PDA

View Full Version : Ribbon Hero-like game for Ubuntu? "Ubuntu Hero"

earthpigg
May 9th, 2010, 09:02 PM
for those unaware, this is a brief overview of how what Ribbon Hero for MS Office is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSTZbtlKiiU

Do you think this would be a good thing for Ubuntu? perhaps even tied into things like UbuntuForums or Facebook?

i'm picturing the Ubuntu Hero game being able to update your avatar in UF, and put stuff in facebook. you can add it as a little panel applet to gnome, and if you choose to, you can let it access fbook and uf. let it sync with 10.04's little "Broadcast accounts" thing, too, to post as frequently or infrequently as you like (one post a week, one post every 100 points, etc)

you would also be able to see the scores and stuff of other users on that computer. using ubuntu one, you could link your account across multiple computers (again, if you choose to). if you don't want any of that stuff, you can simply compete with yourself and get points.

I really don't like all those games that spam facebook, and I block them... but my mother happens to loves that stuff, and so do a lot of people (or FarmVille and Mafia Wars would not be popular) - particularly people that don't tend to enjoy learning things by exploring, as i do and as i suspect many of here us do.

example challenges:

"Add a panel applet"
"Create a new user account"
"Install a package"
"Remove something from the Applications menu"
"Enable the Ubuntu Parter repositories"
"Install a firefox addon"
"Uninstall a package"

moving on a bit...

"Restore the default settings of a program" (useful to know how to delete dotfiles to restore default settings after borking something beyond all belief... anyone seen those "help! i broke my gnome panels!" threads?)

and eventually, for a zillion points in the end-game:

"Compile software yourself"

All with fun-filled, casual, positive re-enforcement.

All of these tasks could be covered in a 100 page .pdf manual for Ubuntu. but... who reads manuals? nerds. like me, and some/most of you.

Target Audience here is the avid social network game player, the avid twitter-er, and Ubuntu PR for the people that read/follow twitter. This is a few hundred million human souls.

what'cha think?

(incidentally, this would also be a very good excuse to bring back the login drum sounds from the early releases of Ubuntu!)

Aflack
May 9th, 2010, 09:19 PM
Um. This sounds really dumb, but that's just me.

Random_Dude
May 9th, 2010, 10:00 PM
"WOOOW MORE BALLONS!!!"

Someone in Microsoft is on acid...