PDA

View Full Version : whats the point of nvidia ion?

sandyd
May 10th, 2010, 03:11 PM
why would you use nvidia ion on a netbook. really. I dont think users will notice the difference between playing 720p and 1080p videos on a netbook unless its connected to a monitor...

thegreenblob
May 10th, 2010, 03:18 PM
A lot of netbooks have HDMI out now, makes it easy to connect them to an HD TV. Also would be great for a casual gamer wanting more power than the older netbooks but not needing as much power as a desktop.

CharlesA
May 10th, 2010, 03:19 PM
More graphical horsepower. I'd use it if I could get one that was the same price as the one I currently have.

Intel integrated cards blow for anything other then youtube. I tried to get D2 running on my netbook, and it ran at an epic 5 FPS. For a 10 year old game, that's pretty sad.

1080p is pointless to play on a netbook unless it's hooked up to a larger screen. There would be no difference between it and 720p on a 10 - 12" screen.

VeeDubb
May 14th, 2010, 02:23 AM
A lot of netbooks have HDMI out now, makes it easy to connect them to an HD TV. Also would be great for a casual gamer wanting more power than the older netbooks but not needing as much power as a desktop.

What he said.

Very few netbooks come with an ION, and that's probably as it should be. Most people don't want or need one. But, if you want something that is more portable that 'small' laptop, yet more powerful than most netbooks, it's a good compromise.

ubunterooster
May 14th, 2010, 02:42 AM
sub>sub>sub>subcategories! LOL :lol: A category for every pc

Paqman
May 14th, 2010, 02:49 AM
A lot of nettops use Ion. Nettops make fantastic media centres, a lot of them come with the mounts to stick them on the back of a monitor or TV.

madjr
May 14th, 2010, 02:50 AM
More graphical horsepower. I'd use it if I could get one that was the same price as the one I currently have.

Intel integrated cards blow for anything other then youtube. I tried to get D2 running on my netbook, and it ran at an epic 5 FPS. For a 10 year old game, that's pretty sad.

1080p is pointless to play on a netbook unless it's hooked up to a larger screen. There would be no difference between it and 720p on a 10 - 12" screen.

actually i dont even see much difference on a laptop 14 inch screen between 720p and 1080p

the only difference i see is the way larger download...

on youtube i've even seen 380p vids look almost the same as 720p whih is weird...

fatality_uk
May 14th, 2010, 07:50 AM
I have had PC's in my lounge for years. I had mostly used them for media centre's, browsers and in the last decade, DVR. The adevnt of netbooks and very small for mactor PC's mean that a small, fast, cheap media centre/dvr is a real treat to behold.The ion gives it that extra bump :)

GarmaZed
May 14th, 2010, 08:13 AM
actually i dont even see much difference on a laptop 14 inch screen between 720p and 1080p

the only difference i see is the way larger download...

on youtube i've even seen 380p vids look almost the same as 720p whih is weird...

Believe me, it's all relative to things like distance.
And in your case of the 14 inch screen playing 720p and 1080p... can that screen even display 1080p content, natively? For that screen it's probably best to just use 720p. Enjoy the extra HDD space.

madjr
May 14th, 2010, 04:58 PM
Believe me, it's all relative to things like distance.
And in your case of the 14 inch screen playing 720p and 1080p... can that screen even display 1080p content, natively? For that screen it's probably best to just use 720p. Enjoy the extra HDD space.

am confused now. a normal laptop screen cant play 1080p?

i mean it looks incredibly crisp, inst that the goal?

if 720p looks super crisp to the eye in a 14" do we need to look further?

i know that 19" or above , you begin to see a bigger difference with 1080p

same with frames per second, i do laugh a bit when i hear people wanting to squeeze more and more fps (hundreds) when the human eye can't see past 30 fps.

aaaantoine
May 14th, 2010, 05:37 PM
same with frames per second, i do laugh a bit when i hear people wanting to squeeze more and more fps (hundreds) when the human eye can't see past 30 fps.

You can perhaps only see 30 frames per second at a time, but your eyes process motion blur so that you can see stuff going on between each frame. In movies, 30 fps is fine, but unless your game is doing its own artificial motion blur, a 30 fps game will look relatively choppy compared to a movie filmed at 30 fps or the same game at 60 fps.

A similar argument can be made for DPI as it relates to games that are rendered without anti-aliasing.

snowpine
May 14th, 2010, 06:46 PM
Nobody has mentioned yet, the Ion chipset has significant power savings compared with older chipsets like Intel 945G (which actually uses more power than the Atom processor itself). For netbook use, this translates to less heat and longer battery life.

VeeDubb
May 14th, 2010, 08:38 PM
am confused now. a normal laptop screen cant play 1080p?

1080p resolution is 1920x1080, which is significantly larger than 'most' laptops. It's not that the screens/GPUs can't 'handle' 1080p, it's that they don't physically have 1920x1080 pixels. You see non-widescreen laptops with 1280x1024 and widescreen with 1440x900. In both cases, even if you're playing 1080p video, it's getting down sized to fit the screen.

1080p laptops are becoming more common, as are 720p screens like on my Asus, but just a couple years ago there was no such thing as a widescreen laptop.

doas777
May 14th, 2010, 08:46 PM
I got an ION on mine, because i don't like intel gma/gpus. they barely function on windows, and have had a long run of issues with ubuntu going back to hardy.

my netbook was for portability (needed good battery life, but i don't need 14 hours either), so I was looking at purchasing a device that operated at 1/3 the performance i expect with excelent bat life (11-14 hours) versus a device that operates at 2/3 my expectations, but with only 5-7 hours life. I opted for the later, and got one with an ion. it is the king of the netbooks however. I could have gotten 2 of the ultracheap ones for the price i paid for my hp mini 311 custom.