PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Migrating programs from Ubuntu 9.04 to Ubuntu 10.04

Philip Gray
May 10th, 2010, 07:18 PM
Hi
I am considering moving to Ubuntu 10.04. Is there any way of migrating the programs and games that I have downloaded in Ubuntu 9.04 to Ubuntu 10.04? I have also downloaded the Kubuntu KDE desktop.

Regards
Philip

darkod
May 10th, 2010, 07:39 PM
This seems to be one way although I have never used it myself:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=7157175&postcount=5

Also there is Firefox add-on called Umarks which makes a package list and the 10.04 can install the same packages. Google will give you more info on it.

Philip Gray
May 10th, 2010, 08:06 PM
Hi Darkod
Tks for yr prompt reply. I did a search in google but I did not find anything helpful.

Regards
Philip

darkod
May 10th, 2010, 08:15 PM
Search for Umarks exactly.

gadolinio
May 10th, 2010, 08:16 PM
One method I know is opening system--> administration--> synaptic package manager, then "file" menu, then "save selections as...". In the appearing dialog, choose location and name of the file you're going to create (which contains the list of programs you have currently installed). MAKE SURE TO CHECK THE BOX "SAVE COMPLETE STATE, NOT ONLY CHANGES". Then save it. Back up that file you've just created, and paste it into the new system. Then open synaptic there, then "file" --> "read selections...", and select the copied file. That way, synaptic will download and then install every program you had in your previous system.
Good luck!