PDA

View Full Version : Make sure u check wires before closing up your box!

nismoskys
March 21st, 2006, 06:37 AM
Man.. i got saved yesterday.. i had opened up my bros comp cuz i was Borrowing his hdd to temporarily copy some files onto.. well i finished the job and put it back into his comp and turned it on (was reinstalling windows for him -- you know the spyware crap).. so i come back to check up on the screen and (smell something burning but excuse it as the smell of cigarrette smoke from another jacket) see a blue screen saying "system was shutdown due to hardware error" . i try restarting the comp and it just wont even turn on.. im like wtf?? .. then my mind clicks and im just like OH SH*T i think i fried the cpu! i opened up the box as fast as i could and find that the smell WAS coming from the computer.

How? Why? A careless mistake, some of the wires leading to the hdd had moved in such a way that they blocked the cpu fan from spinning.

I thought that i'd killed it for sure.. but LUCKILY the system shut itself down after i guess noticing the temperature increase.. man i got saved

so a lesson to you all: ALWAYS DOUBLE CHECK THE INSIDE FOR OBSTACLES WHEN YOUR JOB IS DONE.

yeah.. just thought id share that story. :)

dermotti
March 21st, 2006, 06:39 AM
Usually Pentiuns will do that. But Older athlons will jsut fry fry fry \\:D/

nismoskys
March 21st, 2006, 06:45 AM
lol yup.. but its not that old just low end.. amd duron

briancurtin
March 21st, 2006, 07:09 AM
but LUCKILY the system shut itself down after i guess noticing the temperature increase.. man i got saved
SuSE used to help me out with this. well i didnt need help, it just decided that my computer should shut off 3 times a day due to supposed temperature increases. it was a pain in the ***, and the bug fix was to upgrade versions. it did not fix anything.

nismoskys
March 21st, 2006, 07:18 AM
isnt it ur BIOS that auto shuts down when it gets too hot? .. but the message i got im pretty sure was from windows.. , well some BIOSes at least.. i think u can set a temperature in there (if u have the feature) to autoshutdown @ a certain temperature.

Virogenesis
March 21st, 2006, 07:27 AM
AMDs only recently been able to stop themselves frying and yes there is a setting in the bios to shut down your comp when it gets to a certain temp but I believe the linux can do this aswell using lm-sensors not sure mind.

Not as bad as me on my b-day my shipt cds came along with the dat drive I had and my zalman fan so I proceded to change my fan on my mobo and found out the guy who sold me the zalman never included the brackets so upon fitting everything back together had my new scsi card in place and everything I powered on the beast and the thing bloody blew up destroying my asus mb.

Basicaly one of the pci blanking plates was touching the mobo and it blew it.
Everything else was ok which was ace