PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] My Window Captions Are Gone

margni
May 10th, 2010, 06:46 PM
I just upgraded -through the update manager- from Jaunty(total love) to Lucid(WTF)...

Now when I open any window i.e. OpenOffice Word Processor, Nautilus, K3B, ANYTHING - I have a window with a main menu - file, edit, view, etc. But NO CAPTION BAR ABOVE IT for closing, maximize button/minimize button, etc.

Anyone have this issue?

Better, anyone have an idea of how to fix this by say doing a repair, or ???

Many thanks in advance.

wojox
May 10th, 2010, 06:49 PM
Did you check ccsm and make sure Window Decorations is checked?

margni
May 10th, 2010, 07:05 PM
Did you check ccsm and make sure Window Decorations is checked?

I'll go look, BRB... So will this fix not having captions? Thanks

wojox
May 10th, 2010, 07:09 PM
It should. I remember having the same problem before in 9.04

margni
May 10th, 2010, 07:15 PM
It should. I remember having the same problem before in 9.04

Checked CCSM, and Window Decorations IS checked.
I'm not really running Compiz so is this something corrupted or not installed with gnome?

Thanks

guyholland
May 10th, 2010, 07:26 PM
I have this issue occasionally. Install Compiz Fusion Icon and select 'Reload Window Manager' from its icon in your taskbar. That should do it.

margni
May 10th, 2010, 07:35 PM
I have this issue occasionally. Install Compiz Fusion Icon and select 'Reload Window Manager' from its icon in your taskbar. That should do it.

That Worked Like A Champ!!!
Thanks!

What was worrying me was how do I repair an installation of Ubuntu - in the same way you would Windows - because that's what I figured I have to do next if I couldn't fix this!

Again Thanks!

Second, how come adding the compiz-fusion icon (from synaptic) fixed this by refreshing the window manager, Wojox was on the trail there as well...

Thanks to Both of you for the help!

margni
May 11th, 2010, 05:37 PM
GuyHolland, if you're out there...

Your fix works great. How do I make this persistent? Everytime I fire the computer up, I have to restart the window manager - then the windows are fixed.

How do I get this fix to be persistent with startup/logon?

Any Ideas?

Thanks for your help!