PDA

View Full Version : Achron

J V
May 10th, 2010, 10:27 AM
Ever heard of this game? It's like the most realistic implementation of time travel in video games/movies EVER...

And its comming to linux :D

http://achrongame.com/site/faq.php#e

EarthMind
May 10th, 2010, 10:58 AM
Yeah, I've looked it up before. It looks a bit too complex for me to be able to enjoy it.

antenna
May 10th, 2010, 11:03 AM
Yeah I saw the article (http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2010/05/achron-the-rts-where-time-keeps-on-slipping.ars) on ars technica today, and remember hearing about it a few months back.

It looks fascinating, I hope it turns out to be good, would love a decent (finished) RTS to play on Linux.

I was a little disappointed watching the video linked above and seeing that you have to wait for 'timewaves' (or whatever), instead of changes in the past instantly taking place. Maybe that was the only way it could work though, I imagine it takes some thinking to get the game to work at all.

J V
May 10th, 2010, 11:10 AM
Yes, if changes took place instantly, paradoxes would crash the system :)

What do you mean finished? BFW is pretty much done, its just adding stuff for fun :D

3rdalbum
May 10th, 2010, 11:10 AM
If you kill your childless grandfather, do you lose the game?

But I've read the article and it looks quite exciting. I'm not really into RTS so I probably won't buy it, but I'm glad it's coming to Linux.

J V
May 10th, 2010, 11:18 AM
Well the events keep getting perpetuated by the "Waves" - so the outcomes alternate...

In one outcome the time traveler goes back in time but never makes it, in the other, he goes back in time and destroys the "Grandfather"

But because of the time waves these actions repeat, and eventually when the actions fall off the edge of the timeline only one outcome remains which is how they resolve paradoxes...

If the actions fall off the edge at exactly the right time, you could end up with a clone of the timetraveler, or something like that...

4 actions

* Create the TT
* Go back in time
* Destroy the TT creator

It does the first 3, comes back, can't do the others, and loops back onto the first one again - using waves to make the difference between time...