PDA

View Full Version : Another Friend Converted

1roxtar
May 10th, 2010, 05:59 AM
As of Friday (5/7/10), I installed Ubuntu 10.04 on my best friend's desktop computer. He started out with WinXP and I had "updated" it to Win7, as per his request. He later reverted back to XP and now has thrown his hands up. I go to his house almost weekly to fix one thing or another.

I have been using Ubuntu around him on my previously owned netbook and now my new laptop, for the better part of a year now. I have raved on and on about Ubuntu the entire time. He knows how much I now loathe anything that is MS Windows. He told me that he wanted to try out Ubuntu on his computer, so I took a LiveCD over to his house. I explained that the cd would run slower than if he had it installed to his hard drive.

Nevertheless, I told him to try it out simply to see if he could feel comfortable using Ubuntu. After about 30 minutes of trying it out, he slapped the arm of his chair and said, "Put this on my computer and take off this Windows %$#@!!!! It runs faster from the damn cd than Windows does on my computer". I was more than glad to press the "Install" button.

He even told me, "I'll give you the honor of tearing off that Windows sticker off", which I did with an Oh, so evilish grin!!!!

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd237/1ROXTAR/0507102254.jpg
:guitar:

v1ad
May 10th, 2010, 06:00 AM
one down many more 2 go

uRock
May 10th, 2010, 06:02 AM
Awesome!

haute34
May 10th, 2010, 06:10 AM
Thats great... I recommend all you guys to promote ubuntu to all your family and friends.

uRock
May 10th, 2010, 06:14 AM
I throw it out there from time to time, but never push the issue. The few I have converted were easily done so when they crashed with viruses.

1roxtar
May 10th, 2010, 06:15 AM
Another thing I forgot to add was that although he liked the default wallpaper, he said that it didn't say "Ubuntu" on it. I changed his wallpaper with another one that had pretty much the same theme but had the newly rebranded UBUNTU logo on it. Now after two days of using it on his own, he is a happy camper. I'm certain that it's just a matter of days before I win his laptop over too.
\\:D/

chappajar
May 10th, 2010, 02:26 PM
Another thing I forgot to add was that although he liked the default wallpaper, he said that it didn't say ''Ubuntu'' on it. I changed his wallpaper with another one that had pretty much the same theme but had the newly rebranded UBUNTU logo on it. Now after two days of using it on his own, he is a happy camper. I'm certain that it's just a matter of days before I win his laptop over too.
\\:D/

Nice!

I share a house with my brother and replaced XP with 9.10 on his laptop the other day. Yesterday he said ''This computer is so much better than it used to be'' which was good to hear ;)

Other family members I've tried to convert:
-my girlfriend went back to Windows for PPS
-my sister went back to Windows for no particular reason...?
-my Mum wouldn't leave Windows, she needs it for QuickBooks
-my Dad was really happy to use Linux instead of Windows (I live in a different city to my parents, but I haven't had to provide any assistance for his Ubuntu install yet anyway)

Phrea
May 10th, 2010, 02:48 PM
image (http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd237/1ROXTAR/0507102254.jpg)

Right finger to put that sticker on. ;)

98cwitr
May 10th, 2010, 02:51 PM
bump bump bump another bites the dust

Shakz
May 10th, 2010, 07:47 PM
I got these free stickers. Already put them on my laptop. You should get a set and when you convert someone...take that winblowz sticker off and replace it. I need to find the vista sticker I pulled off my laptop and start saving them. I gave it to my 2 year old to play with. Might still be in the playroom...anywho here is a link!

http://www.system76.com/article_info.php?articles_id=9

Took bout a week for mine to come in.

98cwitr
May 10th, 2010, 07:52 PM
freakin nice...sending mail tomorrow :)

1roxtar
May 10th, 2010, 11:52 PM
I actually bought some and will be putting one on my buddy's computer tomorrow when I stop by his house again. BTW, he is truly loving Ubuntu on his desktop.

uRock
May 11th, 2010, 12:39 AM
Awesome!

TheNerdAL
May 11th, 2010, 12:47 AM
That's awesome dude! i am trying to convert my friend to Ubuntu but the only thing that is keeping me from converting him is that support of Zune HD. D:

Dayofswords
May 11th, 2010, 12:55 AM
I got these free stickers. Already put them on my laptop. You should get a set and when you convert someone...take that winblowz sticker off and replace it. I need to find the vista sticker I pulled off my laptop and start saving them. I gave it to my 2 year old to play with. Might still be in the playroom...anywho here is a link!

http://www.system76.com/article_info.php?articles_id=9

Took bout a week for mine to come in.

call me an idoit but...

when it says"Send a self addressed stamped envelope"
does that mean send an envelope.... in an envelope...

It runs faster from the damn cd than Windows does on my computer
LOL

Scottosphere
May 11th, 2010, 01:15 AM
[QUOTE=Dayofswords;9276704]call me an idoit but...

Yep. And save paper/bulk/cents by using small envelopes for these small stickers.

Note: I'm sending off my (two) envelopes tomorrow. TY, System76.

sydbat
May 11th, 2010, 01:16 AM
call me an idoit but...

LOLYes, with a stamp and your address on it so they can fill it with the goodies and send it back to you. Keeps their cost down because you pay the postage both ways.

Sealbhach
May 11th, 2010, 01:29 AM
If you're in the UK, Linux Format magazine is giving out stickers with their latest issue.

murderslastcrow
May 11th, 2010, 01:46 AM
This is why it's a good idea to carry around a LiveUSB/CD. Especially if your friend has a computer they're considering throwing away out of age or the general concept of 'my computer's slow, so it must be broken'.

It can save a lot of money, time, and trouble if it works well enough for your friend/family member. But remember, as always, don't force it on anyone. Tell them it exists, and show them if they're curious.

Timmer1240
May 11th, 2010, 02:41 AM
I converted to Ubuntu myself about 3 months ago now Very happy with Karmic Koala cant beleive you have to pay for Windows and this is Free its amazing Linux rules!All I was doing on windows was scanning for viruses malware defragging trying to keep it running right was a full time job Ubuntu is pretty much maintanance free!

uRock
May 11th, 2010, 03:05 AM
I converted to Ubuntu myself about 3 months ago now Very happy with Karmic Koala cant beleive you have to pay for Windows and this is Free its amazing Linux rules!All I was doing on windows was scanning for viruses malware defragging trying to keep it running right was a full time job Ubuntu is pretty much maintanance free!
Welcome to the club. Karmic is the bomb-diggity. I love ubuntu, it is awesome!

WinterRain
May 11th, 2010, 03:37 AM
He even told me, "I'll give you the honor of tearing off that Windows sticker off", which I did with an Oh, so evilish grin!!!!

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd237/1ROXTAR/0507102254.jpg

Since you're going to need a new sticker, see attachments.

Kdar
May 11th, 2010, 03:43 AM
Hooray!!!!:guitar:

original_jamingrit
May 11th, 2010, 08:55 PM
I have a friend who I had gotten into Linux for a little while. He kept Windows on his desktop and Ubuntu on his laptop. Little did I know another friend was starting to use his laptop to do her schoolwork, and found that she really preferred using Ubuntu.