PDA

View Full Version : Laptop runs cooler with 64-bit 10.04

WaveMyBlackFlag
May 10th, 2010, 11:42 PM
I could very well be mistaken in my perception here, but it seems my laptop runs noticeably cooler with 64-bit Lucid over the 32-bit. I base this only on my sophisticated "on-lap/time" test and the fact that I have only heard the cooling fan kick into high a few times since upgrading. Does this sound possible?
In any case the system is seamless, fast and customizable. After reading a buffet of bad reviews, I say good work, love it.

szymon_g
May 10th, 2010, 11:44 PM
no, it does not sounds possible.
as long as both architectures uses the same programs for controling fans, cpu speed etc there is no difference.

jbrown96
May 10th, 2010, 11:55 PM
I use powertop to measure my battery life and to make it more efficient. In Kubuntu, 9.10 used ~16W at idle and 10.04 is ~13.7W. I doubt your temp decrease has much to do with the architecture change, but more to do with better power management.

On 64-bit, some tasks are faster, so your processor may be able to drop into a lower power mode quicker, but I doubt this makes much of a difference since it's probably in C3 the whole time anyway.

98cwitr
May 11th, 2010, 12:54 AM
maybe you fixed an error that was using too much processor (nb, sb, cpu, gpu, etc) and freed up some resources :)