PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] future of ubuntu

paulhoareau
May 10th, 2010, 11:00 AM
Hi all,

i just want to say that i am a very big fan of Ubuntu since their first release. i love it, its a perfect replacement OS for windows users. i am very happy to see that with every new release they have improved dramatically from their previous versions. but i see a problem, the default Gnome desktop manager stays the same. not much big change has happened or put into it. we still have the same two task bars. i think it would be better and a positive step into the future release of Ubuntu, if the Gnome desktop manager gets a face lift. not just a theme and icons. but a rework on the task bars. for instance, there should be an alternative Gnome desktop manager with just one task bar. and of course the original one with two task bars for people who likes it that way. Gnome desktop manager needs something new. well anyways, that's just my opinion. :KS:popcorn::)

John Bean
May 10th, 2010, 11:10 AM
You can have as many (or few) GNOME panels as you want, it doesn't require code changes. Perhaps I missed something...

OT: "Dapper Drake Testing" ?

Am I in a time warp? :-)

paulhoareau
May 10th, 2010, 11:13 AM
You can have as many (or few) GNOME panels as you want, it doesn't require code changes. Perhaps I missed something...

OT: "Dapper Drake Testing" ?

Am I in a time warp? :-)

John,

i know that my friend :) i have been doing. but i was just thinking of having something like that for people that do not know to much about configs in ubuntu. :) and yup time warp it is hehe. i have to remove that, long time since i logged in here. :)

John Bean
May 10th, 2010, 11:28 AM
Heh, nice to raise a smile on a Monday morning :-)

I see your point now, and I'm inclined to agree. A few new "canned" themes/configurations with different desktop layout would indeed be useful to the user who has no wish to meddle but just wants a layout that suits his/her taste.

There's still far too much of the assumed "nerd user" mentality in all distributions of GNU/Linux although Unbuntu is making some progress; it is increasingly regarded with condescending disdain by the Linux elitists, surely a good sign ;-)

3rdalbum
May 10th, 2010, 11:39 AM
Hi all,

i just want to say that i am a very big fan of Ubuntu since their first release. i love it, its a perfect replacement OS for windows users. i am very happy to see that with every new release they have improved dramatically from their previous versions. but i see a problem, the default Gnome desktop manager stays the same. not much big change has happened or put into it. we still have the same two task bars. i think it would be better and a positive step into the future release of Ubuntu, if the Gnome desktop manager gets a face lift. not just a theme and icons. but a rework on the task bars. for instance, there should be an alternative Gnome desktop manager with just one task bar. and of course the original one with two task bars for people who likes it that way. Gnome desktop manager needs something new. well anyways, that's just my opinion. :KS:popcorn::)

Is this a joke? (http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2009/09/gnome-3-quick-visual-tour.html)

paulhoareau
May 10th, 2010, 11:41 AM
Heh, nice to raise a smile on a Monday morning :-)

I see your point now, and I'm inclined to agree. A few new "canned" themes/configurations with different desktop layout would indeed be useful to the user who has no wish to meddle but just wants a layout that suits his/her taste.

There's still far too much of the assumed "nerd user" mentality in all distributions of GNU/Linux although Unbuntu is making some progress; it is increasingly regarded with condescending disdain by the Linux elitists, surely a good sign ;-)

:) smiling in the morning is a good way to start off.

good to know you get my point now. i do believe that ubuntu with time, will be a competing in the big league next to OSX and Microsoft . it is increasingly proving some people wrong and continuing to grow and leap forward.

waynefoutz
May 10th, 2010, 11:51 AM
Hi all,

Gnome is getting a facelift. Gnome 3.0 will be out next September.

paulhoareau
May 10th, 2010, 12:03 PM
Gnome is getting a facelift. Gnome 3.0 will be out next September.

good to know. i have seen a few screen shots preview of Gnome 3.0 . hope its good.

3Miro
May 10th, 2010, 02:23 PM
good to know you get my point now. i do believe that ubuntu with time, will be a competing in the big league next to OSX and Microsoft . it is increasingly proving some people wrong and continuing to grow and leap forward.

Big league?

You mean like 90+ percent of the supercomputers and 60+ percent of the servers. Oh, you mean the home PC market, where the majority of people don't know, don't need to know and don't want to know anything about computers beyond how to check their e-mail and facebook status.

You want Gnome with one pannel, try XFCE (sudo apt-get xfce4, in the case of xubuntu-desktop it will come with two panels much like default Gnome). You can also try KDE. Gnome 3.0 is also coming soon, even thought I have some mixed feelings about it at the moment. I don't think we are suffering from any lack of options here.

zenkaon
May 10th, 2010, 04:27 PM
You can try gnome-shell,

sudo apt-get install gnome-shell
gnome-shell --replace &

It's still in development so is a bit rough around the edges but looks like the future of gnome. In my opinion it looks a lot like mac osX, let's see how it goes.

paulhoareau
May 10th, 2010, 04:50 PM
You can try gnome-shell,

sudo apt-get install gnome-shell
gnome-shell --replace &

It's still in development so is a bit rough around the edges but looks like the future of gnome. In my opinion it looks a lot like mac osX, let's see how it goes.

i have mixed feelings also about the gnome 3.0 shell. in my opinion i think it will confuse a lot of people. we should keep to simple and yet advanced tech for the future of gnome . if for one, the linux world wants to attract windows users over to their side. i do not think that the new gnome shell will do that in the future. it will cause more confusion that acceptance of an alternative OS. i would rather see more work done on the alternative panel that comes default with Open Suse or Linux Mint. i like gnome more than KDE 4.4 . but there are some features in KDE that does win me over compared to gnome. but still, gnome 3.0 is still in development. so we have a long time to see what it can evolve into. it could be something amazing or a complete failure. but time will tell. keep up the good work Ubuntu team and Gnome.:popcorn: