PDA

View Full Version : Computers for Haiti schools

dalani
May 10th, 2010, 02:42 AM
Ive been away from here for a while but recently I heard about Ayiti Tech, a non-profit org, is collecting computers no older then 10 years old and repairing them to functional use in the class room for students in Haiti. All donations will be heading to grade schools, colleges, universities, and libraries all around Haiti !

Ayti Tech open to linux as long as they work plug and play with ethernet

If any would like to volunteer PC and a bit of time for a good cause let them know.

dalani
May 12th, 2010, 01:29 AM
On a related topic anyone like to help develop specs for a cybercafe setup with terminals and a good server? Loaded with ubuntu of course..

I work with a group getting funding to build web access for schools in Haiti (applicable elsewhere as well).

jetsam
May 12th, 2010, 01:59 AM
I vaguely remember a thread from one or two years ago that had a success story about an Ubuntu based internet cafe, I think in a local recreation center somewhere in the UK. They described a pretty nice set up. I think they even faked a "Windows desktop" look so as not to intimidate their users, who couldn't care less about the operating system when what they wanted was access.

Does anyone else remember that thread? I've searched for it, but I can't locate it.

I still can't find the thread I'm thinking of. Searching the forum for "cyber cafe" or for 'cybercafe' turns up a lot of results, though.

dalani
May 13th, 2010, 02:30 AM
@jetsam
Do find that thread and any info about wimax deployment. Im thinking an Ubuntu server could handle a cyber cafe with terminals, and the neighborhood telecom traffic with some hookup via satellite phones.

jetsam
May 18th, 2010, 10:03 PM
bump. I haven't forgotten about this, but I'm very busy. I still can't find that thread.

Umm... Tomato firmware on 3000 routers? What languages would you need for localization purposes? I can't give you money... I'm just suggesting a decent target for a drive of some sort, which would have to be organized by you primarily. I'm mostly an idea guy.

Tomato brings up the language issue. I only know they can do English only. I'm pretty sure French is within the realm of possibility. Hatian Patois would be awesome, but it would take an unknown period of time before delivery. Spanish is probably easier than French.

For computers, all you need is a new spin of Puppy Linux... You should probably check it out yourself. Go to the Puppy download page, and get 4.31 and also check out 5.0 Lucid puppy. Try them out and report back if you get the chance. Puppy can run a computer safely even if the computer does not have a hard drive. It is safe from most of the turmoil that causes trouble with online systems, and it will make a great kiosk system. Not only that, you can burn copies and distribute them to cafe customers, and they can start thier own cafes..

In the meantime, I shall gently scold the entire Ubuntu community for not jumping on a chance to do some good in the world.