PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Display problems with Ubuntu 10.04- Partial Upgrade

junio_buntu
May 11th, 2010, 12:14 AM
Hi,

I am new to Linux, I was using ubuntu 9.04 & 9.10. Recently I upgraded to 10.04, while doing it I was asked for a partial upgrade. I accepted.

And now I am messed up. Its a worst experience.

I cant see mouse pointer (displayed as 'X'). No maximise, minimise & close buttons on windows. Cant maximise any window. When I click on "show desktop button", it says "Your window manager does not support the show desktop button, or you are not running a window manager". Complete display is messed up.

I sorted it out, by changing the visual effects to "Normal" from "None" in "Appearance preferences". But it is temporary.(plz see the attached for screen shot)

Every time I reboot, I need to do this.

Can some one fix this, and provide me a permanent solution.

Thanks in advance.

cariboo
May 12th, 2010, 02:34 AM
Have you got the correct drivers for your graphics card installed?

junio_buntu
May 14th, 2010, 11:58 PM
Yes, I have right drivers installed.

Please see the below screen shot.

Thanks.
file:///tmp/moz-screenshot.pngfile:///tmp/moz-screenshot-1.png

cariboo
May 17th, 2010, 05:12 PM
You may need to run:

sudo nvidia-xconfig

in a terminal, then reboot.

junio_buntu
May 18th, 2010, 12:00 AM
You may need to run:

Code:
sudo nvidia-xconfig
in a terminal, then reboot.

>>>>>
I did it, still no change.

Lince88
May 18th, 2010, 01:58 AM
I have the same problem. My graphic card is an integrate form intel I think and does not use privative driver. What can i do?

samolang
May 24th, 2010, 02:56 PM
I have the same problem. I went to System->Preferences->Appearance, clicked on the "Visual Effects" tabs and changed it from "None" to "Normal". The problem disappears until I reboot.

hsoulen
May 24th, 2010, 03:32 PM
Check out the following threads:

Why Partial Upgrades should always be refused:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1343434

Some help if you get into trouble with a partial upgrade and video issues:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1450282

Good luck,

Hank

bkburket
June 9th, 2010, 10:29 PM
Same problem as everyone else. Links don't seem to resolve issue. I can fix laptop temp but goes back on reboot. Did NOT chose PARTIAL install on 10.04, but have exactly the same problem.

kelvinator
June 10th, 2010, 02:13 AM
After my upgrade to 10.04 I also had Partial Upgrade messages.
Tonight I looked at my list of repositories and discovered that I had a number of obsolete repositories. Once I unchecked them the problem went away.

[QUOTE=junio_buntu;9276504]Hi,

I am new to Linux, I was using ubuntu 9.04 & 9.10. Recently I upgraded to 10.04, while doing it I was asked for a partial upgrade. I accepted.