PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] does my disk keep moving?

davidmaxwaterman
May 10th, 2010, 06:27 PM
Hi,

I have a 1TB disk with a single partition that I mount via an entry in fstab.

Since upgrading to lucid, it usually fails to mount at boot time and I have to edit fstab to change the device.

Am I going crazy or does it keep moving around from device to device?

Max.

quadproc
May 10th, 2010, 07:58 PM
Hi,

I have a 1TB disk with a single partition that I mount via an entry in fstab.

Since upgrading to lucid, it usually fails to mount at boot time and I have to edit fstab to change the device.

Am I going crazy or does it keep moving around from device to device?

Max.
The device identifiers such as /dev/sda1 are assigned by the operating system acccording to its own rules. This means that the same hardware can get different /dev identifiers at different times. For example, plugging in or unplugging a USB device may change the /dev identifier(s).

The UUID was invented to get around this problem. UUIDs are effectively unique. You can find the UUIDs of your hardware by doing
sudo blkidYou can use the UUID in fstab: here is what mine looks like

cat /etc/fstab
# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
#
# <file system> <mount point> <type> <options> <dump> <pass>
proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
# /dev/sda7
UUID=df533fe8-68c3-41f6-b030-e955feb580d9 / ext3 relatime,errors=remount-ro 0 1
# /dev/sda8
UUID=b071f4d5-5384-4267-9f78-99e163d6ea4a none swap sw 0 0
#/dev/sdc1
UUID=e61d892a-0341-4f99-a87b-c9345d9f9eb1 /home ext3 relatime,errors=remount-ro 0 2
/dev/scd0 /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660 user,noauto,exec,utf8 0 0
/dev/sdg /media/floppy0 auto rw,user,noauto,exec,utf8 0 0
Hope that this helps.

quadproc

davidmaxwaterman
May 11th, 2010, 04:36 PM
Hope that this helps.

Yes, I think it will help - time will tell though :)

One bonus question : I have an array with 10 disks. In my mdadm.conf file I have a DEVICE line specifying the devices. It seems that the DEVICE line is now pointless, and the ARRAY line can only work with a UUID. Is that correct? I suppose it might work if all the devices are used in an array, but otherwise, if they keep moving around, how can the DEVICE line be accurate?

quadproc
May 11th, 2010, 07:18 PM
Yes, I think it will help - time will tell though :)

One bonus question : I have an array with 10 disks. In my mdadm.conf file I have a DEVICE line specifying the devices. It seems that the DEVICE line is now pointless, and the ARRAY line can only work with a UUID. Is that correct? I suppose it might work if all the devices are used in an array, but otherwise, if they keep moving around, how can the DEVICE line be accurate?
I am not using mdadm so I can't say from firsthand experience but, according to the way I read the documentation, you would need to specify the drives in the ARRAY declarations. But the documentation is a bit vague so it just might be possible to use a UUID in a DEVICE declaration; perhaps an experiment is in order?

quadproc