PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Empathy fails to set Facebook status

newb85
May 10th, 2010, 03:43 AM
I just recently started using Empathy, and so far, it's great with one problem.

As long as Empathy is online, my Facebook status (as others see it) is "available", regardless of how I have my status in Empathy. Kind of puts a damper on things when people think I'm being rude and ignoring them. :(

Have others experienced this issue? Is this a user error, or something that needs to be fixed upstream?

newb85
May 11th, 2010, 10:29 AM
Yes, I realize that Facebook's status options are a limited to Offline, Online, and Idle, which don't exactly match up with Offline, Available, Busy, and Away.

However, I would think it fairly intuitive that Away in Empathy should match up with an option in Facebook that will tell others that one is not available for chat.

I also realize in retrospect that "status" is a very confusing word to describe this problem. What I'm describing is called "status" in Empathy, but has no name in Facebook, and "status" in Facebook means something else entirely. :confused:

atlanta800
May 24th, 2010, 05:02 AM
I have a very similar issue. I leave my computer running 24/7 and Empathy fails to ever set my Facebook account to idle even while it does so for AIM and (I think) Google Talk. Basically, regardless of how long I'm away from any my machine, people still think I'm fully available on Facebook. People have just given up on ever trying to contact me because they think I'm never there. Quite annoying indeed.

GilbertEvanG
May 25th, 2010, 10:48 PM
I've noticed this too. The only empathy statuses that really seems to do anything with Facebook are Available and Offline.

vanndrage
May 31st, 2010, 03:28 PM
anyone have a fix for this?

markdarb
June 15th, 2010, 07:22 AM
Has anyone filed a bug for this? That'd be the best way to draw attention to the problem in the hope that someone will fix it.

fordry
June 17th, 2010, 02:07 AM
I too have this issue and would be interested in a fix.

submitted on bugzilla https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=621843