PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Lost access to shared folders on XP

Scunnered
May 9th, 2010, 03:01 PM
Prior to upgrading from Karmic to Lucid I could access shared folders on my partners XP system. Now when I attempt to connect to the shared folder I am unable to see the folders.

When I display the network I can see MSHOME but thereafter end up with the following :

"Unable to mount location
Failed to retrieve share list from server"

Can anyone offer guidance?

Strangely enough I am able to connect to another Lucid system easily enough from my laptop.

In each instance both my Lucid systems and the XP one are connected via wireless and as far as I can see the setup on the XP system is networked OK.

Scunnered
May 12th, 2010, 08:34 AM
Bump

JoeEndUser
May 12th, 2010, 09:15 PM
Can you connect via Places - Connect to Server - Windows Share? You should not need any more information than the ip address of the machine you are connecting to.

xtremedementor
May 12th, 2010, 09:33 PM
I have just realised that i have the same issue.

I have 3 machines
1 Ubuntu 10.04 desktop
2 Ubuntu NBR 10.04
3 Windows 7 Home Premium.

My win 7 can see all the share on machines 1 & 2.
1 & 2 can access shares if i use Go - IP Address

However if i go to Network / Windows Network / Workgroup i get the error message "Unable to mount location Failed to retrieve share list from server"

I cant remember this being a problem in 9.1 with the same setup.

Any help is greatly appreciated as i am trying to convince the rest of the household to drop win 7 for Ubuntu.

Thanks

Scunnered
May 13th, 2010, 07:59 AM
JoeEndUser

Thanks vm for the suggestion however the result is still the same.

xtremedementor
May 13th, 2010, 07:04 PM
I connected at work today on a mixed network Macs and Win and the
Network / Windows Network / Workgroup worked fine.

Apple AFP shares showed up under network even though i can not connect to AFP and the win shares (Both MS and Mac) showed under Network / Windows Network / Workgroup and i could connect no problem.

Meanwhile back at home Ubuntu to ubuntu samba shares are still a no show in Network / Windows Network / Workgroup

but my Win 7 can see and connect to both ubuntu boxes.

I have doublr checked that i am set to "WORKGROUP" for the smb workgroup.

At this point i am stuck :confused:

JoeEndUser
May 13th, 2010, 11:57 PM
I got my lucid machine talking to Windows and others with Dmizer's guide http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1169149&highlight=failed+retrieve

Specifically problem 3.

I rebooted my modem, router and all machines just for good measure, I don't know if that is necessary though.

It did take 5 or 10 minutes to catch once my machine was rebooted.