PDA

View Full Version : Anyone quitting facebook over privacy concerns?

Pages : [1] 2

arnab_das
May 9th, 2010, 11:31 PM
Hope you've heard of the recent leaks and outrageous facebook privacy settings.

If you havent here are a few articles describing it: http://www.pcworld.com/article/194866/facebooks_new_features_and_your_privacy_what_you_n eed_to_know.html

http://www.networkworld.com/news/2010/050610-facebook-privacy-complaint-a-complete.html?hpg1=bn

http://www.wired.com/epicenter/2010/05/facebook-rogue/

was wondering if anyone has already quit facebook over these issues.

CharlesA
May 9th, 2010, 11:33 PM
I don't store any personal info there, so it isn't bothering me.

djyoung4
May 9th, 2010, 11:36 PM
same with me. just use the facebook chat through my n900 so im not really bothered.

handy
May 9th, 2010, 11:37 PM
I never go near it due to privacy concerns.

arnab_das
May 9th, 2010, 11:43 PM
same with me. just use the facebook chat through my n900 so im not really bothered.

well even the facebook chat was leaked so that it could be accessed by others: http://www.zdnet.com/blog/igeneration/facebook-hijack-any-live-chat-serious-bug-forces-downtime/4926

squilookle
May 9th, 2010, 11:55 PM
I don't put any personal information on Facebook, and dolln't believe I have anything to hide on there.

Also, I'd rather stay on there and see whats being posted about me, than not. I don't think removing yourself from Facebook eradicates privacy concerns, but staying on there does allow you to keep an eye on it.

And there are some people I am in touch with again thanks to Facebook... which is good.

OrbJinzo
May 10th, 2010, 12:05 AM
heh There is no privacy anymore. Dont post personal info and youll be fine

Kdar
May 10th, 2010, 12:07 AM
I use fake identity there. So I don't care.

handy
May 10th, 2010, 12:08 AM
The attitude that says things are so bad now I'm not going to bother trying to improve the situation, runs along the same lines as evil only exists due to good men doing nothing about it.

Quitting the fight is the easy way out (in the beginning).

OrbJinzo
May 10th, 2010, 12:10 AM
The attitude that says things are so bad now I'm not going to bother trying to improve the situation, runs along the same lines as evil only exists due to good men doing nothing about it.

I am perfectly fine. *beep* *bzz*.You need some Yin to go with the Yang or the universe would go ape-crap

NovaAesa
May 10th, 2010, 12:11 AM
I quit a fair while ago now.

oldsoundguy
May 10th, 2010, 12:16 AM
It is not a secure site in any way, shape or form.

Limit your personal information to what is publicly available already, and you will be fine.

And DO NOT ALLOW CROSS LINKS to other sites .. especially those where you do not have membership and have no way to control content.

Facebook offers the hard eMail addy of it's members .. if you have SENSITIVE information to exchange .. use their REAL eMail and stay out of any Facebook channels other than maybe sending a heads up that they have mail.

Bachstelze
May 10th, 2010, 12:31 AM
I don't store any personal info there, so it isn't bothering me.

This. You could learn just as much about me by typing my name into Google or doing a whois on my domains than hacking my Facebook.

mister_playboy
May 10th, 2010, 12:42 AM
I had basically quit using the site back around the time the first of the "New Facebook" looks came out, but I didn't actually close my account until last month.

The CEO of Facebook is a conman and swindler and I don't want to have anymore to do with his site. :P

Crunchy the Headcrab
May 10th, 2010, 12:46 AM
Yeah, I am definitely considering ditching facebook. The problem is that I won't be able to convince my wife to ditch it. I guess there is always the "oops it doesn't work from our house for some reason approach", but I wouldn't want to do that to her.

Kdar
May 10th, 2010, 01:23 AM
lol, block it by /etc/hosts or something :)
Make a fake Facebook page about them stoping their service.

utnubuuser
May 10th, 2010, 01:26 AM
Like one of the commenters pointed out, for all those with the "I don't post any information there, so it doesn't bother me" syndrome....

You might want to read up on your history, in particular about "it doesn't really concern me..."

...and when they came for me...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_they_came...

"THEY CAME FIRST for the Communists,
and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Communist.

THEN THEY CAME for the Jews,
and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Jew.

THEN THEY CAME for the trade unionists,
and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a trade unionist.

THEN THEY CAME for me
and by that time no one was left to speak up."

Bachstelze
May 10th, 2010, 01:35 AM
Like one of the commenters pointed out, for all those with the "I don't post any information there, so it doesn't bother me" syndrome....

You might want to read up on your history, in particular about "it doesn't really concern me..."

THEN THEY CAME for me

One Godwin point for you. :3

mickie.kext
May 10th, 2010, 02:17 AM
Mr. Zuckerberg richly deserves bankruptcy. Let's give it to him, for free. (http://www.softwarefreedom.org/news/2010/feb/10/highlights-eben-moglens-freedom-cloud-talk/)

mister_playboy
May 10th, 2010, 02:24 AM
The issue with "I don't post any info about myself there" is that it simply doesn't work. Other people post information about you, and since Facebook has basically made all of this information public, it's not hard to connect the dots and find out quite a bit about you by what others have revealed. They have made it impossible to hide.

In order to truly have all of your info remain private, you have to have no other people who will leak it... you can manage that by not having any contacts I suppose, but in that case you've removed everything useful about Facebook, too... so why even use it?

Yes
May 10th, 2010, 02:32 AM

THEN THEY CAME for me

Really? You're comparing Facebook not respecting your privacy to the Nazis rounding up entire groups or ethnicities for death camps?

Nobody's persecuting people with personal information on Facebook. The only thing that might happen is that personal information will be leaked. If I don't put any personal information on Facebook what are they gonna do, raid my house looking for crap they can leak about me?

Bachstelze
May 10th, 2010, 02:44 AM
Mr. Zuckerberg richly deserves bankruptcy. Let's give it to him, for free. (http://www.softwarefreedom.org/news/2010/feb/10/highlights-eben-moglens-freedom-cloud-talk/)

I rarely agree with Eben, but now he's really onto something. Currently, the only thing you can tell someone who doesn't trust a third-party for his email, website, blog, etc. is "well, get your own server and host it yourself, that's what I do." Obviously, the average user can't do that. If we could say "Well, there's this thing you can buy for 30 bucks, just plug it in and it will get all your email, just like a physical mailbox, then when you come home, you turn your computer on and it will get your email from it." It would definitely work, and the same for websites, blogs, or whatever.

That's something to look into, and as Eben says, we already have the technology for it.

djyoung4
May 10th, 2010, 07:08 AM
well even the facebook chat was leaked so that it could be accessed by others: http://www.zdnet.com/blog/igeneration/facebook-hijack-any-live-chat-serious-bug-forces-downtime/4926
so what. i rarely ever go on it nor do I have any really personal information up. the only thing I had a problem with was it displays my email so I made a random gmail and forward it to my actual account. The stuff I do talk about on chat isn't very interesting anyway. who cares about the stuff I say when I catch up with old friends.

wilee-nilee
May 10th, 2010, 07:11 AM
Never was a member never will be, on any of the web social sites, other then the UF, and a few other tech forums.

v1ad
May 10th, 2010, 07:15 AM
never going to open an account. waste of time and privacy issues is just a small boost against it.

Cavsfan
May 10th, 2010, 03:41 PM
This just in a half an hour ago. Maybe some good news for FaceBook privacy.
http://www.informationweek.com/news/internet/social_network/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=224701338

The guy FaceBook hired to address privacy concerns is the former U.S. Federal Trade Commission chairman
and he is a privacy hawk!
He created the Do Not Call registry as head of the FTC. Which has really been a blessing here in the US.

I used FB to connect with people I have not seen in a long time: family, friends and former military friends.
I watch my privacy settings very closely and have not had any problems so far.
If you are aware what privacy settings are and how to change them, then you should be OK on there.
However, if you are like most people and leave everything set to "everyone" you may loose your privacy
as what you have shared under that scenario becomes public information.

aklo
May 10th, 2010, 05:27 PM
I use facebooks for playing bejeweled and the only real information is my name and pictures that my friends post of me , no address no nth. So even if it is hacked, i'm fine with it.

doas777
May 10th, 2010, 05:29 PM
no, i'm just not joining over privacy concerns.
there is just nothing appealing about FB, and all the privacy issues really exacerbate my discomfort with the entire concept.

Cavsfan
May 11th, 2010, 08:56 PM
no, i'm just not joining over privacy concerns.
there is just nothing appealing about FB, and all the privacy issues really exacerbate my discomfort with the entire concept.

I totally understand anyone who would not want to join FaceBook. But, anyone with the knowledge to use Ubuntu surely has the knowledge
of how to maintain your privacy settings and therefore your privacy on FaeBook. Most everything is set to "everyone" by default, which does leave
you very much open to privacy invasion. But, if you know this, you can fix it like I did.
It is the non-computer savvy people that do not realize that everything they put on FaceBook can be seen by the entire world because they do not know any better.
I am constantly reminding all of my friends, most of which have learned this, to continually check and update their security settings.
For example they did an update on April 23rd I believe it was and this added some new things that were naturally set to be seen by "everyone" by default.
And I presume a way for them to make money is to monitor your activity and present you with websites on the sides that accommodate your tastes.
They made that to where you were automatically opted in, of course. You had to uncheck that box and of course it asked "are you sure you want to do this?".
Why sure I want to do this! :P

It has been invaluable to me as I have family all over this country and friends all over the world. I even have my address and phone number on there and the only
ones that have ever contacted me on the phone are close friends. No one has sent me anything.

No one can even find me if I do not let them find me! I have my security so tight that only friends can send me messages and only friends of friends
can even ask to become my friend. Because if they do not know any of my friends, chances are they do not know me. I do not accept random friends.
I have known my friends most or all of my life. I recently hooked back up with a HS friend. We were friends on there and he accidentally got deleted.
He told me he could not even find me and he tried for a long time. He became friends with another person with the same name only to find out that it was not me. :P

Knowing all of this, I feel fairly secure on FaceBook. Especially since they have hired former U.S. Federal Trade Commission chairman Timothy Muris for their security guru.

It's google that I do not trust enough to allow them to put a cookie on my machine.

This is just my opinion, but I feel if you stay on top of things, you can be secure on there. I don't give anyone my SS number or my bank account number or anything stupid like that anyway.

oldsoundguy
May 11th, 2010, 09:11 PM
Web security is only as good as the contents of the head screwed on to the person in the seat in front of the computer.

Those that have the illusion that all is well and the world is Shangri-La on the web, will soon find that such is not true.
And there is no one out there watching over you.

But the same can be said of your TRASH at home.
It is amazing what can be learned about someone just by going through what they throw away.

The argument that "if you are doing nothing wrong. nothing to worry about" doesn't wash. Not in the day of identity theft that we live in now.

Another "leak" is your kids .. watch what you allow them to post on line, for instance!

Ric_NYC
May 11th, 2010, 09:30 PM
Google your name and you'll see your pic in Google Images... If you have a profile on Facebook.

"Thanks", Facebook.

Rick 1
May 11th, 2010, 10:29 PM
Assumes someone was dumb enough to join in the first place. Sorry but no lemmings in this clan.

Rick 1
May 11th, 2010, 10:34 PM
"You can't trust code that you did not totally create yourself. (Especially code from companies that employ people like me.)"
- Ken Thompson, now at Google
You're aware of the context in which he felled that statement and why he pointed that out?

K.Mandla
May 11th, 2010, 10:37 PM
I never go near it due to privacy concerns.
+1. I also use it as a test of character. If someone mentions Facebook to me, I immediately think less of them. :twisted:

Rick 1
May 11th, 2010, 10:38 PM

+1. But you're fighting the collective apathy of the feeble. Good luck!

Rick 1
May 11th, 2010, 10:40 PM
The issue with "I don't post any info about myself there" is that it simply doesn't work. Other people post information about you, and since Facebook has basically made all of this information public, it's not hard to connect the dots and find out quite a bit about you by what others have revealed. They have made it impossible to hide.
So happy someone made the effort to point this out for the blissfully complacent.

Rick 1
May 11th, 2010, 10:43 PM
Really? You're comparing Facebook not respecting your privacy to the Nazis rounding up entire groups or ethnicities for death camps?

Nobody's persecuting people with personal information on Facebook. The only thing that might happen is that personal information will be leaked. If I don't put any personal information on Facebook what are they gonna do, raid my house looking for crap they can leak about me?
Speechless. That's so dense as to be its own black hole. Really not true. It didn't happen. SMH. Over and over again. Wow what a cerebral short-circuit.

AlphaMack
May 11th, 2010, 10:43 PM

I got out as soon as the instant personalization 'feature' was announced.

Before leaving I made sure to unfriend all of my contacts, delete photo albums, change some personal info, and delete other info about myself (what little there was to begin with).

Sadly, FB has managed to reel in the unwashed masses into that walled garden; it has become everyone's one-stop e-mail, IM, multimedia sharing, event planning, "tweeting," and reunion center.

If old friends bothered to care, they would have scrubbed my contact info in the time my profile was there. Otherwise, no loss.

Rick 1
May 11th, 2010, 10:45 PM
so what. i rarely ever go on it nor do I have any really personal information up. the only thing I had a problem with was it displays my email so I made a random gmail and forward it to my actual account. The stuff I do talk about on chat isn't very interesting anyway. who cares about the stuff I say when I catch up with old friends.
Yeah so what indeed. Self-centred apathy makes the world go round. Good luck in all your future endeavours. All your friends are rooting for you.

Rick 1
May 11th, 2010, 10:47 PM
I use facebooks for playing bejeweled and the only real information is my name and pictures that my friends post of me , no address no nth. So even if it is hacked, i'm fine with it.
You really need to read back what you wrote. If only to save yourself further embarrassment. People are not supposed to be this na´ve online. No wonder they get hacked left and right. Someone got a clue bat handy?

AlphaMack
May 11th, 2010, 10:57 PM
For those who don't care what FB has on you if you still continue to play the game, chew on this one:

http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives/facebooks_new_policies_make_harrassment_easy.php

chillicampari
May 11th, 2010, 11:53 PM
I totally understand anyone who would not want to join FaceBook. But, anyone with the knowledge to use Ubuntu surely has the knowledge
of how to maintain your privacy settings and therefore your privacy on FaeBook. ...

I wouldn't be so sure about that. :P

Using myself as an example, I started using Linux back in '90's and I still can't always figure out how exactly each setting is working, and when one is updated how it affects others (cascade effect), and when something brand new is introduced which ones got set to a new value or need to be looked at. On larger changes you might get a walkthrough wizzard at the next login but smaller ones can just quietly be changed in an updated user agreement without notification. I have a pretty good idea of what's going on for the most part but I can't say my settings are exactly matched to what I *think* the behavior should be.

---------------------

As a general side note this (older) thread is pretty interesting:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1399789

On the surface it probably doesn't look related at all to the topic, but it's a good illustration of how easy it is for someone to get data when something appears to be fun, harmless or done in a "safe" place. That one thread on it's own just spills date and month from participants, but combined with a few other quizzes like "What film won Best Picture when you were born", some word scramble thing with your name, general chat threads regarding work, kids, weather, pets, etc. either a "street-team" message board marketing scout -or- someone with not the best intentions can get a good starter profile pretty darned easy. Or maybe just enough to plop into the search engine of their choice to find out more. Do I think that particular thread was data-mining? I really don't know for absolutely certain, but it looked sketchy enough to me to comment on (and probably flag to be looked at, don't remember).

Now I don't think people should be uber-paranoid (unless they want to be) 'cause the web is really boring without interaction and getting to know at least a bit about each other and creating and participating in web communities**- and while Ubuntu or other Linux users in general may have a leg up on these issues due to technical inclination- just because someone knows how to use an operating system doesn't automatically make them all knowing as far as privacy is concerned.

--------------

Edit- ** I'll add that this is where Facebook really shines as far as a false sense of security. When you are on a web community with many of the people you know in real life and possibly family, there is an extra feeling of familiarity and with that an implied safety to many, many people- that's where things can get really screwed up as far as personal data "management" (wrong word, but can't think of a better one) goes.

Cavsfan
May 12th, 2010, 01:27 AM
For those who don't care what FB has on you if you still continue to play the game, chew on this one:

http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives/facebooks_new_policies_make_harrassment_easy.php

Thanks for the article. Num num tastes good :P

This will bolster my case in getting friends to beef up their security settings.
It does, however not worry me in the slightest. As I said, my friends cannot find me if
I do not want them to! The friend I was talking about is a professor at Penn State, not
that that explicitly means he is a genius, but I know he is "fairly intelligent" and he could
not find me. Do you seriously think that anyone in the world has a better chance.

And we discuss meaningless things about like what we did last night or what we are going to do tonight.
None of what we talk about is top secret information. And no one that I know of has their bank accounts
or credit cards on there. Now, that would be dumb, but since it is all free, why should anyone have any of that on there.

The worst thing that bothers me about some people I see on there is they have their pictures set to "Everyone"
and maybe their city, state also. So, maybe a pedophile could find them. That is the main reason I try to get my friends
to beef up their security settings. We tell jokes or have pictures of jokes and laugh and make fun of stuff.
But, we try to respect each other. We ask one another to pray for someone who has cancer or something like that.

Example: my HS friend's brother wanted to be my friend about 5 months ago. This is someone I have not seen in 33 years.
I did not get around to accepting his friendship.
So, yesterday I accepted him and he seen my profile. I have not heard a word from him yet. Without divulging anymore than
I have to, let me just say that he probably saved up for a vacation to come to where I live.
So, when he became my friend I think he was surprised to find out where I live. He could not even see my profile picture until
I accepted his friendship, let alone anything else other than my name. And there are a lot and I mean a lot of people out there that have my same name.

So, I myself am perfectly confident that I am safe and absolutely nothing can or will happen to me or to my friends if they pay attention to what I am
trying to get across to them.

I am diligent in checking my security settings.

And chillicampari, I understand what you are saying, but you could put all of the stuff I have posted since I have been on FaceBook together
and you would have a bunch of meaningless junk!
My friends are the only ones that can see my address and phone number. Not even their friends can see that. No one except my friends can even see my profile picture.
If FaceBook really has some sort of breach in the future, then I might worry.
And there was a breach with people chatting on there, but I stay offline 100% of the time and do not chat so that did not bother me one iota.

I think we should just agree to disagree. I am seriously paranoid about my security and yet I am on FaceBook.
I firmly believe it can be done without all of the drama, if you know what you are doing.

And please by all means find some more articles that I can use to show my friends "what could happen".

kid1000002000
May 12th, 2010, 02:22 AM
not to mention, its not hard for somebody to spoof identity theft and pretend to be you to anyone on your friends list, gaining even more personal info through your own networking... however much control you might exercise, your friends will still be on fbook, whether you have an account or not.

chillicampari
May 12th, 2010, 02:29 AM
.. Do you seriously think that anyone in the world has a better chance.

While your professor friend may not be interested in rolling an address book app, (not for you to use since you would not use such a thing) someone else will that may appeal to someone in your network and bingo, you're found. Not that someone would go to all that trouble to find you specifically, but it's good for targeted locational advertising.

http://www.facebook.com/addressbook

And chillicampari, I understand what you are saying, but you could put all of the stuff I have posted since I have been on FaceBook together
and you would have a bunch of meaningless junk!

Both marketers and data-miners count on that perception :)

My friends are the only ones that can see my address and phone number. Not even their friends can see that. No one except my friends can even see my profile picture.

And a bunch of strangers (if you care). Recently they added an applications permissions setting, but before that it was a proactive block on each app (just filtering didn't prevent shares). If you want a fun time hang out in the applications developer sections for a bit and poke around at the API's to see what's pullable even on lock-down accounts.

If FaceBook really has some sort of breach in the future, then I might worry.
And there was a breach with people chatting on there, but I stay offline 100% of the time and do not chat so that did not bother me one iota.

I think we should just agree to disagree. I am seriously paranoid about my security and yet I am on FaceBook.
I firmly believe it can be done without all of the drama, if you know what you are doing.

I'm sure it will (have some breach again) :) The chat thing, exposing users email addresses again, something else, it's Facebook. Stick it in a bathtub and see if it floats seems to be the gist of the feature rollout planning.

I'm not sure the word drama applies. It's data, which is non-emotive. Statistics. Information. Money. Business.

But if you're all locked down you're probably doing better than most on there. I'm actually not *that* paranoid but some stuff there gives me pause. But I still use it. :p

And I'm agreeing to disagree now too also, cheers!

t0p
May 12th, 2010, 02:40 AM
of how to maintain your privacy settings and therefore your privacy on FaeBook. Most everything is set to "everyone" by default, which does leave
you very much open to privacy invasion. But, if you know this, you can fix it like I did.
It is the non-computer savvy people that do not realize that everything they put on FaceBook can be seen by the entire world because they do not know any better.

[...]

This is just my opinion, but I feel if you stay on top of things, you can be secure on there. I don't give anyone my SS number or my bank account number or anything stupid like that anyway.

You make the assumption that you are able to secure the info Facebook has about you through the privacy settings. But that is only part of the problem. The fact is, Facebook is insecure regardless of the privacy settings. If you have given any personal info to Facebook, that info is going to be sold. That's how Facebook makes most of its money. And on top of that, there's the fact that Facebook's systems are insecure, so crooks are able to access Facebook's databases and steal the personal info you think you've protected by making the info "private".

It would be nice to imagine that the people who run Facebook are honest and ethical and protect the data they hold as well as can be done. Unfortunately, that ain't how it works.

Ric_NYC
May 12th, 2010, 03:13 AM
Obama Advises Nation's Youth: "Be Careful What You Put on Facebook"

Video
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EqpO4nNpLg)

User3k
May 12th, 2010, 03:18 AM
To quit you would have to be a part of it. Since I am not, then I guess I am not quitting, lol.

MySpace, Facebook, other social sites like that I stay away from. In theory it could be a great place for family and friends to get together online. In practice they turn out only to be a money making tool (at the expense of the user, their privacy, and so on,) They also seem to be a political tool (at least here in the USA,) for politicians to pass laws that eventually spread out and affect everyone and take away freedoms, etc, with the internet.

So as far as I am concerned let these places die and go away. Unless by some strange chance those who use the internet actually ban together and tell these places ENOUGH! with one loud, strong and united voice.

malspa
May 12th, 2010, 03:21 AM
I quit Facebook because I got bored with it.

arnab_das
May 12th, 2010, 04:01 AM
You make the assumption that you are able to secure the info Facebook has about you through the privacy settings. But that is only part of the problem. The fact is, Facebook is insecure regardless of the privacy settings. If you have given any personal info to Facebook, that info is going to be sold. That's how Facebook makes most of its money. And on top of that, there's the fact that Facebook's systems are insecure, so crooks are able to access Facebook's databases and steal the personal info you think you've protected by making the info "private".

It would be nice to imagine that the people who run Facebook are honest and ethical and protect the data they hold as well as can be done. Unfortunately, that ain't how it works.

eg. i changed my privacy settings so that it would hide practically everything. but now, i logged in from another pc and found that anyone can still check out my profile pic as well as my 'likes'.

Tristam Green
May 12th, 2010, 02:15 PM

A problem which was fixed within hours of the story breaking. NT!

Google your name and you'll see your pic in Google Images... If you have a profile on Facebook.

"Thanks", Facebook.

Sorry, I did this and I didn't see a single picture of myself -- I have a profile and my name has been tagged in images on my page and the pages of my mother and aunts. NT

+1. I also use it as a test of character. If someone mentions Facebook to me, I immediately think less of them. :twisted:

How unfortunate for you to base your opinions of a person's character on their software or website choices. It speaks volumes for the value placed on the tenets of freedom so righteously held by Linux users worldwide.

I use Facebook, but I'm also smart enough to know how to delve through privacy settings and remove access to things I don't want seen by the public, or even seen by my own friends.

donkyhotay
May 12th, 2010, 02:39 PM
I never started using facebook due to privacy concerns. The stuff thats been happening recently with it just confirms things.

Cavsfan
May 12th, 2010, 03:10 PM
eg. i changed my privacy settings so that it would hide practically everything. but now, i logged in from another pc and found that anyone can still check out my profile pic as well as my 'likes'.

If you went to another PC, that PC had to have a login to FaceBook as all that comes up is a login screen if not.
My former neighbors, he is 79 I believe, got on FaceBook and I could not find him for the life of me. Searching his name
brought up close to 500 names. I had to email him my profile address in order for him to find me.
And his stuff was set to everyone, so I could add him.
Posts that I make are only viewable to friends, so I do not think they can be seen and if so, big deal.
I do not post anything confidential on anyone's profile.

Most of my info tab was public after they updated their privacy, but even then nothing seriously important showed up.
I did fix that part and now when I check my privacy settings, my favorite quote does show up.
But that is it. It does not show my friends (there is a way to hide friends if you know how).
My sex, city nor my picture show up like I pointed out about my friend the professor's brother.
He could not even see my pic and he was a friend of many friends of mine before I befriended him.
I went through every single page, group that I have and set each of them to "friends only" as they default to "Everyone" naturally.
I believe when you preview your privacy settings, you can see your pic, but I know for a fact that non-friends cannot.
Even if they could, sometimes I have a cat or another off the wall pic for my profile.

The worst that could happen is someone could obtain my email addy or my address.
I have taken off my address as none of my other friends have their address on it.
In the event that they got that, I have spam filters, etc. And even if someone found my address,
what are they going to do rob me?
If they sold my info to someone, what am I going to get more junk mail than I already do? Or more spam email? Big deal!

That's just it: I have no valuable personal information on there for anyone to steal.
And if someone were to steal my identity, I would know within a day or less. And like I say, if someone were to log on as me,
they would not gain so much info that I would be worried.

President Obama's video was a good message to kids and I agree with what he is saying.

This is a good thread.

I am staying on FaceBook until they do something really stupid, which may yet happen.
But, hiring the former FTC chairman for their privacy guru is a positive step in my mind.

Foster Grant
May 12th, 2010, 03:13 PM
As of yesterday, I'm out. Really surprised some of my friends -- "OMG! What?!? You can't quit Facebook! It's part of everybody's life now!"

Ummm ... I had a life, friends, hobbies, and what-not before Facebook. Methinks I will still have all that after Facebook.

The ongoing privacy changes╣ bother me but I think they're a symptom of an even bigger problem --- success has gone to the heads of Zuckerberg and his senior managers, making them too arrogant for their own good. That way lies MySpace, also known as the Internet's Abandoned Amusement Park.

╣In late April, the Electronic Frontier Foundation put out a piece outlining Facebook's ongoing changes to its privacy restrictions: http://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2010/04/facebook-timeline

K.Mandla
May 12th, 2010, 03:32 PM
How unfortunate for you to base your opinions of a person's character on their software or website choices. It speaks volumes for the value placed on the tenets of freedom so righteously held by Linux users worldwide.
Yes.

Objekt
May 12th, 2010, 04:02 PM
I may be repeating myself, but I never joined Facebook over privacy concerns. What do I win? :P

Cavsfan
May 12th, 2010, 04:09 PM
As of yesterday, I'm out. Really surprised some of my friends -- "OMG! What?!? You can't quit Facebook! It's part of everybody's life now!"

Ummm ... I had a life, friends, hobbies, and what-not before Facebook. Methinks I will still have all that after Facebook.

The ongoing privacy changes╣ bother me but I think they're a symptom of an even bigger problem --- success has gone to the heads of Zuckerberg and his senior managers, making them too arrogant for their own good. That way lies MySpace, also known as the Internet's Abandoned Amusement Park.

╣In late April, the Electronic Frontier Foundation put out a piece outlining Facebook's ongoing changes to its privacy restrictions: http://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2010/04/facebook-timeline

Good site! I think I'll hang with it a little longer and see if Timothy Muris makes any difference.
I may join you if it does not get better or gets worse.

Foster Grant
May 12th, 2010, 04:56 PM
Anybody for an open-source alternative? Some New York college students are coding it.

They crowdsourced the financing through Kickstarter, hoping to come up with $10,000 by June 1.

Raised so far, with 20 days to go: over $33,000. :)

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/12/nyregion/12about.html?partner=rss&emc=rss
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/196017994/diaspora-the-personally-controlled-do-it-all-distr

There's a lot of anger and frustration out there. I figured it was only a matter of time before somebody would take this project on.

Cavsfan
May 12th, 2010, 04:56 PM
I thought Timothy Muris, the former FTC chairman was going to work for FaceBook as their privacy czar.
But, apparently he is only becoming their lobbyist to present FaceBook's case before the US congress.
Which happens to be worried about our privacy and what FaceBook is doing with it.

Just another politician turned lobbyist! He does have some rather prestigious awards though.
But, we all know what lobbyists are: "someone who is employed to persuade legislators to vote for legislation that favors the lobbyist's employer"
And we also know that money talks and ...

Timothy Muris to Steer FaceBook through Washington (http://www.fastcompany.com/1643156/former-ftc-chair-timothy-muris-to-steer-facebook-through-washington)

Well, I will wait a little while to see how things pan out, but it doesn't look encouraging.

Thanks arnab_das for starting this thread. It has been informative and educational!

Cavsfan
May 12th, 2010, 04:58 PM
Anybody for an open-source alternative? Some New York college students are coding it.

They crowdsourced the financing through Kickstarter, hoping to come up with $10,000 by June 1.

Raised so far, with 20 days to go: over $33,000. :)

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/12/nyregion/12about.html?partner=rss&emc=rss
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/196017994/diaspora-the-personally-controlled-do-it-all-distr

There's a lot of anger and frustration out there. I figured it was only a matter of time before somebody would take this project on.

I am so glad to hear this! I wish I could code! :guitar:

Sealbhach
May 12th, 2010, 05:05 PM
I'm on Facebook, but with a fictitious name, only because my friends nagged me to get on it.

I hardly ever go there, it's one of my least favourite sites in all the world.

McRat
May 12th, 2010, 05:07 PM
I quit after that episode of South Park concerning Facebook.

I don't want to get sucked into the computer, even if it does have a happy ending.

mick222
May 12th, 2010, 05:07 PM
Really if you want privacy why join a social network . Maybe this is strange but if I want to see or speak to my friends I phone or visit them. I don't splash pictures of myself all over the internet and expect them to stay private.

User3k
May 12th, 2010, 05:09 PM
Really if you want privacy why join a social network . Maybe this is strange but if I want to see or speak to my friends I phone or visit them. I don't splash pictures of myself all over the internet and expect them to stay private.

Phone... visit them.... What are these strange words you speak of? ;):lolflag:

gabriella
May 12th, 2010, 05:21 PM
If you have given any personal info to Facebook, that info is going to be sold. That's how Facebook makes most of its money.

Can you elaborate? I wasn't aware that Facebook sold members info!

betrunkenaffe
May 12th, 2010, 05:24 PM
Hope you've heard of the recent leaks and outrageous facebook privacy settings.

If you havent here are a few articles describing it: http://www.pcworld.com/article/194866/facebooks_new_features_and_your_privacy_what_you_n eed_to_know.html

http://www.networkworld.com/news/2010/050610-facebook-privacy-complaint-a-complete.html?hpg1=bn

No, I quit facebook (used full delete profile option) before these came up due to privacy issues.

fatality_uk
May 12th, 2010, 05:26 PM
Can I refer the right honourable questioner to the answer I gave a while ago.
http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=9089517&postcount=2

julio_cortez
May 12th, 2010, 05:34 PM
Can you elaborate? I wasn't aware that Facebook sold members info!
I think your or mine personal info aren't sold (I don't think that any company would be interested in knowing that I like this better than that, even because the email address I gave to FB is just my old one that I use as a spam collector), but well, surely information like "20 people out of 100 like this better than that" or something similar are sold and are valuable.
Think about it, they must get the money to run the servers somewhere else, provided that we don't pay anything. I'm more concerned about those groups telling "subscribe and get the answer to this diffffffficult riddle which even a 6-years-old kid can solve" than about everything else.
Once you join one of them, your e-mail is likely to be target of heavy spam (and that's why I keep myself pretty far from this kind of groups).

Anyway, I have my own policy regarding Facebook:

I don't give away neither my "current" e-mail address nor important info (the place where I live, phone number, relationship status)
I only accept friend request from people I know (yes, I only use FB to keep in touch with people I know and who I can't get to in other ways)
I divided my contacts in several sub-sets, each of which has separate permissions (friends I usually go out with can access my photos, colleagues can't, let alone relatives) and so on..

WinterRain
May 12th, 2010, 06:29 PM
I use fake identity there. So I don't care.

I don't use facebook, so I don't care.

Tristam Green
May 12th, 2010, 07:02 PM
To those who don't care, thanks for sharing.

RiceMonster
May 12th, 2010, 07:03 PM
To those who don't care, thanks for sharing.

I don't care that you just thanked all those people for sharing.

Tristam Green
May 12th, 2010, 07:08 PM
I don't care that you just thanked all those people for sharing.

Know how much I care that you just posted that?

**CLICK FOR ANSWER**
goose egg, baby

what?!?! no spoiler tags??! shameful.

RiceMonster
May 12th, 2010, 07:10 PM
Know how much I care that you just posted that?

**CLICK FOR ANSWER**
goose egg, baby

what?!?! no spoiler tags??! shameful.

There is no hidding your text for those who do not wish to see it on these boards.

Then again, I don't really care about that.

gnomeuser
May 12th, 2010, 08:14 PM
I got myself on Facebook to communicate with people from my past I fundamentally don't like, it's stupid really. Namely my old grade school class which insists on a yearly reunion Christmas party.

Though I have found uses for it, I very rarely use Facebook these days. Now that I found my old buddy again we just talk on Skype instead.

I scheduled my account for web 2.0 suicide in August which will give people time to adjust and update their contact information for me. This is primarily do to the uselessness and the privacy invasion Facebook has turned out to be.

MCVenom
May 13th, 2010, 01:44 PM
Really excited about Diaspora, and yes I'm deleting my Facebook account. I will encourage others to leave Facebook when Diaspora grows into maturity.

kevinatkins
May 13th, 2010, 02:04 PM
I closed my Facebook account a month or so ago because of just these sort of concerns..

Cavsfan
May 13th, 2010, 02:28 PM
Really excited about Diaspora, and yes I'm deleting my Facebook account. I will encourage others to leave Facebook when Diaspora grows into maturity.

I am also really excited about Diaspora and this is going to be the best thing possible for social networking.
They have reached their goal in 12 days with a lot of international help! I am going to stick with facebook for
now until they have Diaspora up and running.
Then I will try to ween my friends off of facebook and onto Diaspora.
Apparently, there are people that care about other people's privacy and do not want to use it to their advantage unlike bookface!
I am tired of having to tell people that they are exposing themselves to the entire world and they do not even know it.

:popcorn:

http://www.joindiaspora.com/

Tristam Green
May 13th, 2010, 02:57 PM
A wise man told me this morning:

1) Announce an alternative/replacement to Facebook.
2) Beg for donations.
3) ???
4) PROFIT
4a) Disappear forever.

Grenage
May 13th, 2010, 03:04 PM
I find it amusing that anyone who installs any Facebook apps could be at all concerned about privacy.

When you opt to install one, it says something along the lines of "we will have access to your personal information, photographs, friend's information" etc.

I remain unsure as to why a flash game such as Bejeweled would need that kind of information.

CharlesA
May 13th, 2010, 03:52 PM
I find it amusing that anyone who installs any Facebook apps could be at all concerned about privacy.

When you opt to install one, it says something along the lines of "we will have access to your personal information, photographs, friend's information" etc.

I remain unsure as to why a flash game such as Bejeweled would need that kind of information.

No kidding.

I am glad that I don't deal with any of the apps on FB. Waste of time tbh.

Cavsfan
May 13th, 2010, 06:41 PM
No kidding.

I am glad that I don't deal with any of the apps on FB. Waste of time tbh.

I even joined a fanpage that is called something like "I don't care about your farmville,
your yoville, etc. etc..." I do not touch any of that stuff.
And I have gone back through and tweaked every single thing to "Friends only".
I've got to admit that it is getting harder and harder to maintain all of these settings and I know what I am looking for!

The concept is good though. I have been able to re-connect with friends in Italy for example.
Which I would have never been able to do w/o facebook.

I am very curious to see how Diaspora pans out... There are an overwhelming amount of people
that DO care about their privacy that are donating a lot of money to the project.
Many of them outside the US.
I cannot see it eventually caving to advertising revenue and becoming money hungry.
It's open source and that would like Ubuntu doing that. And we know that is not going to happen.

mister_playboy
May 14th, 2010, 01:19 AM
http://www.businessinsider.com/well-these-new-zuckerberg-ims-wont-help-facebooks-privacy-problems-2010-5

Draw your own conclusions...

Dayofswords
May 14th, 2010, 01:22 AM
i hardly have any info on me on facebook, 'public' can view 20%(those are basically ones i cant change), 'friends' can see 40%, 'family' can see 70%, other 30% is parts that are filled, but not shown to anyone.
and i dont just ad all willy-nilly.

I actually have to know you in person.

and i dont use any apps on there.

(yeah i'm talking to you mr. reader with 800 friends, how many of them you actually know, huh?! have you adjusted the setting to share to people you want to, huh?!)

oldsoundguy
May 14th, 2010, 01:52 AM
On the FB apps .. right, every app they have is a security compromise and the worst is "who is watching you". If you mistakenly loaded that up, KILL IT!

Dayofswords
May 14th, 2010, 05:51 AM
On the FB apps .. right, every app they have is a security compromise and the worst is "who is watching you". If you mistakenly loaded that up, KILL IT!burn it with fire!!

tadcan
May 14th, 2010, 09:16 AM
Am very close to quitting. Rechecked my settings after reading the thread and discovered new settings defaulted to public.

Friends I meet every week are not FB friends. Whats the point they are real friends!

MrNatewood
May 14th, 2010, 09:22 AM
Privacy is dead, get used to it:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1634316293369601334

DreamShardDev
May 14th, 2010, 09:27 AM
I quit facebook for security and privacy concerns. By law if authorities get a warrant on you then they can access alot of your information messages etc.
There's no real privacy online. Tor does bring you a step closer.

Khakilang
May 14th, 2010, 09:43 AM
I don't put any personal info so I don't care. Just play some game and look at friend's news feed. I don't buy on line nor do I have a credit card.

arnab_das
May 14th, 2010, 10:24 AM
I don't put any personal info so I don't care. Just play some game and look at friend's news feed. I don't buy on line nor do I have a credit card.

thats the point, you dont need to 'put' anything to get traced or tracked. facebook and google know more about u than even ur neighbours do :P

Grenage
May 14th, 2010, 11:54 AM
thats the point, you dont need to 'put' anything to get traced or tracked. facebook and google know more about u than even ur neighbours do :P

The bottom line, is do you really care? I don't care that much; if I did, I wouldn't be using this forum.

Groucho Marxist
May 14th, 2010, 12:03 PM
One Godwin point for you. :3

Bravo :D 10 points for Gryffindor.

tadcan
May 14th, 2010, 12:06 PM
The BBC has a report, seems the issue is coming to a head.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/8681730.stm

Cavsfan
May 14th, 2010, 04:06 PM
The BBC has a report, seems the issue is coming to a head.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/8681730.stm

+1 Very nice article.

djinnkeeper
May 14th, 2010, 04:30 PM
The best way to protect yourself against Facebook is to never visit the site.
.. your friends and family may disown you, but at least you'll have your privacy. ;)

cap10Ibraim
May 14th, 2010, 04:47 PM
What kind of private data pple have on facebook ?

northwestuntu
May 14th, 2010, 05:47 PM
never liked facebook. everyone i know is on it. im the last holdout :P

23meg
May 14th, 2010, 05:50 PM
I've never used Facebook, but am donating to Diaspora (http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/196017994/diaspora-the-personally-controlled-do-it-all-distr).

northwestuntu
May 14th, 2010, 05:59 PM
I've never used Facebook, but am donating to Diaspora (http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/196017994/diaspora-the-personally-controlled-do-it-all-distr).

looks interesting. i just watched a leo laporte show in it. they have raised a ton of money.

ubunterooster
May 14th, 2010, 06:10 PM
I am no more open there than I am here. My privacy is private; I don't tell others anything.

neotifa
May 14th, 2010, 09:00 PM
If you made account with your real name, real address, real birth date and attach your image, then facebook knows everything about even how you look.

So, don`t mess with facebook people :)

fatality_uk
May 14th, 2010, 09:07 PM
I like the comment on the BBC story

Why do they have to keep messing with something that works just fine as it is

BECAUSE YOUR DATA IS VALUABLE FOR THEM TO SELL TO ADVERTISERS AND THEY ARE TRYING TO MAKE MONEY SELLING YOUR INFORMATION!!!

ubunterooster
May 14th, 2010, 09:09 PM
If you made account with your real name, Nope
real addressnope ,
real birth date and attach your image, nope
then facebook knows everything about even how you look.

So, don`t mess with facebook people :) Don't? They know nothing about me... :D

shafin
May 14th, 2010, 09:58 PM
Got out now, but not because of privacy concerns. I'm increasingly concerned about Facebook the company's behavior and don't want add one more of their numbers when selling the product to advertisers.

shafin
May 14th, 2010, 09:59 PM
I am no more open there than I am here. My privacy is private; I don't tell others anything.
You're only as private as your most public friend, in most cases, which translates into very little privacy.

ubunterooster
May 14th, 2010, 10:12 PM
LOL, I could say I am more open here. I don't say anything private there; it's more of a news feed for me.

ubunterooster
May 14th, 2010, 10:25 PM
Never mind a thing I said; I looked at my feed and looking what everyone else is posting about themselves. I guess I am an exception to the common rule of info sharing.

JDShu
May 15th, 2010, 06:18 AM
My usage of facebook has been falling for the past 2 years. With the announcement of Diaspora, I decided to delete the account. Don't want to keep making sure I opt out of various things. I figure if I really need something like Facebook, Diaspora will be fun to test out.

MooPi
May 15th, 2010, 06:33 AM
Just a short time after I created an account on Facebook I became disenchanted with the idea. It was annoying and frivolous noise to me. I was there and gone before any of this privacy goo hit the fan. Good riddance Facebook.

BoneKracker
May 15th, 2010, 07:04 AM
Never was a member never will be, on any of the web social sites, other then the UF, and a few other tech forums.

++

From the beginning, these social networking sites that encourage people to publish their personal identity and great amounts of personal information struck me as an ignorant sacrifice of personal privacy and information security.

I can't help but laugh when I hear about people who have stepped on their own dongle by jumping head first into these things. Lemmings all.

mmix
May 15th, 2010, 07:11 AM
what is it?
anyway, murderer is watching you..

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/wear/8556914.stm

BoneKracker
May 15th, 2010, 07:33 AM
The sad part is, the same lemmings who joined MySpace and FaceBook will also jump on whatever the next lemming thing is to come along -- probably something on the iPhone where you can wear a little camera fob and make your own "reality TV show" out of your meaningless life (and even more pathetic, tune into the reality shows of the pointless lives of others).

Lemmings will always find something or somebody to follow, whether it's political propaganda, styles they think make them hip, or technology designed for the socially insecure.

brian183
May 15th, 2010, 07:42 AM
The sad part is, the same lemmings who joined MySpace and FaceBook will also jump on whatever the next lemming thing is to come along -- probably something on the iPhone where you can wear a little camera fob and make your own "reality TV show" out of your meaningless life (and even more pathetic, tune into the reality shows of the pointless lives of others).

Lemmings will always find something or somebody to follow, whether it's political propaganda, styles they think make them hip, or technology designed for the socially insecure.

JTV? UStream?

BoneKracker
May 15th, 2010, 07:57 AM
JTV? UStream?

Ack! You're saying it's been done?

They should call it Lemming TV. :eek:

Grenage
May 15th, 2010, 12:28 PM
God help that the masses should do what makes them happy. Remember that not everyone cares if companies know a load of information about them, and those that do are nowhere near as anal as people here.

No need to look down your nose at others, just because they have lives.

amitabhishek
May 15th, 2010, 12:44 PM
If you want privacy; don't be on FB.

BoneKracker
May 15th, 2010, 01:36 PM
God help that the masses should do what makes them happy. Remember that not everyone cares if companies know a load of information about them, and those that do are nowhere near as anal as people here.

It's not about being "anal". It's about people stealing your identity and emptying your bank accounts or destroying your credit for a decade. It's about being turned down for jobs because of controversial opinions you may have expressed online (perhaps in jest). It's about regretting for the rest of your life the pictures of you that are online forever holding a bong to your lips or exposing yourself in some club in Cancun.

Naivety doesn't mean someone has a "life".

Grenage
May 15th, 2010, 01:48 PM
People know that it's there to view, and they generally won't post things they don't want others to see. The chunk of us worrying about this kind of privacy issue are in the minority, to a large degree.

Most people don't care; they want to check their e-mail, see what their friends have been up to, and view some 'hilarious' youtube videos. There's no need for the scorn.

One might also say: if you don't want a picture of you with a bong to your lips, don't put a bong to your lips. ;)

BoneKracker
May 15th, 2010, 02:14 PM
People know that it's there to view, and they generally won't post things they don't want others to see. The chunk of us worrying about this kind of privacy issue are in the minority, to a large degree.

Most people don't care; they want to check their e-mail, see what their friends have been up to, and view some 'hilarious' youtube videos. There's no need for the scorn.

One might also say: if you don't want a picture of you with a bong to your lips, don't put a bong to your lips. ;)
Yeah, but you see, people make assumptions about the degree of anonymity, security, or privacy they have.

For example, you might have an anonymous account in some venue and post a compromising picture of yourself. Two years later, Google releases "Face Finder" or something, and you're hosed, because your employer, the person you want to date, and that person who has been nursing a grudge against you can all search for pictures of you via facial recognition.

For example, unbeknownst to you, your social networking community changes the rules, and suddenly everybody on the friggin' planet can see the stuff you thought could only be seen by people you had personally selected. Oops.

For example, 99% of people don't understand things like dictionary attacks and rainbow tables, and have no idea exactly what a truly good password is. Hint: "blueberry1988" ain't it.

They also don't have a clue of the extent to which the personal information they reveal not only provides an easy means for them to be selected as targets for certain crimes but also provides ammunition to be used against them by anyone engaged in social engineering. Nor do they have any degree of insight as to the number of people engaged in such activity.

Ask any of the millions and millions of people who had their identity stolen last year or were otherwise hacked, phished, scammed, harassed, or bilked online if they still think ignorance is bliss or that obscurity is security.

This is not about paranoia or "worrying". It's about making intelligent, informed choices.

Grenage
May 15th, 2010, 03:29 PM
This is not about paranoia or "worrying". It's about making intelligent, informed choices.

Oh I agree, but it's unlikely that most people will ever give social networking sites a second thought. The kind of people that use social networking sites to a great degree probably aren't the kind of people to ponder such ramifications.

Nightstrike2009
May 15th, 2010, 03:45 PM
I was on Myspace and suffered a fake login page attack, after this happened I closed my account (eventually after a lot of emails to admin). I changed all log-in info the prevent infection but now I wouldn't touch Facebook or anything like it. The risk of invasion of privacy is too high and not worth it, in my opinion.

BoneKracker
May 15th, 2010, 04:12 PM
Oh I agree, but it's unlikely that most people will ever give social networking sites a second thought. The kind of people that use social networking sites to a great degree probably aren't the kind of people to ponder such ramifications.
Oh, I agree. And that's why there are like ten million stolen identities a year and parents blissfully unaware their children are talking to pedobear.

It's like my clueless neighbor with her unencrypted wireless. I was tempted to put a sniffer on there to see what dirt I could dig up, but she gave me cookies at Christmas. :P

fatality_uk
May 15th, 2010, 04:26 PM
The one thing to bear in mind with FaceBook is that they have tried to change their terms of use more than 5 times I can remember. Granted the majority of people will never have read the T&C's, but that doesn't mean they want the data they offer visible to people they DON'T know and advertisers.

ubunterooster
May 15th, 2010, 07:39 PM
I read the T&C; if most knew (like those I have informed of what it says) they would (and have) say "as long as my boss doesn't know" (or the similar response)

JDShu
May 15th, 2010, 11:16 PM
The one thing to bear in mind with FaceBook is that they have tried to change their terms of use more than 5 times I can remember. Granted the majority of people will never have read the T&C's, but that doesn't mean they want the data they offer visible to people they DON'T know and advertisers.

Indeed. What this means is that regular Facebook users need to be continuously alert and react appropriately to each policy change. There are universities where students have to be told specifically by the school to opt out of the various Facebook programs.

ubunterooster
May 16th, 2010, 02:03 AM
Woah,. I just realized I am only on FB so I can hear what my friends would not otherwise say; a depersonalization effect for them.

BoneKracker
May 16th, 2010, 02:12 AM
Failbook

aysiu
May 16th, 2010, 02:15 AM
It's not about being "anal". It's about people stealing your identity and emptying your bank accounts or destroying your credit for a decade. It's about being turned down for jobs because of controversial opinions you may have expressed online (perhaps in jest). It's about regretting for the rest of your life the pictures of you that are online forever holding a bong to your lips or exposing yourself in some club in Cancun. A few points:

1. You don't have to, just by using Facebook, reveal information that will help people steal your identity or destroy your credit. Facebook has only the information you choose to reveal.

2. Even if you don't join Facebook, one of your friends can still take a picture of you holding a bong to your lips, tag you in that photo (yes, you can tag people who do not have Facebook profiles), and make that photo viewable to the public.

3. Even if you don't yourself reveal your personal information related to finances, it's quite easy to have your identity stolen or your credit destroyed. It's not infrequent for companies that store your information to have breaches of security in which social security numbers and birthdates are stolen (and then you get some letter saying that that happened, and they're sorry and whatever). Remember this incident from last year? Stolen UC Berkeley Laptop Exposes Personal Data on 100,000 (http://www.securityinfowatch.com/Access+Control/stolen-uc-berkeley-laptop-exposes-personal-data-100000)

It's perfectly reasonable to not want to join Facebook. But please don't pretend that by refraining from doing so that you are necessarily protecting your privacy. For further reading: Privacy on the internet still doesn't exist (http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntucat/privacy-on-the-internet-still-doesnt-exist/)

BoneKracker
May 16th, 2010, 02:40 AM
It's perfectly reasonable to not want to join Facebook. But please don't pretend that by refraining from doing so that you are necessarily protecting your privacy.

I'm not sure you actually said what you meant to there.

Refraining from joining Facebook is not going to protect you from all threats to your privacy. That's a given.

However, refraining from joining Facebook WILL protect you from blithely violating your own privacy by naively exposing yourself to Facebook-related threats to your privacy, of which there are a burgeoning number.

What you said is like saying, "Please don't pretend that by refraining from crowds of people infected with the flu you are necessarily protecting your health."

There are many threats to your health, but only a moron spends more time than necessary mingling in a crowd of people notorious for being inundated with a flu epidemic.

BoneKracker
May 16th, 2010, 02:43 AM
It's perfectly reasonable to not want to join Facebook. But please don't pretend that by refraining from doing so that you are necessarily protecting your privacy.

I'm not sure you actually said what you meant to there.

Refraining from joining Facebook is not going to protect you from all threats to your privacy. That's a given.

However, refraining from joining Facebook WILL protect you from blithely violating your own privacy by naively exposing yourself to Facebook-related threats to your privacy, of which there are a burgeoning number.

What you said is like saying, "Please don't pretend that by refraining from crowds of people infected with the flu you are necessarily protecting your health."

There are many threats to your health, but only a moron spends more time than necessary hanging around the hospital emergency room waiting area during a flu epidemic.

Superkoop
May 16th, 2010, 04:12 AM
Lol.

Facebook only has the information that you give it, so don't give FB your private information, and you will be fine. If you don't want just anyone to access your profile, make it private... duh. The only way you can find me on Facebook is if you go to my school, or are a friend of a friend. My only friends are people I know, therefore if my friend's friends add me, I don't care.

And all that information that your friends put up about you? It doesn't matter one bit if FB exists, or the internet for that matter. We all still have cameras, and those pictures exist either way. How about rather worrying about people can find out about you, you simply don't engage in that behavior to begin with? It seems only logical to me that if you are scared of people finding out that you got hammered and gave your friends a lap dance or something, you shouldn't have engaged in that risky behavior to begin with...

People find out about things without Facebook, it's no less private than anything else in life...

The Lesson to Learn:
Behave in a fashion you desire to be perceived.

BoneKracker
May 16th, 2010, 04:46 AM
Facebook only has the information that you give it, so don't give FB your private information, and you will be fine. If you don't want just anyone to access your profile, make it private... duh. The only way you can find me on Facebook is if you go to my school, or are a friend of a friend. My only friends are people I know, therefore if my friend's friends add me, I don't care.[/QUOTE[
Fail.

[QUOTE]People find out about things without Facebook, it's no less private than anything else in life...
That's simply not true. How many of your personal friends suddenly and without warning broadcast everything you have confided in them to all of their friends and and their friends' friends, etc.?

How many people put a billboard up in their front yard that says:
Name
Dislikes
Hobbies
List of friends
Where I am right now
What I'm thinking right now
What I thought yesterday
Pictures of me
Pictures of my family
Pictures of my friends

The Internet is fundamentally different that interpersonal relationships in that it is automated, without discretion, searchable, and it never forgets.

The Lesson to Learn:
Behave in a fashion you desire to be perceived.
Yeah, right. And behave in a fashion that assumes all possible contexts, audiences, and viewers simultaneously. Right. And behave in a fashion you will desire to be perceived in 1, 3, 5, and 10 years, even though you have no clue what that fashion will be because you are an adolescent. Uh huh. Just like your grandma was thinking when she got that wild tattoo back in 1954. :P

Ranko Kohime
May 16th, 2010, 11:28 PM
Some of us are well aware of the "issues" with Facebook, and use it for that specific purpose.

I WANT all the information I post to be disseminated far and wide. That's the whole point of me being there. :)

Tristam Green
May 17th, 2010, 12:55 AM

Hey, watch out now, we know how well logic is taken here. It might actually get called "fail".

@BoneKracker: fail.

cavedog
May 17th, 2010, 01:50 AM
Never used it, never will. You want to find out about me? Ask me, or spend the time digging out the breadcrumbs.

BoneKracker
May 17th, 2010, 03:35 AM

Hey, watch out now, we know how well logic is taken here. It might actually get called "fail".

@BoneKracker: fail.

Yeah, that's real solid logic. I don't mean to be disparaging, but that's about on par with

"Don't tell people to wear condoms; not wearing condoms makes them happy. Not everyone cares about getting and spreading STDs. No need to look down your nose at people just because they have a life.".

I mean... come on. :roll:

Tristam Green
May 17th, 2010, 04:13 AM
If you friend someone, you're friending every person they've ever friended with, am I right?

I want to resist the urge to keep quoting your new favorite word.

BoneKracker
May 17th, 2010, 04:26 AM
If you friend someone, you're friending every person they've ever friended with, am I right?
See, you do get it. Thank you for continuing my STD metaphor.
"When you ______ someone, you are ..."
:P

Check this out:
http://www.tgdaily.com/software-features/49780-facebooksearch-collates-embarrassing-facebook-posts

ilovelinux33467
May 17th, 2010, 11:23 AM
not me

ubunterooster
May 17th, 2010, 11:25 AM
Some of us are well aware of the "issues" with Facebook, and use it for that specific purpose.

I WANT all the information I post to be disseminated far and wide. That's the whole point of me being there. :)
This^

I'm not quiting either

Tristam Green
May 17th, 2010, 12:48 PM
See, you do get it. Thank you for continuing my STD metaphor.
"When you ______ someone, you are ..."
:P

Check this out:
http://www.tgdaily.com/software-features/49780-facebooksearch-collates-embarrassing-facebook-posts

You clearly misunderstand my reasoning for continuing your silly metaphor.

Cavsfan
May 17th, 2010, 12:54 PM
Facebook Private Profile viewer 2010 works! (http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xcg4wi_facebook-private-profile-viewer-201_tech)

Anyone want to check this out?

madnessjack
May 17th, 2010, 01:21 PM
Facebook Private Profile viewer 2010 works! (http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xcg4wi_facebook-private-profile-viewer-201_tech)

No. :P

arnab_das
May 17th, 2010, 01:29 PM
http://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2010/04/facebook-timeline

this is a must.

m4tic
May 17th, 2010, 01:34 PM
You people are paranoid, who cares about what you like. They'll target George Bush and Bill Gate's daughters not just any other guy

fatality_uk
May 17th, 2010, 01:50 PM
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/05/14/facebook_trust_dumb/

http://youropenbook.org/?q=affair&x=23&y=10&gender=male&gender=female

Can't try the second right now, behind firewall!

ubunterooster
May 17th, 2010, 01:51 PM

Why? Who would even make such a site! I mean I've yet to be turned down of a frend request of anyone I want to befriend

scottuss
May 17th, 2010, 02:03 PM
I'm surprised that the issue of privacy with regard to Facebook has only just become such a big issue on the Interwebs.

I've flirted on and off with having an account because of these issues for a long time, they seem to get worse and now I'm back in a situation where I don't have an account (or ever will again)

However, many people that I know use it and to be honest, there isn't one of them that will care about the privacy issues.

BoneKracker
May 17th, 2010, 02:04 PM

Why? Who would even make such a site! I mean I've yet to be turned down of a frend request of anyone I want to befriend

Chicken-choking perv-boy in the video seemed pretty enthused about it.

And this guy (http://hosting.streetconcepts.com.au/designs/pedobear/Pedobear.png) likes it too, I'm sure.

Here you go:
http://easyprivateprofileviewer.com/

R3VAMP3D
May 17th, 2010, 02:13 PM
Theres no such thing as deleting a Facebook account. The only record of a deletion of such accounts is by Chuck Norris, who roundhouse kicked the server in the faceplate, thus causing data parity bits to shift and corrupt his personal data. ;)

scottuss
May 17th, 2010, 02:20 PM
Just checked out the Diaspora website. Looks very interesting, but I can't see it becoming the next Facebook. Not enough "normal people" care about setting up their own node, they don't understand all that.

To them, they go to the Facebook website, log in, and all of their stuff is there.

These guys are going to have to make it STUPIDLY easy to set up your own node etc. Oh and it's probably not wise to use the term "node". Most people will probably screw their face up in confusion at just that word.

Cavsfan
May 17th, 2010, 02:27 PM
Chicken-choking perv-boy in the video seemed pretty enthused about it.

And this guy (http://hosting.streetconcepts.com.au/designs/pedobear/Pedobear.png) likes it too, I'm sure.

Here you go:
http://easyprivateprofileviewer.com/

Right! I don't do surveys, but apparently it works.
I am curious to see what FaceBook does about this privacy thing as they are scrutinized by the US congress and others.
And I am also curious as to what Mr ex-FTC chairman is going to do/say.

Maybe FaceBook will also notice that most of the top minds have already abandoned it. And that privacy will eventually be their downfall.
They would have to be total idiots not to notice what is going on.
If you are on FaceBook, look in the Help Center at the bottom right and query "likes and interests". You will see there are quite a number
of ticked off people on there complaining about it.

FaceBook surpassed Google in traffic awhile ago and it would be funny to see Google surpass FaceBook! LOL! And that will happen if they
don't get with the program and give people their privacy back. There will be a mass exodus if it doesn't happen.

It is hard to believe that there are more words in FaceBook's privacy policy than the US Constitution! It is also pretty stupid!

Cavsfan
May 17th, 2010, 02:29 PM
theres no such thing as deleting a facebook account. The only record of a deletion of such accounts is by chuck norris, who roundhouse kicked the server in the faceplate, thus causing data parity bits to shift and corrupt his personal data. ;)

lmao!

wonderweirdo
May 17th, 2010, 02:38 PM
I did last week when a guy who was sent to reform school after beating me to a pulp in 3rd grade tried to connect to me.

mmix
May 17th, 2010, 02:48 PM
You people are paranoid, who cares about what you like. They'll target George Bush and Bill Gate's daughters not just any other guy

Yes, they don't care about you.
But they want your money, your body, oh their greedy/disgusting desire.

You don't know who you are, either,
You don't know who they are.

t0p
May 17th, 2010, 03:10 PM

Maybe someone doesn't like you. Not because you invaded Iraq or your dad's Bill Gates; maybe it's cos you "stole" "their" parking space or took the last blueberry muffin in the cafeteria. Or maybe you're rich and they want some of your lolly. Whatever. The point is, they have decided to target you.

The 3v1l h4x0r knows your Gmail address, but not the password. That isn't necessarily a problem though, if you're an average FaceBooker. Remember when you opened your Gmail account and had to choose a security question for use if you forgot your password? Well, what's the betting that the answer to your security question is on Facebook? Things like your first school, the name of your dog, all that kinda stuff, is often findable. Because the average FaceBooker likes sharing info. And if the info isn't explicitly posted, it may well be deducible. Also, your personal info can give clues to your password. It's sad but true that a great many people use the name of their boyfriend/girlfriend/child/dog as a password. And FaceBook is full of that stuff.

There are other ways to do this stuff, but I won't go into details as it would probably violate the CoC. Suffice it to say: careless FaceBookery can land you in trouble. If a no-gooder gained access to your email, what could he do? If you're one of the very many people who have great swathes of your personal, business and banking life online... that no-gooder can do a lot of no-good to you.

Yes, I know FaceBook is not unique in this respect. A cunning google can give up a lot too. But FaceBook can be a real problem, especially as they change their policies every five minutes so you don't have a clue what info is available. So be careful dammit!

infestor
May 17th, 2010, 03:28 PM
http://www.businessinsider.com/well-these-new-zuckerberg-ims-wont-help-facebooks-privacy-problems-2010-5 that evil ****

sydbat
May 17th, 2010, 03:38 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9ObLGRq33o

Tristam Green
May 17th, 2010, 04:04 PM
Suffice it to say: careless FaceBookery can land you in trouble.

Careless anything-ery can get you in trouble.

Point? Don't be a moron.

sydbat
May 17th, 2010, 04:41 PM

Point? Don't be a moron.This.

Cavsfan
May 17th, 2010, 05:29 PM
This just in. Even Europe is pissed about FaceBook!

Facebook Privacy Under Review Again After EU Criticism

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2363759,00.asp

fatality_uk
May 17th, 2010, 05:36 PM

Point? Don't be a moron.

Many people are not being morons, but are actually concerned due to the fact that FaceBook keeps changing it's T&C's to try and take control of the data people post to FaceBook.

So for the millions of people who may well have read the T&C's carefully, understood them and agreed at the time, 6 months later, those have changed far and away beyond what they signed up to.

While I understand people should be careful about what they post to the internet, if they are posting assuming that only accepted friends can see that data and then all of a sudden, that data is wide open to friends of friends etc, then how can they have faith in that organisation?

Cavsfan
May 17th, 2010, 05:43 PM
Many people are not being morons, but are actually concerned due to the fact that FaceBook keeps changing it's T&C's to try and take control of the data people post to FaceBook.

So for the millions of people who may well have read the T&C's carefully, understood them and agreed at the time, 6 months later, those have changed far and away beyond what they signed up to.

While I understand people should be careful about what they post to the internet, if they are posting assuming that only accepted friends can see that data and then all of a sudden, that data is wide open to friends of friends etc, then how can they have faith in that organisation?

I totally agree! Most of my friends are not very computer savvy and did not know that they were exposing themselves to the world.
Then this change came and went. Now, they are more/exposed again.
It takes far too much effort for someone who knows what to do to make this thing private!
I even went to all the trouble of going through each page/application that I have added and set them to "Friends Only".
A lot of work. Then the next time they make a change more stuff will be opened to everyone.

I hope someone can get a handle on these devious ____ (word I won't say here :().

ubunterooster
May 17th, 2010, 06:03 PM
I warn them frequently via posts with links; they usually don't even care.

arnab_das
May 17th, 2010, 06:26 PM
okay here's the link to the wikihow of deleting a facebook account. this is the actual deleting procedure explained and not the deactivating procedure:

http://www.wikihow.com/Permanently-Delete-a-Facebook-Account

Sector11
May 17th, 2010, 06:45 PM
I warn them frequently via posts with links; they usually don't even care.

And there lies the problem, they usually don't even care! Until one day it's too late! I'm not on Facebook, today. I went once, a long time ago, with a fake name, etc. and then abandoned it.

My "net" activity isn't anything I need to "hide" but on the same token it isn't something I want published on a bulletin board spanning the (information) highway either, simply because it is no one else's business. However there are those that make it their business, Facebook for one, Google for another, give them as little as you can.

Just by using the "net" you are opening yourself up, use a little common sense and play it safe. If you leave a bit or byte here and there and someone picks up on it, it's now theirs to do with what they want.

Your privacy is your business, not theirs.

Ubuntiac
May 17th, 2010, 07:15 PM
Is it just me, or would Diaspora (http://www.joindiaspora.com) (the project many people are touting as the solution to corporate social cloud services) just make the problem worse?

As far as I can see from their website (http://www.joindiaspora.com) they're just aggregating stuff that you post on Facebook, Twitter etc not actually replacing these services. Unless I'm mistaken, this would actually get you using these sites more rather than less!

What's the point in being able to securely and privately connect to another computer if Facebook is taking copies, distributing and sharing all your data to the world before Diaspora gets a copy?

Am I missing something here? If I am, please point me to something the Diaspora team said to clear this up rather than posting what you *think* they're building. They seem to just be talking about an aggregator, which is the exact opposite of what Eben Moglen's talk (their stated inspiration) was suggesting...

I really hope I'm wrong!

tadcan
May 17th, 2010, 08:22 PM
An update, I said previously I was considering deleting my account. Well I did it today, just have to wait two weeks for it to go actually delete itself.

t0p
May 17th, 2010, 08:29 PM

Point? Don't be a moron.

You'll get no argument from me on that sage advice. I said as much when I posted:

Yes, I know FaceBook is not unique in this respect. A cunning google can give up a lot too.

But this thread has been mostly about FaceBook; that's why I spoke most about that particular attack vector. And there's another point: a lot of tech-unsavvy people use FaceBook. I'll wager there are plenty of folk who fire up the old web browser only to access FaceBook. Such people, I'm afraid, will tend to know less about security than you or me. That's why it's important for us to keep repeating this stuff, even if it's as obvious (to you and me) as the nose on Citizen Snork's face before Judge Dredd shot it off (the nose, not the face - but if you know what the sneck I'm going on about you knew what I meant anyway... so why am I even bothering to type this?).

Tristam Green
May 17th, 2010, 08:40 PM
But this thread has been mostly about FaceBook; that's why I spoke most about that particular attack vector. And there's another point: a lot of tech-unsavvy people use FaceBook. I'll wager there are plenty of folk who fire up the old web browser only to access FaceBook. You lost me here. Such people, I'm afraid, will tend to know less about security than you or me. That's why it's important for us to keep repeating this stuff, even if it's as obvious (to you and me) as the nose on Citizen Snork's face before Judge Dredd shot it off (the nose, not the face - but if you know what the sneck I'm going on about you knew what I meant anyway... so why am I even bothering to type this?).

See annotations.

Guitar John
May 17th, 2010, 08:45 PM
Never went there in the first place.

nothingspecial
May 17th, 2010, 09:20 PM
I am only on facebook so my wife can be married to me on the internet.

What follows is a half remembered, half made up ridiculous conversation.

Mrs Special - "Will you get a facebook account please?"

NS - "Why?"

Mrs S - "So I can be married to you on facebook"

NS - "But we are married"

Mrs S - "Not on facebook"

NS - "huh?"

Mrs S - "There`s this thing where I can put on my page who I`m married too. But it doesn`t work unless you are on it too."

NS -"OK"

So I got a facebook account and every so often accepted a friend request and, in the years that I have had it, have actively used it about 3 times.

And I get emails to my "point everything I don`t want to read emails from to" account regularly.

And a few weeks ago I checked the account and, not for the first time, someone had tagged me in a photo.....and I did not want that photo to be on the internet with my name attached to it.

So I had a good look at all the other photos that I was tagged in, and got incredibly angry. I sent a comment to each one saying words to the effect of "Don`t put pictures of me on the internet without asking, please remove it"

The actual message contained much swearing and vitriol.

Then, for the first time in the time that I had had the account, I updated my status, to

"nothingspecial wonders why people post boring stuff about themselves on the internet. I wasn`t your friend before you requested it and I don`t want to be any longer. I don`t give a monkeys about what happened to your kid I never met or if your cat has died"

or words to that effect with alot more profanity and offensive stuff.

The thing is, most of those photos have gone. And I now only have personal friends. I don`t think the facebook ones like me that much. Which is fine. I`m kind of back where I started.

The wife wasn`t happy though :P

Yes
May 17th, 2010, 09:55 PM
Why would you have friended people that you weren't at least friendly with outside of Facebook in the firstplace?

Also you can be tagged in a photo regardless of whether or not you have a Facebook account. At least if you do have an account it's easier to find the pictures and ask that they be removed, if you really care.

nothingspecial
May 17th, 2010, 10:11 PM
People I have known in previous jobs ( a while ago)

People I knew at university (a long time ago)

People I knew at school (ages ago)

That`s sort of my point. I don`t know them now and even if they are my friend on facebook, I still don`t know them.

If we wanted to know each other we would, but not just on the internet.

Dkkline
May 17th, 2010, 10:41 PM
I've never started on it, never going to, especially not after the privacy thing!

BigCityCat
May 17th, 2010, 10:47 PM
Just did about two hours ago. All it's designed to do is make you click happy.

BoneKracker
May 18th, 2010, 07:23 AM
I don't think all the above-average people leaving will really hurt Facebook much anyway.
There are plenty of lemmings who haven't joined yet, and there's a new batch of naive adolescents every year.
It will just turn into another MySpace (except bigger and evil).

Cavsfan
May 18th, 2010, 09:37 PM

I stay off line perpetually. Early on, someone popped up in chat and scared the crap out of me! So, I am off line and I do not chat.

I don't put any personal information on Facebook, and dolln't believe I have anything to hide on there.

Also, I'd rather stay on there and see whats being posted about me, than not. I don't think removing yourself from Facebook eradicates privacy concerns, but staying on there does allow you to keep an eye on it.

And there are some people I am in touch with again thanks to Facebook... which is good.

I agree! I have been careful since day one with my privacy settings.
I now have taken my address, email, year of birth, and even sex off of there.
When I preview my profile in Privacy settings, I see nothing but my name.
You cannot even see my profile picture if you are not a friend. Besides that, it is of
an 18 month old boy if you could see it.

So, you could gain access to all of my stuff and still have nothing...
Good luck doing that, but if you could you'd have nothing on me.
And like squilookle, I would rather stay on and see what happens next.

I am still very curious as to what happens next with the privacy..

You do know that everyone at BookFace will be mega-billionaires as soon as they IPO.
I would imagine they are just trying to hold down their "give a crap" that long and then
maybe they will bolt like a wild mustang and let someone else worry about it.
It has happened before...

Cavsfan
May 18th, 2010, 09:46 PM
You can remove yourself (tags) from photos yourself. They show up in your Photos section.

likemindead
May 18th, 2010, 09:49 PM
I want to quit, but's it's just too powerful a tool for keeping in touch with people I otherwise couldn't.

walkerchuckwalker
May 18th, 2010, 09:51 PM
This is the Ubuntu forums right???

I dont have any personal info anyways.

GodofAnotherWorld
May 18th, 2010, 09:55 PM
I don't use Facebook anymore because it's pointless.

Cavsfan
May 18th, 2010, 10:01 PM
I want to quit, but's it's just too powerful a tool for keeping in touch with people I otherwise couldn't.

I agree, except I really don't want to quit. I have been able to catch up with and keep in contact with people
I thought I'd never talk to or hear from again. I am happy with my privacy settings.

This just in (a worthy read): Exclusive: Facebook privacy rules to change (http://www.stumbleupon.com/su/1RFii2/www.channel4.com/news/articles/science_technology/exclusive+facebook+privacy+rules+to+change/3652987)

Cavsfan
May 18th, 2010, 11:15 PM
This site even has a movie about this.

Exclusive: Facebook expected to announce new privacy settings within days (http://www.stumbleupon.com/su/1RFii2/www.channel4.com/news/articles/science_technology/exclusive+facebook+privacy+rules+to+change/3652987)

:guitar: FaceBook on! Those that do FaceBook! We aint Skeered...

oldsoundguy
May 18th, 2010, 11:37 PM
or you could install this and tell FB to go to he!!

http://www.untangle.com/Downloads/Download-ISO

BoneKracker
May 19th, 2010, 12:01 AM
I agree, except I really don't want to quit. I have been able to catch up with and keep in contact with people
I thought I'd never talk to or hear from again. I am happy with my privacy settings.

This just in (a worthy read): Exclusive: Facebook privacy rules to change (http://www.stumbleupon.com/su/1RFii2/www.channel4.com/news/articles/science_technology/exclusive+facebook+privacy+rules+to+change/3652987)

He has become one with the hive-mind. The Cybermen have him. :(

ubunterooster
May 19th, 2010, 01:32 AM
or you could install this and tell FB to go to he!!

http://www.untangle.com/Downloads/Download-ISO
what that got to do w/ FB?

MasterNetra
May 19th, 2010, 01:35 AM
I just use it to keep in touch with family and friends.

oldsoundguy
May 19th, 2010, 02:16 AM
what that got to do w/ FB?

It is a download for a browser plug in that will allow you to take Facebook back to the 2005 options.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13577_3-20005243-36.html

Frogs Hair
May 19th, 2010, 02:22 AM
Never used Facebook and have no family that does.

ubunterooster
May 19th, 2010, 02:23 AM
It is a download for a browser plug in that will allow you to take Facebook back to the 2005 options.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13577_3-20005243-36.html
Cool! I mess around w/ that. Thanks.

CharlesA
May 19th, 2010, 03:46 AM
Has this been mentioned yet?

http://www.reclaimprivacy.org/facebook

BoneKracker
May 19th, 2010, 03:59 AM
So what good is un-borking your privacy settings if somebody can just use some simple, freely-available, publicized-on-youtube hack to view your private stuff anyway?

Sounds like denial to me. :p

Cavsfan
May 19th, 2010, 02:30 PM
He has become one with the hive-mind. The Cybermen have him. :(

@BoneKracker FAIL!

I just use it to keep in touch with family and friends.

Ditto!

Cavsfan
May 19th, 2010, 02:36 PM
Has this been mentioned yet?

http://www.reclaimprivacy.org/facebook

Nice post!

Did anyone read my previous post (http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=9322207&postcount=184) that mentions they will be changing their privacy policies within days...

ubunterooster
May 19th, 2010, 02:38 PM
I read it; I plan to use it for the same reasons as before, viz taking info from others, not putting up mine own.

Cavsfan
May 19th, 2010, 02:43 PM
Has anyone tried to view that site that got to people's FB posts that were set to "everyone"?
It's not there anymore - openbook or at least that I can see.

BoneKracker
May 19th, 2010, 02:49 PM
@BoneKracker FAIL!
:lol:

Sorry. Didn't mean to make you get all emotional and stuff.

Denial: it's not just a river in Egypt. :p

It says here they are "undergoing internal struggles" over whether or not to reverse direction on this rapacious privacy policy change.
http://www.pcworld.com/article/196648/facebook_debates_privacy_changes_report_says_and82 32and8232.html

And there's a "mass quit day" being organized:
http://www.quitfacebookday.com/

ubunterooster
May 19th, 2010, 03:00 PM
Has anyone tried to view that site that got to people's FB posts that were set to "everyone"?
It's not there anymore - openbook or at least that I can see.
Yes, because it is immoral and obviously so to the guys who shut it down. I've helped several such sites go bye-bye but this one was gone before I could report it

Grenage
May 19th, 2010, 03:03 PM
Yes, because it is immoral and obviously so to the guys who shut it down. I've helped several such sites go bye-bye but this one was gone before I could report it

Why would it be immoral?

ubunterooster
May 19th, 2010, 03:42 PM
Why would it be immoral?
Is going through your neighbors house [when he does not know you are there or want you there had he known] and looking at his pictures sound immoral to you? Even if he did leave the door unlocked.

Grenage
May 19th, 2010, 03:46 PM
No, not if there was a sign on the door that said "open access to all".

ubunterooster
May 19th, 2010, 04:49 PM
someone else wrote "open access to all" on his door; he thinks only his friends can come in.

Grenage
May 19th, 2010, 04:56 PM
We'll have to agree to disagree on that; I don't think people need saving from themselves.

ubunterooster
May 19th, 2010, 05:16 PM
We'll have to agree to disagree on that; I don't think people need saving from themselves.
lol. most of my life is spent saving others from themselves. But I do understand your point and it is valid. But what good is a fence (regarding to discusions) without a second side?

Grenage
May 19th, 2010, 05:19 PM
That is true; it would be terribly dull if everyone agreed on things! :)

Cavsfan
May 19th, 2010, 05:24 PM
The Zuck - what an idiot! Perhaps he should give away all his privacy and leave the rest of us FBers alone.

This just in about how they are trying to handle all of the privacy complaints.

A backlash over Facebook Inc.'s privacy practices (http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704912004575252723109845974.html?m od=rss_Today%27s_Most_Popular) A worthy read for anyone that is interested.

And that site that displays FB people's profiles that aren't smart enough/don't care is right here. (http://youropenbook.org/)
These are only people who have their post settings to "everyone" like the Zuck wants.

You won't find me on there no matter what. So, I do not care. They are just trying to prove a point and
doing a rather good job at it.

And I am going to post that on my FB page and show people what happens if you are not diligent about keeping up
with FB's screwed up privacy settings and leave them set to default.

BoneKracker
May 19th, 2010, 05:25 PM

Right. That's why you have closed-circuit tv cameras on every corner in London, and your government puts cameras in the homes of people whom it believes cannot be trusted to properly supervise their children.

Grenage
May 19th, 2010, 05:27 PM
Right. That's why you have closed-circuit tv cameras on every corner in London, and your government puts cameras in the homes of people whom it believes cannot be trusted to properly supervise their children.

Yes, because I am in charge of the country. Please send all queries regarding domestic security my way.

BoneKracker
May 19th, 2010, 08:18 PM
Yes, because I am in charge of the country. Please send all queries regarding domestic security my way.
Okay, good answer. Withdrawn.

I agree people do not need saving from themselves. But that doesn't stop the nausea that comes from seeing a horde of supercilious, group-thinking rodent-people traipsing along in the wake of the Pied Piper of their own choosing.

Grenage
May 19th, 2010, 08:54 PM
Yup, but by interfering we lose freedom; we have to grin and bear it, but educate where possible.

Our road is but one of many. :)

oldsoundguy
May 19th, 2010, 09:19 PM
Apparently, Facebook has heard the screams and the outrage and is going to "do something" about it ... what that may be, is total conjecture at this point!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/10125260.stm

BUT, they still insist that their way seems to be acceptable. (read that thing all the way to the bottom and you will see what I mean!)

aysiu
May 19th, 2010, 09:47 PM
The fact that approximately half have accepted, and half are customising shows that our recommendations are reasonable Or it shows half don't understand the implications of your recommendations.

oldsoundguy
May 19th, 2010, 10:00 PM
Or it shows half don't understand the implications of your recommendations.

That is the way I read it, also! Glad to see I am not buying silver bullets!!

No matter what third party software program comes out, they will continue to try and market their membership until they realize that all they have is old farts like me that don't give a damn about what info they have (just as long as it isn't to my bank and retirement fund) .. and use the thing to find long lost friends and associates (which I do .. being retired from the music business, I have friends world wide), OR young kids that do not know better and the pervs that prey on them OR the hookers that try and become your friend to get traffic to their porn site (which can not be removed or reported as reporting runs into a dead end)!

BoneKracker
May 20th, 2010, 01:00 PM
Apparently, Facebook has heard the screams and the outrage and is going to "do something" about it ... what that may be, is total conjecture at this point!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/10125260.stm

BUT, they still insist that their way seems to be acceptable. (read that thing all the way to the bottom and you will see what I mean!)

We, the unwashed masses don't know what's good for us and need to be told. Mark Zuckerberg is going to tell us.

Privacy? We don't need no stinkin' privacy. You'll probably have a Government-issued GPS-locating/dietary-supervision/fitness-program-enforcing/anger-management chip embedded in your *** before long anyway, so why fight it?

ukripper
May 20th, 2010, 01:04 PM
Privacy and Facebook :lolflag:. Defies the whole purpose of facebook's existence in first place.

ubunterooster
May 20th, 2010, 01:19 PM
:(
We, the unwashed masses don't know what's good for us and need to be told. Mark Zuckerberg is going to tell us.

Privacy? We don't need no stinkin' privacy. You'll probably have a Government-issued GPS-locating/dietary-supervision/fitness-program-enforcing/anger-management chip embedded in your *** before long anyway, so why fight it?
very reassuring.:shock::icon_frown:

arnab_das
May 21st, 2010, 01:50 AM
Fabook privacy issues make it to the cover of Times magazine:

http://mashable.com/2010/05/20/time-magazine-facebook-2/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+Mashable+(Mashable)

jlaki
May 21st, 2010, 02:04 AM
Too much people on that Facebook, that scared the crap out of me.

fatality_uk
May 21st, 2010, 01:51 PM
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/facebook/7748851/Facebooks-Mark-Zuckerberg-people-do-not-want-complete-privacy-online.html

Interesting quotes!

Ranko Kohime
May 27th, 2010, 07:16 PM
Right! I don't do surveys, but apparently it works.
I am curious to see what FaceBook does about this privacy thing as they are scrutinized by the US congress and others.
HAHAHA no. The CIA had it's grubby little hands in the upbringing of Facebook, so anything the U.S. Congress does will be purely for show.

Anyone remember the Microsoft anti-trust business? They said they were going to break up the Microsoft monopoly. Here over a decade later, what have we?

Cavsfan
May 27th, 2010, 07:34 PM
HAHAHA no. The CIA had it's grubby little hands in the upbringing of Facebook, so anything the U.S. Congress does will be purely for show.

Anyone remember the Microsoft anti-trust business? They said they were going to break up the Microsoft monopoly. Here over a decade later, what have we?

Simplified FB Privacy Settings announced today you can select one for the whole thing. (http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/facebooks-privacy-controls-work/story?id=10760108)
They will be rolled out shortly.

I am not concerned in the slightest as I have always had everything set to "Friends Only".

Que Sera Sera...

Ranko Kohime
May 27th, 2010, 08:35 PM
Never assume anything is private. Even e-mails can be leaked, unless you use serious levels of encryption with secured passwords. Don't send ANYTHING over the Internet in any form, by any medium that you wouldn't wish to see on the 6 O'Clock news.

Some people look at me funny when I tell them that, but it's the truth. Privacy policies be damned.

aysiu
May 27th, 2010, 08:45 PM
Never assume anything is private. Even e-mails can be leaked, unless you use serious levels of encryption with secured passwords. Even then they can be leaked. You just need the recipient to forward it to a friend... or to have her computer stolen.

CrimsonBizarre
May 27th, 2010, 09:00 PM
What would anyone ever post online of any value to anyone else anyway? Sorry if it sounds as if I'm being ignorant, but I don't really know why anything that I post online would be worth anything to anyone else.

oldsoundguy
May 27th, 2010, 10:27 PM
What would anyone ever post online of any value to anyone else anyway? Sorry if it sounds as if I'm being ignorant, but I don't really know why anything that I post online would be worth anything to anyone else.

OK, so think on this. Somewhere you have posted your home address .. and your BFF Froggie has done so also.

You post on Twitter or even FB that you and Froggie are going to go to a concert out of town (say 100 miles away as the crow flies). That means you and Froggie are NOT GOING TO BE HOME.
Someone has your addy cross referenced and when you get back, that someone has been there and both of your places are totally empty.

Don't laugh .. it is happening right NOW.

Ranko Kohime
May 28th, 2010, 12:53 AM
Simplified FB Privacy Settings announced today you can select one for the whole thing. (http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/facebooks-privacy-controls-work/story?id=10760108)
They will be rolled out shortly.

I am not concerned in the slightest as I have always had everything set to "Friends Only".

Que Sera Sera...
Yeah, that works great, right... :rolleyes:

Ranko Kohime
May 28th, 2010, 01:01 AM
Even then they can be leaked. You just need the recipient to forward it to a friend... or to have her computer stolen.
I said SECURED passwords. "Fluffy", contrary to popular belief, is NOT a safe password. :)

When you start typing miniature dissertations as your password, especially in something like PGP or GPG, you can be fairly certain that Grandma's cookie recipe will remain a secret even if your girlfriend's laptop is stolen. And it's a relatively safe assumption that if she can install PGP or GPG, AND pick a good password, that she has at least a passing familiarity with basic security principles. :)

I'm half-tempted to put my master password file up on http where everyone can download it, just to see if anyone can brute-force either my encryption password or keys. :P

aysiu
May 28th, 2010, 02:28 AM
I said SECURED passwords. "Fluffy", contrary to popular belief, is NOT a safe password. :) And I'm talking about the recipient.

It doesn't matter how secure your password is on your email account or how much encryption you put on it when sending it. Once its sent, the protection of the contents of that message is now in the hands of the recipient.

If you send it to her, and she then forwards it on to 20 other people, your message is now semi-public. Or she can post its contents to a blog, and then it's there for the world to see.

BoneKracker
May 28th, 2010, 02:54 AM
When you start typing miniature dissertations as your password, especially in something like PGP or GPG, you can be fairly certain that Grandma's cookie recipe will remain a secret even if your girlfriend's laptop is stolen.

True, but with caveats. Each word is roughly the equivalent of a single character for brute-forcing purposes (regardless of language, and regardless of whether you think you have obfuscated it in "leet-speak"). So if you think are clever by having something like "@w3s0m3n3ss91" as your password (obfuscated "awesomeness91"), you aren't. Once readily-available dictionary tables are run, you basically have a three-character password. The time required to run such tables has decreased so rapidly, and the processing power become so widely available, that it has become unsafe to use word-based passwords (except in pass-phrases involving long strings of words).

It is best to avoid the use of words in any form and ensure all your authentication mechanisms include brute-force deterrents (e.g., delays between authentication attempts; break after n failed attempts, etc.).

And since "grandma" is using her computer for credit card purchases, online banking, etc., the secret cookie recipe may not be the attraction.

AcidMoon
May 28th, 2010, 03:03 AM
I quit quite a while ago over privacy concerns. Nowadays I cringe when I hear people saying "Did you send me another friend request, I thought I already had you added..."
You just know their friends account has been cloned! Yuck. :icon_frown:

mikewhatever
May 28th, 2010, 04:59 AM
Quit FB when is asked for my phone number.

kevdog
May 28th, 2010, 06:20 AM
FACEBOOK??? What's that?? :)

madnessjack
May 28th, 2010, 09:22 AM
Quit FB when is asked for my phone number.
It doesn't need your phone number. It doesn't have mine.

Does anyone REALLY care about this? I mean REALLY TRULY care?

Facebook is a social network. If you don't want it harvesting your data, don't use it. IT'S CALLED CHOICE!!!

fatality_uk
May 28th, 2010, 10:43 AM

Facebook is a social network. If you don't want it harvesting your data, don't use it. IT'S CALLED CHOICE!!!

Problem is Jack, FaceBook keep changing the goal posts. Most people I know who have signed up, understood what data they wanted to share and agreed to that. The FB changed the T&C's and surreptitiously, imo, made these changes so that they control more of your data.

lesterness
May 28th, 2010, 11:56 AM

When I think of the issues facing me or the world, FACEBOOK is not in the top 10. I doubt it'd be in the top 100.

mikewhatever
May 28th, 2010, 12:57 PM

It is choice and so I chose to quit. Got a problem?

EarlGrey167
May 28th, 2010, 01:02 PM
I voted other. I'm on FaceBook until I convince all my friends and family to use Twitter! :P

m4tic
May 28th, 2010, 01:19 PM
I'm never quitting facebook. There are over 400Million users on it. Why would i be their target. features are an option, no one forces me to disclose my addresses, i choose my fate.

fatality_uk
May 28th, 2010, 01:34 PM
I'm never quitting facebook. There are over 400Million users on it. Why would i be their target. features are an option, no one forces me to disclose my addresses, i choose my fate.

You wont be "their" target, but your details be be useful to advertisers and valuable to FaceBook.

madnessjack
May 28th, 2010, 03:36 PM
Problem is Jack, FaceBook keep changing the goal posts. Most people I know who have signed up, understood what data they wanted to share and agreed to that. The FB changed the T&C's and surreptitiously, imo, made these changes so that they control more of your data.
I've got about 200 connections on Facebook. I'm would put hundreds of pounds on none of them having read the Ts&Cs.

I personally think we're underestimating people. Folks must know it's the Internet, and every time you submit data to it you've lost control of that information.

It is choice and so I chose to quit. Got a problem?
Yeah, I heard the first time! :P

Cavsfan
May 28th, 2010, 03:45 PM
Yeah, that works great, right... :rolleyes:

Works for me. And judging by the vote numbers, it works for the majority of the small amount of people subscribed to this thread.

I know what I am sharing on FaceBook and I am content with that. I do agree that the Zuck is an idiot for doing what
he wanted to do with the privacy settings in the first place. But, it's all going to iron itself out in the long run.

And even that only concerned people who did/do not pay much attention to their privacy settings. The only people that are visible on
that openbook website all have their wall set to "everyone". Either they don't give a damn or they don't know any better...

Privacy is like jealousy; you can carry it so far that it turns into a sickness. Go ahead and become Howard Hughes if you want!
You have to pay attention, but you don't have to get all paranoid that "they are coming to take me away!" Geez!

When I think of the issues facing me or the world, FACEBOOK is not in the top 10. I doubt it'd be in the top 100.

I totally agree... :rolleyes:

fatality_uk
May 28th, 2010, 03:45 PM
I've got about 200 connections on Facebook. I'm would put hundreds of pounds on none of them having read the Ts&Cs.

:roll:

arnab_das
May 28th, 2010, 05:25 PM
anyone finding the new privacy settings (it has been changed) useful? looks like the same crap stuff to me.

oldsoundguy
May 28th, 2010, 05:43 PM
you still have to OPT OUT vs OPT IN. Language is too convoluted for the average "I bought this laptop at Best Buy and only use it to go on line" user. BUT, the options are there now!
PERSONALLY,not quite what I wanted to see, but that message is being echoed by many a user and SOME governments .. there WILL be more changes as that snot nosed kid that runs Facebook looses his attitude and realizes he owns a BUSINESS .. not a personal toy, and that a business exists in a marketplace that has certain rules of conduct.

Cavsfan
May 28th, 2010, 06:04 PM
anyone finding the new privacy settings (it has been changed) useful? looks like the same crap stuff to me.

My privacy settings have not changed yet. Maybe they are rolling them out a little at a time.
400,000,000 users would be hard to hit all at the same time.

you still have to OPT OUT vs OPT IN. Language is too convoluted for the average "I bought this laptop at Best Buy and only use it to go on line" user. BUT, the options are there now!
PERSONALLY,not quite what I wanted to see, but that message is being echoed by many a user and SOME governments .. there WILL be more changes as that snot nosed kid that runs Facebook looses his attitude and realizes he owns a BUSINESS .. not a personal toy, and that a business exists in a marketplace that has certain rules of conduct.

I agree with a lot of what you are saying, but cannot comment on the changes as I don't see them yet.
But, then again, my privacy settings have from day one been set to "friends only" and as soon as I
noticed the Instant Personalization Pilot Program I opted out.

Still curious about the changes, but if they do not satisfy the worlds privacy concerns, they will complain quite a bit louder this time.

I do definitely agree with the snot nosed kid part though. :grin:

aysiu
May 28th, 2010, 06:32 PM
The "simplified" settings are actually more confusing than the original advanced settings.

The real problem isn't that the settings were too complicated (though there should always be simple settings by default with the option to tweak the details for more advanced users).

The real problem is the opt-out v. opt-in approach.

oldsoundguy
May 28th, 2010, 07:24 PM
The kid is working on the same principle of many a piece of free software (for Windows) in tying in things like tool bars, default search engines and the like to the install, where the end user has to UNCHECK the option. Problem is .. there is no damn check list and you have to figure out what the hell is it that is being said!

The K.I.S.S. principle has escaped the yo-yo.

mikewhatever
May 29th, 2010, 12:32 AM
Yeah, I heard the first time! :P

Good. Glad I clarified it for you.

BoneKracker
May 29th, 2010, 05:06 AM
++
But I see that as just a symptom. The real problem is that, in doing this, they have revealed their vision -- and it's not one in which privacy is central. What's his face there, the boy wonder, has been yammering about the future of the web being a "social default" or such. In other words, his ideal is an "opt out" world in which information (your information) is shared freely by default.

As a general principle, transparency or openness are good things, but not in this context. Those are golden words in the context of corporate or government information, but this is a different domain -- one of personal information.

In legal terms, they allowed people to develop what is referred to as a "reasonable expectation of privacy", and then they violated it. This could actually be construed as a crime of great proportions. It's like giving people "one-way" windows that are opaque from the outside unless you reprogram them, and then one day, without warning, throwing a big switch that makes them all transparent.

Regardless of whether they have backed down in this instance to put a finger in the dike and halt a mass exodus of users, I have no doubt that this vision remains. People don't just change their core values overnight.