PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] upgrading to 10.04 using a local network location

flayme
May 10th, 2010, 07:56 AM
Hi,
If I wanted to upgrade multiple computers to 10.04 using a location on my local network rather than burn my broadband download quota at 700mb per install, where would I go to get the files or archive containing the upgrade?
Thanks,
Peter

lechien73
May 10th, 2010, 09:10 AM
I've never tried it, but I presume you could use apt-mirror to create a mirror of the repository on your local network, and then just set "Software Sources" on each machine to point to the local mirror.

The information here: http://apt-mirror.sourceforge.net/ as well as a bit of digging on the Internet should yield some instructions on how to set it up.

flayme
May 10th, 2010, 02:46 PM
thanks lechien, but it is not that i just want to run a number of computers off a central server, but also may want to service computers with ubuntu on them. You know, just like the service packs in windows, you can download the file and apply it to any number of pcs. Download it once, and run it many times as needed, rather than upgrade over the internet each time and burn your broadband quota. Just stick it in a folder on the server and log on to the server from a machine on the workbench and run the upgrade as needed.

So thanks again

cam on anh nhieu