PDA

View Full Version : Screensaver

Bölvağur
May 10th, 2010, 01:16 AM
What is your opinion about screensavers?

btw when I did the poll I mean disabled = no screensaver at all... not just go to blank screen.
You will have to config xserver to disable the screensaver fyi

Phrea
May 10th, 2010, 01:18 AM
Don't use them, at the most, I'll just let the screen go black when unused for a period.

Frogs Hair
May 10th, 2010, 01:31 AM
Not wise to use screen savers from the web , they often contain add-ware that collect data about a persons browsing habits . I've never heard of anyone having problems with or without them. My monitor shuts down after 25 minutes anyway.

Bölvağur
May 10th, 2010, 01:44 AM
I seem to have done another stupid mistake.

In the poll I wrote "Can some one help me to come on demand?" because I relied on copy and pasting and not realizing I missed something

this sould be "Can someone help me to make the screensaver come on, on demand or what ever the"

NMFTM
May 10th, 2010, 01:48 AM
I set the screensaver to the Matrix themed one. The screensaver comes on after 10 minutes which locks the screen and the screen turns off after 30 minutes.

Bachstelze
May 10th, 2010, 01:49 AM
I love pink ponies!

speedwell68
May 10th, 2010, 01:51 AM
CPU hogging junk. I just set the screen to go blank after 5 minutes and switch off after 10. Don't see the point in having all those pretty patterns.

TheNerdAL
May 10th, 2010, 02:31 AM
I love the Floating Ubuntu one in 10.04. I didn't quite like it in 9.10 with the old logo.

I also love the ElectricSheep Screensaver! It's awesome. :)

CPU hogging junk. I just set the screen to go blank after 5 minutes and switch off after 10. Don't see the point in having all those pretty patterns.

It only hogs up the computer when it's active. Why would would you be using something else while a screensaver is active?

lisati
May 10th, 2010, 02:35 AM
I seem to have done another stupid mistake.

In the poll I wrote "Can some one help me to come on demand?" because I relied on copy and pasting and not realizing I missed something

this sould be "Can someone help me to make the screensaver come on, on demand or what ever the"

Poll option edited. :)

chickengirl
May 10th, 2010, 02:38 AM
I used screensavers until one day I realized...

It only comes on when I'm not there. What's the point in doing anything except blanking the screen?

dtfinch
May 10th, 2010, 03:00 AM
I used to write and sell screensavers, about 10 years ago. I still get support emails for them. XP broke them all when it came out, and Vista's UAC broke them again. Some people would complain that it slowed down their servers, which shouldn't be running screensavers in the first place. Then when I made them run at idle priority, other people with a lot of other stuff in the background would complain that they were jerky.

I don't use screen savers on my own systems, apart from blank screen or logo. Best case, they do nothing. Average case, they compete with other background programs for resources. Worst case, some 3D screensavers would crash your system after X hours. It was so common that Intel's display drivers for Windows would disable hardware acceleration for any program with a .scr extension. http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/CS-004684.htm

User3k
May 10th, 2010, 03:10 AM
I don't use anything. When I am at the computer the monitor is on. When I am not at the computer I turn it off.

I do like screen savers, I just don't use them.

Phrea
May 10th, 2010, 03:15 AM
I don't use anything. When I am at the computer the monitor is on. When I am not at the computer I turn it off.

I do like screen savers, I just don't use them.

You and me both, exactly the same !

Sam
May 10th, 2010, 04:31 AM
It only hogs up the computer when it's active. Why would would you be using something else while a screensaver is active?

Because of power consumption for both CPU and screen, and heat that generates.