PDA

View Full Version : Where can I buy 1995 computers for dirt cheap prices?

dragos240
May 11th, 2010, 12:08 AM
Anyone know where I can snag some old computers from?

handy
May 11th, 2010, 12:19 AM
At the rubbish dump works for me.

$5- for a anything up to & including a PIV, (though they use too much power).

Bachstelze
May 11th, 2010, 12:21 AM
Or ebay if you can find someone near you who's selling one (otherwise shipping will cost more than the actual computer).

entikryst
May 11th, 2010, 12:32 AM
I got a computer (windows 98 era) at a church garage sale for $2. The only thing wrong with it is lack of a hard drive and the graphics card wasn't pushed in all the way. So it's running a puppy linux live cd and stores data on a thumb drive. My kids use it now. The monitor has a built in microphone and their was a PowerPoint presentation on the history of jesus in the cdrom tray. LOL. I'm getting a 5gb and 10gb Hard drive from an old friend and I'm gonna try putting crunchbang on it.

coolbrook
May 11th, 2010, 12:37 AM
Craigslist

98cwitr
May 11th, 2010, 12:52 AM
craigslist

K.Mandla
May 11th, 2010, 01:14 AM
PublicSurplus.com, your source for pallets of Pentium II machines. :shock:

sydbat
May 11th, 2010, 01:18 AM
Anyone know where I can snag some old computers from?Contact the electronic recyclers in your area and see what they have. You might get lucky and get stuff for free.

Frogs Hair
May 11th, 2010, 01:18 AM
If you have recycle drop off in your city check there , people plunder ours all the time .

Old_Grey_Wolf
May 11th, 2010, 01:20 AM
If you don't mind building "Frankenputers" from several computers, you could try "dumpster diving". I have been known to check the dumpsters behind electronic stores and dumpster in apartment complexes. In the electronic store dumpsters you can find new stuff that still works. In the apartment dumpsters you can find computers that are 5 years old or less. Since you live in the US you may what to Google search on the legality of "dumpster diving" in your State. Also check the recycling centers at the electronic stores, they may let you take the stuff off their hands for free.

sydbat
May 11th, 2010, 01:20 AM
If you have recycle drop off in your city check there , people plunder ours all the time .Check places like Staples. They usually have a drop off for old electronics. Pretty sure they don't care if you take from their bin, as long as you ask first.

ronnielsen1
May 11th, 2010, 01:51 AM
See if freecycle is in your area. People throw away P4's because they think they're too old.

http://www.freecycle.org/

I've received quite a few computers off of it and I fix them up, linux them up and give to friends or people that need one.

mister_playboy
May 11th, 2010, 01:59 AM
Computers of this age are really only good for messing around with a geeky/hacker sort of way... installing weird OSes or something. You can't even give them to a kid to play with, since most kids these days are aware of Flash games and this sort of hardware can't run Flash.

You will also find that they are far from free in that they are wildly inefficient in performance per watt of electricity used... Pentium IVs especially.