PDA

View Full Version : Mandriva for sale

Perfect Storm
May 10th, 2010, 09:23 PM
(translated) http://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&sl=fr&tl=en&u=http://www.mandrivalinux-online.org/news/news-0-87%2Bmandriva-est-a-vendre.php&rurl=translate.google.com&twu=1&usg=ALkJrhiLVRIGh8fjsU16YqI7rQCAn0PbYQ

Seems they never recovered from their first finacial crises and Mandriva as we know it will end this month.

KiwiNZ
May 10th, 2010, 09:34 PM
Does not surprise me.The model is flawed.

beetleman64
May 10th, 2010, 09:37 PM
It's a shame, I've always had a soft spot for Mandriva, but at the same time it is inevitable. In the face of competition from Ubuntu et al they were always in a precarious position.

Perfect Storm
May 10th, 2010, 09:40 PM
They was already in crises before Ubuntu showed up. Their first crisis which they went through due to heavy donation by the (at the time) big community.

Seems to be incompetent management.

KiwiNZ
May 10th, 2010, 09:44 PM
Good Distro, bad management, flawed business model.

dalee
May 10th, 2010, 09:52 PM
Hi,

Sad news. Mandrake was my first distro way back in the day. But they've been on life support for a long time. So this isn't unexpected.

Hopefully, Texstar will be able to keep his PCLinuxOS afloat for those who want the Mandriva experience.

dalee

cariboo
May 10th, 2010, 09:58 PM
Does this mean that my Mandrake v 6,7 and 8 CD's and manuals will have some value one of these days? :). I bought all three version from Staples, it's to bad that type of thing doesn't work any more, I wouldn't mind paying for a distribution with a manual again. If I remember correctly they sold for around $60.00 CDN.

Phrea
May 10th, 2010, 10:01 PM
Sad indeed -'99 it was- for me Mandrake was the first distro that I could actually use fairly well. I tried Red Hat and Slackware before it, but I found them too hard to use on a daily basis.
Didn't know they were in such a pickle. :\

m4tic
May 11th, 2010, 05:24 PM
Sad news indeed. And it came when i just realised Mandriva 2010 is the best distro i've used. Kubuntu should start forking out some(maybe most) of its features

themarker0
May 11th, 2010, 05:54 PM
Great. Just as i was about to migrate to it, it changes. Just my luck.

Seal Daemon
May 11th, 2010, 06:34 PM
Better than shutting everything down ..

** Anyone knows for how much it's being sold ?

kio_http
May 11th, 2010, 07:33 PM
Good Distro, bad management, flawed business model.

In my opinion its no big donations due to lack of users and no more huge backing.

dca
May 11th, 2010, 08:00 PM
It got a lot worse after kicking out Gael Duval...

...then buying Connectiva, then renaming from Mandrake (lawsuit) to Mandriva? Name didn't help much, not saying Ubuntu doesn't resonate when spoken outside of Africa....

KiwiNZ
May 11th, 2010, 08:12 PM
In my opinion its no big donations due to lack of users and no more huge backing.

Mandriva is a Commercial venture . would you donate to Oracle , BP or Ford ?

themarker0
May 11th, 2010, 10:22 PM

BP? (What is it?)

Method X
May 11th, 2010, 11:02 PM
IMHO but Mandriva was always for sale.
I was at their conference 2 years ago. Poor show.
"Buy, buy, buy. Here the box, here is kde. Buy buy buy-blah-blah"

jrusso2
May 11th, 2010, 11:32 PM
I used to buy the boxed then the powerpack mandriva. But now they don't add any value to the powerpack I no longer buy it.

If you want to sell something you have to add value to it.

Lack of communication with its user base has been the downfall of many distros.

kio_http
May 12th, 2010, 12:40 PM

So was SuSe years back now its OpenSuse.

Mandriva made the transition to 50/50.

There are two free versions (Quite good actually), and one payed (Just with added proprietary software.

So yes I would donate, given that the money would be invested in the free branch.

gnomeuser
May 12th, 2010, 01:17 PM
I think that Mandriva is a great product. Their distro is very well assembled and of high quality. My first proper distro that I installed on my own was Mandrake 7.0.

I am sad to see it go but they have already been kinda bi-polar when it comes to focusing their development. Poor management, poor cooperation skills and a poor financial climate killed their hope.

Mandrake also lost some highly important people such as Adam Williams, who made a big difference in terms of quality for the distro and the communication with the community.

I doubt they will find a buyer, but I doubt that is a bad thing for Linux as a whole. Distros should not be kept alive for the sake of being alive, they have to serve a purpose and selling what is basically your packaging services isn't really viable today.