PDA

View Full Version : Who thinks this is a good idea?

McMichael96
May 10th, 2010, 07:22 PM
I remember back when I first installed Ubuntu (9.04) And I didn't know how to use it. I came from Windows Vista and XP so Ubuntu was like a different world to me.

I am going to make a Linux Distro based on Ubuntu 10.04 and I am going to have to different kinds, one that works like Windows and one that works like MacOSx.

Me myself love the look a feel of Ubuntu over Windows/OSx, but people that don't know anything about Linux will probably won't give it the time-of-day =(.

I think if I do this, it will be easier for Linux noobs to come over to Linux (And Ubuntu).

What do you thank about this idea?:confused:
I would love to hear your thoughts! :biggrin:

RiceMonster
May 10th, 2010, 07:24 PM
It's been done.

doas777
May 10th, 2010, 07:24 PM
thats a pretty Herculean task. many have tried

McMichael96
May 10th, 2010, 07:25 PM
It's been done.

It has? Oh...

wojox
May 10th, 2010, 07:28 PM
It has? Oh...

Yes it's called Ubuntu.

McMichael96
May 10th, 2010, 07:29 PM
Well I want to make a Ubuntu based distro anyway. It's not to hard. I'll probably make one to share with my friends. Oh what the heck, I'll upload as a torrent and share with everyone.

-------------------------

Open Source rocks!

McMichael96
May 10th, 2010, 07:30 PM
Yes it's called Ubuntu.

-_- Not what I meant.

TheNessus
May 10th, 2010, 07:32 PM
there's some chinese-made linux distro that looks exactly like winxp.

Dayofswords
May 10th, 2010, 07:34 PM
and there is reactOS which was meant to act like windows

chinese-made windows look alike
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ylmf_OS

reactOS
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ReactOS

one that works like Windows and one that works like MacOSx.
while i see it could be done to hid the linux-ness, like wine by defualt and themes and junk
its a huge undertaking

McMichael96
May 10th, 2010, 07:35 PM
there's some chinese-made linux distro that looks exactly like winxp.

Yeah, I know. I don't what it to look just like XP. Who want's another cheap XP clone....

NOTE: Thats not what I had in-mind of making.

themarker0
May 10th, 2010, 07:36 PM
Linux is linux. Windows is windows. Crossing the too doesn't work well.

aysiu
May 10th, 2010, 07:37 PM
I am going to make a Linux Distro based on Ubuntu 10.04 and I am going to have to different kinds, one that works like Windows and one that works like MacOSx. What do you mean by "works like"?

If you really mean "looks like," then I am not in favor of this idea at all. Making Ubuntu appear like Windows or Mac in an attempt to trick new users into thinking it's the same environment they're used to using will backfire, as those users will not be able to double-click-install .exe or .dmg files and will find other inconsistencies in the interface that will confuse them and not help them adjust to a new environment.

You don't help someone adjust to life in a new country by disguising that country as the old country.

McMichael96
May 10th, 2010, 07:38 PM
and there is reactOS which was meant to act like windows

chinese-made windows look alike
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ylmf_OS

reactOS
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ReactOS

while i see it could be done to hid the linux-ness, like wine by defualt and themes and junk
its a huge undertaking

Look's like 2000. I didn't want it to look like XP at all (The theme, I want the layout to look like XP)

Kinda like Linux Mint

McMichael96
May 10th, 2010, 07:40 PM
What do you mean by "works like"?

If you really mean "looks like," then I am not in favor of this idea at all. Making Ubuntu appear like Windows or Mac in an attempt to trick new users into thinking it's the same environment they're used to using will backfire, as those users will not be able to double-click-install .exe or .dmg files and will find other inconsistencies in the interface that will confuse them and not help them adjust to a new environment.

You don't help someone adjust to life in a new country by disguising that country as the old country.

No, I meant work's like. I don't want to make another cheap Windows look-alike.

Merk42
May 10th, 2010, 07:40 PM
Look's like 2000. I didn't want it to look like XP at all (The theme, I want the layout to look like XP)

Kinda like Linux Mint

You don't want it to look like XP at all, but you want the layout to look like XP :confused:

aysiu
May 10th, 2010, 07:45 PM
No, I meant work's like. I don't want to make another cheap Windows look-alike. That's going to be quite a lot of work.

So no binary-compatibility (or at least just what's limited by what Wine can do), but the interface will operate in exactly the same way?

What year do you plan to release this?

Philip Gray
May 10th, 2010, 07:48 PM
Yr idea has some merit. For example I do not like having two task bars on the Gnome desktop. I prefer only having pne task bar at the bottom of the screen. It makes more sense. The top one always gets in the way when you have progs like openoffice open. I created another user account and played around with. I got it to work eventually. Moving the some of the top bar's items to the bottom bar was not so easy. It would be nice if at installation Ubuntu asked if you wanted one bar or two.

RiceMonster
May 10th, 2010, 07:50 PM
Yr idea has some merit. For example I do not like having two task bars on the Gnome desktop. I prefer only having pne task bar at the bottom of the screen. It makes more sense. The top one always gets in the way when you have progs like openoffice open. I created another user account and played around with. I got it to work eventually. Moving the some of the top bar's items to the bottom bar was not so easy. It would be nice if at installation Ubuntu asked if you wanted one bar or two.

Check out Linux Mint.

TheNessus
May 10th, 2010, 07:52 PM

What? moving apps from top panel to bottom panel was so difficult you needed another user account? I don't get it.

Frogs Hair
May 10th, 2010, 07:52 PM
If Ubuntu looked like windows or Mac, I wouldn't have tried it . It's far better demonstrate Ubuntu's many appearance options, in my humble opinion.

jetsam
May 10th, 2010, 08:13 PM
Virtualization by default? Run Windows in virtualbox or some other virtualization platform. You could even make some cash reselling the required Windows licenses. As long as Linux was the host, it'd be the one embracing and extending ;)

I think... :confused:

:popcorn::popcorn:

Linux_junkie
May 10th, 2010, 08:18 PM
If Lindows is still available then there is already a Linux distro that looks like XP.

Check out http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/7027

itreius
May 10th, 2010, 08:18 PM
No, I meant work's like.

I'm really interested in what you mean with "works like".

McMichael96
May 10th, 2010, 09:20 PM
That's going to be quite a lot of work.

So no binary-compatibility (or at least just what's limited by what Wine can do), but the interface will operate in exactly the same way?

What year do you plan to release this?

I hope to have it done by 2011/12, but as soon as I get done with beta (Version 0.1), I will release for beta testing.

As for the interface, let's just say if you are a Windows/Linux/MacOsx user you will know how to use it.

Of course it will not be able to run MacOSx apps but their are many alts.

It will probably be using Gnome.

One big problem is artwork (Logos) and a name. (I am not good at that kinda stuff)

McMichael96
May 10th, 2010, 09:24 PM
I got this idea when I installed Ubuntu on my mom's computer and she didn't like it because of Ubuntu's layout. She was used to Windows XP layout. She did however loved the speed of it on her old PC.

McMichael96
May 10th, 2010, 09:27 PM
My mom loved Ubuntu but it just wasn't what she was used to like I said. Even though I could have installed a Windows XP transformation pack, It would defeat the purpose of putting Ubuntu on their in the first place.

Rasa1111
May 10th, 2010, 09:28 PM
nah.

if people arent willing to give Ubuntu the 'time of day'..
because it doesnt look like windows..
they should probably just stick with windows.
(usually they are the people not willing to learn or accept/want change)
windows users for life. lol

RiceMonster
May 10th, 2010, 09:28 PM
My mom loved Ubuntu but it just wasn't what she was used to like I said. Even though I could have installed a Windows XP transformation pack, It would defeat the purpose of putting Ubuntu on their in the first place.

See that edit button at the bottom right hand corner of your posts? You might want to take advantage of it.

Merk42
May 10th, 2010, 09:31 PM
I got this idea when I installed Ubuntu on my mom's computer and she didn't like it because of Ubuntu's layout. She was used to Windows XP layout. She did however loved the speed of it on her old PC.

So you just want in to be XP in layout but not completely look like XP? Why not just use Linux Mint or Kubuntu and call it a day?

Rasa1111
May 10th, 2010, 09:35 PM

my mother used XP also,
then i installed Ubuntu for her..
and guess what?
she got used to it, and now loves it!

Phrea
May 10th, 2010, 09:41 PM
Voted 'I guess it wouldn't hurt to try...'.
If anything, it'll be another learning experience for you, so I say go for it !

Brandel Valico
May 10th, 2010, 09:45 PM
In answer to the original question. I have to vote no, they have all ready made an OS that works like Windows. It's called Windows. If you made Linux "Work Like" windows and thats what I wanted or thought was good. I for one would just use Windows. I switched to Linux because I didn't like how Windows "Worked".

As for making it look like Windows. I can see the logic of doing so to help people switching over be more comfortable with the "Feel" of the Desktop. Beyond that though they should be made very aware that it is Windows like in look and feel only not in how it works.

Mark Phelps
May 10th, 2010, 10:17 PM
Most definitely NOT a good idea. Why?

Because if you make it look and feel a lot like MS Windows, folks will think it IS MS Windows -- and then get really frustrated when some minor MS Windows-related thing isn't there.

Examples ... Open Office is a lot like MS Office, but it's not MS Office. Folks accustomed to the ribbon menus and the details of doing work in MS Office get frustrated really fast trying to do the same things in Open Office.

Same is true of Evolution -- it's not Outlook.

Same is true of Basket Notes -- not OneNote.

If you make the interface look different, folks will get accustomed to the idea that it IS different -- and will more readily learn new ways of doing things.

McMichael96
May 13th, 2010, 11:32 PM
I am not going start this project because to many voted no.

Oh well......

McMichael96
May 13th, 2010, 11:38 PM
Most definitely NOT a good idea. Why?

Because if you make it look and feel a lot like MS Windows, folks will think it IS MS Windows -- and then get really frustrated when some minor MS Windows-related thing isn't there.

Examples ... Open Office is a lot like MS Office, but it's not MS Office. Folks accustomed to the ribbon menus and the details of doing work in MS Office get frustrated really fast trying to do the same things in Open Office.

Same is true of Evolution -- it's not Outlook.

Same is true of Basket Notes -- not OneNote.

If you make the interface look different, folks will get accustomed to the idea that it IS different -- and will more readily learn new ways of doing things.

I don't know anyone that uses Outlook. lol. Normally when I am asked to wipe down a PC with Windows on it, they ask me to remove outlook and IE to save space.

Most people I know use Thunder Bird which is open source and available for Linux/GNU

RiceMonster
May 13th, 2010, 11:44 PM
I don't know anyone that uses Outlook. lol. Normally when I am asked to wipe down a PC with Windows on it, they ask me to remove outlook and IE to save space.

Most people I know use Thunder Bird which is open source and available for Linux/GNU

I use it every day at work. In fact, the majority of businesses use it as well.

Phrea
May 13th, 2010, 11:56 PM

Oh well......

Don't mind the votes dude.
Like I said before, if anything, it IS a learning experience, that's why I voted that it couldn't hurt to try.

fatality_uk
May 14th, 2010, 08:03 AM

Oh well......

If you want to do it, do it. Don't let votes put you off. Phrea is right, it will teach you a lot about Linux.

However, small caveat, it's very unlikely that your distro would gain any traction or many contributors. It has been done, over and over and over again. There a lot of clone choices out there.

formaldehyde_spoon
May 14th, 2010, 09:04 AM

Sounds like you you just need to change the panels to make your Mum comfortable.

When I install Ubuntu for a Windows user I copy Window's layout too:
-a single panel at the bottom of the screen, Main Menu (not menu bar) in the left corner,
-then maybe a shortcut or two to Firefox/etc,
-Window List (or preferably DockBarX (http://gnome-look.org/content/show.php/DockbarX?content=101604) ),
-then Notification Area (plus maybe Indicator Applet) and clock in the right corner.

http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/2319/screenshotppm.th.png (http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/2319/screenshotppm.png) Just like Windows ;)
It's not how I like my desktop, but the smaller the change is the easier it is for them to get used to it.

I'd probably also resize and change the icons to ClearlooksOSX3.7 (http://gnome-look.org/content/show.php/ClearlooksOSX?content=69487) (because I personally hate the default Ubuntu icons, and this single change gets rid of most of the ''ugly'' complaints.)

If you have someone who's fussy you might also want to change the window title bars to ClearLooks or similar. (light blue, buttons on the right)

Finally, to top it all off I put a folder on the desktop called My Computer and inside put links (drag with your middle button to make links) to Home, Desktop (yes, really), Documents and any data storage partitions/disks (preferably renamed ''D:'' ''E:'' etc) on the machine.
When in the MyComputer folder go Bookmarks->AddBookmark so that My Computer shows up in all file selection boxes.
Then change the folder and link icons to disks/houses/screens to be reasonably similar in appearance to Windows.
There seems to be nothing more confusing about an OS to computer illiterate people than navigating partitions/filesystems they're not familiar with.

End result is them happily using Ubuntu, and your ears staying pleasantly free of ''It's too different...''

(http://gnome-look.org/content/show.php/ClearlooksOSX?content=69487)

chessnerd
May 14th, 2010, 09:47 AM
It wouldn't hurt to try.

There are already some projects similar to this, but I don't think any of them have made a strong impact.

KDE has a Windows-like interface, and 4.4 even has the Aero snap features, but the single-click thing can easily confound new users.

For Gnome, Linux Mint is the only popular one I know of that has a Windows-like interface (including a search-able "Start" menu).

Then, you have things like Gnome System Monitor, which is only somewhat similar to the Task Manager. The lack of the "Applications" tab is a problem when migrating Windows users over because that is the tab they always use to stop non-responsive programs. Also, it isn't brought up by Ctrl-Alt-Del, which does nothing in Linux. Adding a Ctrl-Alt-Del shortcut to a more Task Manager-like System Monitor would be beneficial in this regard.

Honestly, though, it's not the big, obvious GUI things that are hard to add to Ubuntu. It's the little nuances that are hard to get right.
Things that are barely noticeable, but that a Windows user might fail at doing because Gnome/KDE are different. These little things, coming up over and over again, could cause problems. If you make something that gets all of those little things right you'd really have something there.

To do that, you'd need to encourage your users to point out every little thing that bugs them, no matter how ridiculous it sounds. Then, you'd have to not be like most developers and actually correct the issue.

For example:
User: When I double-click the network icon it doesn't do anything.
Developer: Yeah, so?
User: I thought it would bring up the network manager like in Windows.
Developer: Well, Linux is different. You single click and use that menu to manage your networks. Deal with it.

You need to be like this:
User: When I double-click the network icon it doesn't do anything.
You: What were you expecting?
User: I thought it would bring up the network manager like in Windows.
You: Okay. [Messes with code, releases an update]

smellyman
May 14th, 2010, 10:03 AM
Works like?

http://www.pcstats.com/articleimages/200409/BSOD_2.gif

Merk42
May 14th, 2010, 03:56 PM
Works like?

http://www.pcstats.com/articleimages/200409/BSOD_2.gif

http://orionida.files.wordpress.com/2008/02/kernel-panic.jpg

formaldehyde_spoon
May 14th, 2010, 04:24 PM