while I do this, (there are long pauses that the other person on the line has to deal with)

I no longer txt and drive. I have a Motorola Droid and both the keyboard and touchscreen are virtually unusable without looking to at the phone thus I no longer text while driving. When I did txt the process was holding the phone centered over the steering column, typing by touch and raising the phone into my field of vision to quickly verify or read a message. If the message was long (more than 2-3 lines) I wouldn't read it or type it when driving.

Why did I state how I used to compose and read text messages? Because I've ridden with a lot of friends who will hold the phone off to the right (near the radio/over the center console) and don't realize that when doing so you naturally torque your body to the right so that what you're looking at is then centered with your chest. In doing this the hand that is steering also moves with the body to the right and they unknowingly begin to drift.
Ultimately I find it the same as fiddling with the radio. If you can't do it by touch you shouldn't do it while driving.

I can also say even if I didn't have the Droid I don't think I'd still text and drive, I moved from a very rural area to an urban area.

tjwoosta
May 11th, 2010, 07:36 AM
lol, people are pretty damn stupid if you ask me.

Every morning on the way to work I see people on the highway doing stupid stuff. I see people all the time reading a newspaper (or even a book), while drinking a coffee, and fiddling with their phones, occasionally taking a peek at the road ahead over the top of the paper. Its just ridiculous. Im talking like every five or six cars theres somebody reading the paper while driving. I also see women all the time doing there makeup in the rear view mirror. How stupid can they possibly get?

inobe
May 11th, 2010, 06:44 PM
i seen a fella several cars ahead of me take out several mail boxes then end up in a ditch, the fella gets out of his vehicle with his phone still glued to the side of his head..

this reminds me of someone that lost his wife, she was getting the mail when a vehicle jumped the curb and hit her.

johndharvey
May 11th, 2010, 07:14 PM
Some related statistics from a university study:

Light Vehicle/Cars
Dialing Cell Phone: 2.8 times as high as non‐distracted driving
Talking/Listening to Cell Phone: 1.3 times as high as non‐distracted driving
Reaching for object (i.e. electronic device and other): 1.4 times as high as non‐distracted driving

Heavy Vehicles/Trucks
Dialing Cell phone: 5.9 times as high as non‐distracted driving
Talking/Listening to Cell Phone: 1.0 times as high as non‐distracted driving
Use/Reach for electronic device: 6.7 times as high as non‐distracted driving
Text messaging: 23.2 times as high as non‐distracted driving

Source: http://www.vtti.vt.edu/PDF/7-22-09-VTTI-Press_Release_Cell_phones_and_Driver_Distraction.p df

Random_Dude
May 11th, 2010, 07:19 PM
Driving when dead.

BAN everything!

I agree, those corpses are really reckless! :x

RiceMonster
May 11th, 2010, 07:30 PM
I agree, those corpses are really reckless! :x

Don't discriminate. Zombies have just as much a right to drive as you do.

Random_Dude
May 11th, 2010, 07:44 PM
Don't discriminate. Zombies have just as much a right to drive as you do.

It's not a matter of discrimination, 99.9% of them lack bodyparts which are essential for operating an automobile.

RiceMonster
May 11th, 2010, 07:46 PM
It's not a matter of discrimination, 99.9% of them lack bodyparts which are essential for operating an automobile.

But that leaves some that don't lack such bodyparts, does it not?

pwnst*r
May 11th, 2010, 07:46 PM
someone can get seriously injured or killed !

Depends. If you're using a hands free device, then talking on the phone is no different than talking to passengers.

Texting is MUCH more dangerous than talking on the phone for obvious reasons.

Random_Dude
May 11th, 2010, 08:03 PM
But that leaves some that don't lack such bodyparts, does it not?

Those aren't covered by insurance due to lack of heartbeat.

oldsoundguy
May 11th, 2010, 08:07 PM
Depends. If you're using a hands free device, then talking on the phone is no different than talking to passengers.

Texting is MUCH more dangerous than talking on the phone for obvious reasons.

That is an assumption. What about those that must talk with their hands? Have seen that!

All the talk about "rights" .. driving is NOT a right. You have to take a test to gain the privilege of driving. (sometime think that should apply to buying a computer, too .. but that is a different thread! LOL)

And "rights" ... Your rights end at the end of your nose. The moment someone else is hauled into the picture, your rights become PERSONAL ONLY. IF what you do has an adverse effect on someone else, what you are doing is WRONG. (simply because they have RIGHTS!)

That is what is done in a civilized society .. emphasis on CIVIL .. something that has become a long distant memory for way too many.

pwnst*r
May 11th, 2010, 08:14 PM
That is an assumption. What about those that must talk with their hands? Have seen that!

Those that talk with their hands do that no matter if it's on the phone or in person. Not sure if you thought that all the way through or not.

Calash
May 11th, 2010, 08:17 PM
Whenever I drive into town, if I see a driver in another car, talking on the phone, I immediately call 911 and report them !

I just send a text to 911. It is faster that way ;)

oldsoundguy
May 11th, 2010, 08:25 PM
Those that talk with their hands do that no matter if it's on the phone or in person. Not sure if you thought that all the way through or not.

Hey, did think that out ... when talking to a passenger ..there is somebody in the car to tell them to "watch the road"!

pwnst*r
May 11th, 2010, 08:32 PM
So now you're talking about their head and where there eyes are looking and not their hand gestures? Make up your mind.

pricetech
May 11th, 2010, 08:37 PM

Don't insult the wombats.

oldsoundguy
May 11th, 2010, 08:50 PM
So now you're talking about their head and where there eyes are looking and not their hand gestures? Make up your mind.

"watch the road" is USUALLY the expression voiced to make the person driving concentrate on the task at hand. "pay attention" is another oft used phrase.

In general, driving is not automatic (yet .. strides being made in that direction .. but it will be a while!)

As a person that spent thousands of hours behind the wheel of vehicles as I criss crossed across the US and Canada in my line of work, saw way too many that did not "watch the road" or "pay attention" for whatever reason. (from sleepiness to driving impaired to just being stupid.)

Driving is a responsibility task that has to take into consideration that there are OTHERS on the road.
(the old defensive driving axiom is that everybody else on the road is NUTS or not paying attention or even out to get you .. so be careful .. then add in the cell phone of now days!)

Objekt
May 11th, 2010, 09:02 PM
Sure wish gov't would follow its own rules. Last week, I watched a US Post Office vehicle turn left through a red light, with the driver on his cellphone (i.e. NOT hands-free) all the way.

lostinxlation
May 11th, 2010, 10:57 PM
It could be worse.

I have seen drivers eating lunch behind the wheels on the freeway many times.
Their hands weren't on the steering wheel, instead, they put pressure on the wheel to keep it still with lunch box that they were eating with forks from.
I also saw many drivers reading thick books while driving at 65 mph.

lisati
May 11th, 2010, 11:10 PM

All the talk about "rights" .. driving is NOT a right. You have to take a test to gain the privilege of driving.

Good observation. New Zealand has changed its laws in the thirty-something years since I gained my full license, and now there's a staggered arrangement with learners and restricted stages to go through before getting anywhere near a full license. However, this doesn't stop some <"unprintable">.......

It could be worse.

I have seen drivers eating lunch behind the wheels on the freeway many times.
Their hands weren't on the steering wheel, instead, they put pressure on the wheel to keep it still with lunch box that they were eating with forks from.
I also saw many drivers reading thick books while driving at 65 mph.

I've used my knees to steer, but wouldn't recommend making a habit of it: many (most?) situations require a degree of dexterity that isn't available this approach.

NightwishFan
May 11th, 2010, 11:48 PM
I do not like to be around cars let alone in them. Especially not being in or around cars and people with cell phones. >_<

Ebere
May 12th, 2010, 02:16 AM
(the old defensive driving axiom is that everybody else on the road is NUTS or not paying attention or even out to get you)

I very literally drive as if everyone on the road is deliberately TRYING to have a wreck with me.

I don't drive scared. I just drive aware and alert.

CFury
May 12th, 2010, 04:04 AM
You know what really gets the attention of a motorist swerving whilst texting? A firm kick to the door. I had to do that once. I'm surprised there aren't more motorcyclists here piping in on this topic.

Cheers,
C

chessnerd
May 12th, 2010, 07:23 AM
I don't answer my cell phone when I'm driving. If I remember to I turn the thing off (or silence it). It shouldn't even have to be a law; people should know better based on common sense. However, since it does need to come with a fine, the law should be universal to all states and countries.

cartman640
May 12th, 2010, 10:08 AM
I still talk on my cell phone in the car even though it's illegal. I don't however hold it to my ear (too obvious to spot) so I leave it in the phone holder and use speaker phone. The act of holding a conversation on a phone isn't too dangerous IMO, it's no different than talking to someone else in the car. I also use voice dialing so I don't have to look at my phone to dial.

I think anything that requires you to take your eyes off the road for any length of time is a bad thing, so I don't text in the car or change CD's, etc on the stereo but I will happily eat a burger, I don't need to look away from the road to do that and I can easily drive with one hand.

t0p
May 12th, 2010, 10:13 AM
There is empirical peer reviewed data that shows how dangerous it is to use a cell while driving. That is why there are laws that prevent it in most places now at least in America. If there was the same data on what you suggest it would have laws covering it.

You'd think so, wouldn't you?

I'm afraid I don't have any links (I'm sure Google will help you here) but I have read that the real issue re cellphones is the attention required for the conversation, not the distraction of using the handset (I'm talking about phone calls, not texting). So all cellphone use, including via headset or hands-free kit, should be banned, right? But in the UK it's okay to use hands-free equipment. And I believe that's how most countries'/states' bans are formulated. It's all based on the idea of banning the driver from driving round with a phone held to his head. Whereas really it's the conversation that causes the problem. So it should be illegal for a driver to talk to anyone. Probably ban radios and music players too.

Laws are frequently not sensible.

EDIT: Look at this:

Driving while using a handsfree (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Handsfree) cellular device is not safer than using a hand held cell phone, as concluded by case-crossover studies.[15] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_phones_and_driving_safety#cite_note-McEvoy-14)[16] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_phones_and_driving_safety#cite_note-Redelmeier-15) epidemiological,[1] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_phones_and_driving_safety#cite_note-Laberge-Nadeau2003-0)[2] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_phones_and_driving_safety#cite_note-Laberge-Nadeau2005-1) simulation,[4] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_phones_and_driving_safety#cite_note-Strayer-3) and meta-analysis[6] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_phones_and_driving_safety#cite_note-Caird-5)[7] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_phones_and_driving_safety#cite_note-Horrey-6). The increased "cognitive workload" involved in holding a conversation, not the use of hands, causes the increased risk
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_phones_and_driving_safety#Handsfree_device

Though of course the evidence is not conclusive, and one study often contradicts another.

Swagman
May 12th, 2010, 10:20 AM
We already have laws.

The offence is "Driving without due care and attention". it is quite a serious offence. ( It'll get you at least 6 points on your licence instead of just 3 for speeding)

How about enforcing current laws instead of making new ones ?

KiwiNZ
May 12th, 2010, 10:33 AM
You'd think so, wouldn't you?

I'm afraid I don't have any links (I'm sure Google will help you here) but I have read that the real issue re cellphones is the attention required for the conversation, not the distraction of using the handset (I'm talking about phone calls, not texting). So all cellphone use, including via headset or hands-free kit, should be banned, right? But in the UK it's okay to use hands-free equipment. And I believe that's how most countries'/states' bans are formulated. It's all based on the idea of banning the driver from driving round with a phone held to his head. Whereas really it's the conversation that causes the problem. So it should be illegal for a driver to talk to anyone. Probably ban radios and music players too.

Laws are frequently not sensible.

EDIT: Look at this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_phones_and_driving_safety#Handsfree_device

Though of course the evidence is not conclusive, and one study often contradicts another.

Maybe hands free is no more safer than hand held , but banning hand held and texting is a step in the right direction.

The next step is tougher sentences.Then zero Blood/Alcohol levels.

Mike BFD
May 12th, 2010, 10:49 AM
Maybe hands free is no more safer than hand held , but banning hand held and texting is a step in the right direction.

The next step is tougher sentences.Then zero Blood/Alcohol levels.
Handsfree seems to be pretty safe actually. It's just impossible to forbid any kind of talking in cars! Or, say, listening to the music.

However, handsfree (along with radio controls on steering wheel) helps to keep eyes on the road ahead - and I use both.

As to "zero alсohol level", I can just offer you folks to consult with a doctor. Any MD would confirm, alсohol a) is being generated by human body, though in small quantities and b) many "food stuff" (e.g. some milk products) contain certain quantities of alkohol, too.

The present Northern-European regulations (0.05% max level) look just logical from this point of view. "Pure zero" would just allow the police to choose at their will whom to call "driving drunk"...

t0p
May 12th, 2010, 01:24 PM
Handsfree seems to be pretty safe actually. It's just impossible to forbid any kind of talking in cars! Or, say, listening to the music.

Depending on which studies you choose to believe. Look at the Wikipedia article I linked to earlier - different studies come to widely different conclusions. Which ones are "right"? If the "experts" can't agree, who is going to make this decision? Most probably elected representatives who have no personal knowledge of the issue and who have a vested interest in pleasing their electorate.

As to "zero alсohol level", I can just offer you folks to consult with a doctor. Any MD would confirm, alсohol a) is being generated by human body, though in small quantities and b) many "food stuff" (e.g. some milk products) contain certain quantities of alkohol, too.

The present Northern-European regulations (0.05% max level) look just logical from this point of view. "Pure zero" would just allow the police to choose at their will whom to call "driving drunk"...

The simple fact is, if you've had a drink several days ago, a test will reveal there's still alcohol in your bloodstream. A small amount, sure, but more than zero.

A complete zero-tolerence approach to blood-alcohol levels will result in a great many drivers being punished when their faculties are in no way affected by the miniscule amount of alcohol still in their system after a drink several days ago. This kind of draconian measure might be "acceptable" in a dictatorship; but it just would not stand for long in a democratic society. Likewise a regime that bans drivers for "driving under the influence of drugs" if a test reveals any amount of, say, cannabis in the bloodstream. Cannabis remains in the system up to a month after smoking a joint - by which time there is absolutely no way the drug is affecting the driver's ability to drive. These kinds of laws need to be tempered with common sense. But common sense is often sorely lacking when we're talking about emotive subjects like drink or drug-driving. If you want to punish someone for using an illegal drug, then make that the charge. Don't try to claim it's motivated by road safety issues. A hypocritical or nonsensical law is more likely to be ignored or deliberately flouted. And rightly so, IMHO.

Mike BFD
May 12th, 2010, 01:54 PM
Depending on which studies you choose to believe. Look at the Wikipedia article I linked to earlier - different studies come to widely different conclusions. Which ones are "right"?..

I should confess, in this matter I believe only in my own, personal driving experience. A handset requires more attention and I have one hand busy (that's critical at least with a manual shift like that mine). A wireless headset don't bother me a lot, I keep my eyes on the road and my hands on the steering/shifting, that's why I considered handsfree to be more safe for me.
Studies? Good job guys - but those saying "handsfree is same dangerous" have probably never heard about manual shift cars))) Or think those were discontinued in early 1930s)))

Regarding alcohol, I can just subscribe to everything you said. Agree. +1.

Swagman
May 12th, 2010, 03:55 PM
Really makes you wonder how, years ago.. Truck drivers managed.

What with looking at a map whilst talking on the CB whilst rolling a smoke and checking out the chickies on the sidewalk !!

Frogs Hair
May 12th, 2010, 04:35 PM
I have never had a reason to take or make a call while driving , eating , or shopping.

gabriella
May 12th, 2010, 04:39 PM
It's all based on the idea of banning the driver from driving round with a phone held to his head. Whereas really it's the conversation that causes the problem. So it should be illegal for a driver to talk to anyone. Probably ban radios and music players too.

While the conversation is part of the distraction the fact is that with a handheld device you have one hand less available for driving. I can drive perfectly well with one hand until it comes to changing gear or a sharp turn. If something unexpected or an emergency takes place you definately should have both hands available. Really it's beyond me why people need to be tied to their phone all day anyway.

northwestuntu
May 12th, 2010, 05:53 PM
i don't know how many times ive seen people reading magazines going down the freeway :mad: sometimes it's hard to believe what some people do!

tjwoosta
May 12th, 2010, 07:28 PM
The sooner we have cars that drive themselves around the better. People will just never learn, even if there are legal penalties. They don't take the dangers of driving seriously. Its like oh that will never happen to me, I have ninja reflexes.

gabriella
May 12th, 2010, 07:40 PM
The sooner we have cars that drive themselves around the better. People will just never learn, even if there are legal penalties. They don't take the dangers of driving seriously. Its like oh that will never happen to me, I have ninja reflexes.

You know what gets me, at least in this part of England where roads are pretty congested, is the silly risks people take.

Like overtaking when there's oncoming traffic, the logic on their part is on the lines of "oh theres plenty of before I'll hit the oncomming car". Well what if there isn't? Its not a risk I'm prepared to take.

And again driving right on the tail of the vehicle in front. Whats the point? You still cant go any faster, its still in front of them and if anything happens they will smack into its rear. Why cant people see the danger and wait till its safe to pass? If the weather is at all foggy I refuse to even venture onto motorways there's just too many idiots around.

inobe
May 13th, 2010, 02:34 AM
You know what gets me, at least in this part of England where roads are pretty congested, is the silly risks people take.

Like overtaking when there's oncoming traffic, the logic on their part is on the lines of "oh theres plenty of before I'll hit the oncomming car". Well what if there isn't? Its not a risk I'm prepared to take.

And again driving right on the tail of the vehicle in front. Whats the point? You still cant go any faster, its still in front of them and if anything happens they will smack into its rear. Why cant people see the danger and wait till its safe to pass? If the weather is at all foggy I refuse to even venture onto motorways there's just too many idiots around.

i honk and yell to get them on their toes especially when they are practically riding the shoulder.

you should see the near collisions on the round abouts, these folks don't yield to oncoming traffic.

lisati
May 13th, 2010, 02:47 AM
It's not just the distractions that a phone can bring. I'm waiting for an accident to happen outside my place. Putting speed bumps in on our street doesn't seem to have helped. In fact, I think it has made things slightly worse: the kind of speed bumps we have are the "skimp on materials and put three smaller bumps side-by-side" kind on a two lane road. The nearest set is on a bend where down-hill traffic commonly cuts the corner to drive over the centre bump. I've lost count of the near misses I've seen when there's traffic in both directions.