PDA

View Full Version : Need help and opinions on my new business website!

williamdabastrd
May 10th, 2010, 04:36 PM
Here is my website: http://www.openbytecomputers.webs.com/

I would like critique, help, and any support possible to make my website awesome :D lol

Thank you in advanced!

Bachstelze
May 10th, 2010, 05:03 PM
I'm not a web designer by any means, but I see one big issue: the banner picture with text over it.

http://img194.imageshack.us/img194/3121/foob.jpg

See the text circled in red? It's unreadable. Never put text onto a picture, all text must be on solid background.

thegreenblob
May 10th, 2010, 05:11 PM
You don't list a graphics card in the specs of any of the computers you're selling. Also it would be more professional if you had your own domain name instead of a .webs.com address.

northwestuntu
May 10th, 2010, 05:15 PM
if you had your own domain name instead of a .webs.com address.

that's a really good point.

Excedio
May 10th, 2010, 05:18 PM
Not sure how much you care about IE user experience (unless you're targeting Windows users), but the subscription area is not rendering correctly on any page.

Also, the "Create your own Site" at the bottom left...not to sure about that.

Frogs Hair
May 10th, 2010, 05:21 PM
You don't need to say the welcome twice . Clean up the the wording in the introduction / mission statement.

Paqman
May 10th, 2010, 06:39 PM
You don't need to say the welcome twice . Clean up the the wording in the introduction / mission statement.

+1

Also, make it shorter, or use bullet points to lay it out. People don't read fat blocks of text. Generally speaking, people don't read the front pages of sites, they scan them. Think of your page as an ad, not a book.

williamdabastrd
May 10th, 2010, 07:45 PM
Ok what I'm pulling from this:

- Pay for the .com (I'm actually broke right now, this is a rough sketch)
- Clean up wording - short and simple, to the point.
- Clean up the title (I am currently designing a new graphic)

Thank you all very much, you are extremely helpful! Being 16 and trying your hand at a business webpage isn't exactly the easiest, but it is easier than I thought.

As for the incorrectly rendered page in IE, I don't have that issue testing on IE6, 7, 8, or 9. I have used my 2 spare PCs, my shcool computers, and my grandma's PC testing and have had no problems. I've also tested Chrome, Opera, and Firefox.

EDIT: That isn't rendering incorrectly - that's a fault of the 'webs' template I'm using. Happens no matter what, you can't change the formatting of the subscribe box.