PDA

View Full Version : i am angry calm me down

shababhsiddique
May 9th, 2010, 02:19 PM
errrrrr....errrrrrrrrrr.....

OK i am speaking it with clear mind... ="I just cant see UBUNTU my love fall apart in front of my eyes....!"

what is happening man...i just cannot take it anymore..OK i am a ubuntu lover and user used since 6.06 dapper.. i was just a small boy and when i first saw it it felt like something.. i was still with windows...
then when i was at college intrepid came and made get used to it.. by time of 9.04 i was 60% linux. 40 %windws.. then after jaunty 90% was just a peace of cake.... all on here...

was lookin for karmic.. ALAS!!! it made me cry.... so much bugs... i reconstructed jaunty to fill my needs and stick to it...I was expecting Lucid to be the tonic.. but what do i see after eager waiting to download 700MB with my 128kbps speed ? guess what ..............a system as slow as a snail......

WHAT THE HELL IS HAPPENING??????WHY IS UBUNTU BECOMING MORE AND MORE LIKE WINDOWS DAY BY DAY????? I WANT MY FAST AND USUAL UBUNTU BACK AND I WANT IT..

have converted more than 50 wincrappers to use ubuntu. now i think i am humiliated...

plz someone tell me some good words... ...the CD i ordered didnt came yet so just downloaded the UNE for curiosity.. now i am confused and worried..

is the system slow for it is UNE not Ubuntu desktop edition? is it very very far away from original? would i be able to see a smooth lucid in the DESKTOP EDITION???

plz plz tell me that UNEs are slow sometimes...... and anything to cheer me up

blchinezu
May 9th, 2010, 02:23 PM
hey man... :)) seriously now... if you don't like it don't use it.. it's not like you paid for it or something

Diluted
May 9th, 2010, 02:24 PM
Wait till the bugs are sorted out?

Or, start investigating what is causing the slowdown?

Edit: Oh and, check the release notes to see if there's anything applicable to your computer.

Random_Dude
May 9th, 2010, 02:32 PM
Take a deep breath...

Why is it so slow? It's much faster than windows, at least on my PC and on all of the PCs that I've installed it on.

If your PC is old, it's only natural. But you can always change Ubuntu to make it run faster, or change distro.

Cheers :cool:

shababhsiddique
May 9th, 2010, 02:56 PM
thanks guys...

its not making me angry becz i paid.. i didnt.. and i love it for that.. i am angry because it is not doing well the last year.. since 9.04 i couldnt see any advancements.. just graphical eyecandies... a little though. but the system is becoming really unstable.. atleast it felt to me like that... and i am angry becz i love ubuntu and would not be able to tolerate its fall..

the release notes says as always.---'its faster its fater its smarter and bluh bluh bluh... like what microsoft says about new windws releases..' it is not working with me...

i dont know what random_dude meant by a old PC i tried in my brand new laptop HP compaq CQ510
dualcore 2GB ram... does it require more?

can anyone give me a solution - i want to stick with ubuntu.. i loved it because of the community, the cafe, the forum guys, you. and ofcourse ubuntu simplicity and fast working and ofcourse it is free.....i am a student of CSE and doing a lot of programming i would stick to linux the whole life but cannot tell ubuntu would be the last...

maybe it is time for me to switch from here...tell me if i am wrong... i am not just feeling well.

CharlesA
May 9th, 2010, 02:58 PM
They tweaked some of the guts too. Removing HAL from booting among other things.

Diluted
May 9th, 2010, 03:00 PM
Are you sure you are looking at the release notes (http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/releasenotes/1004)?

ajgreeny
May 9th, 2010, 03:24 PM
The changes since jaunty 9.04 have been less than useful for many a machine running older ATI graphics cards, as far as I can make out. I have an ATI 9200SE card in my machine and it was almost a disaster when I tried Karmic (9.10) as it did not give a desktop, just a black space, though with the panels showing. A quick search soon told me to either switch of compiz (enabled by default to "normal" level) or use a lower than 1024x768 resolution, neither of which I wanted to do.

Further searching led me to find that at 16 bit colour, I could still use compiz at a high resolution, which is what I now do. I defy anybody to honestly be able to see a difference between 16 and 24 bit colour, though no doubt on some really high spec machines it may just about show.

Lucid at least gave me a proper desktop at high resolution with compiz running, but refresh rates were slow at 24 bit colour, so again I tried at 16 bit colour and; magic. It works brilliantly, on a desktop, at least. On my old laptop it overheats rather too much to make it usable at the moment, but I am expecting this will be sorted at some time with updates. Certainly I have found Lucid to be very fast, even on my wife's netbook (Novatech X10), where everything worked out of the box with no tweaking needed.

The moral of this post is really to say that you must be unlucky with your hardware, about which you have said nothing, and on a different machine, including some of your friends to whom you introduced ubuntu, lucid may well be working extremely well.

shababhsiddique
May 9th, 2010, 04:21 PM
The changes since jaunty 9.04 have been less than useful for many a machine running older ATI graphics cards, as far as I can make out. I have an ATI 9200SE card in my machine and it was almost a disaster when I tried Karmic (9.10) as it did not give a desktop, just a black space, though with the panels showing. A quick search soon told me to either switch of compiz (enabled by default to "normal" level) or use a lower than 1024x768 resolution, neither of which I wanted to do.

Further searching led me to find that at 16 bit colour, I could still use compiz at a high resolution, which is what I now do. I defy anybody to honestly be able to see a difference between 16 and 24 bit colour, though no doubt on some really high spec machines it may just about show.

Lucid at least gave me a proper desktop at high resolution with compiz running, but refresh rates were slow at 24 bit colour, so again I tried at 16 bit colour and; magic. It works brilliantly, on a desktop, at least. On my old laptop it overheats rather too much to make it usable at the moment, but I am expecting this will be sorted at some time with updates. Certainly I have found Lucid to be very fast, even on my wife's netbook (Novatech X10), where everything worked out of the box with no tweaking needed.

The moral of this post is really to say that you must be unlucky with your hardware, about which you have said nothing, and on a different machine, including some of your friends to whom you introduced ubuntu, lucid may well be working extremely well.

may be you are right... i am back in good mode having Jaunty in my laptop . . its working smooth... and yes i do not get what is wrong with my laptop. i have heard that HP is best suited with ubuntu and thats what made me buy it. it really suited as i can hear sound play game and even the webcam works flawlessly.

my specs are- 2GB RAM built in graphics card
2.0GHz xCore2Duo Intel processor

requirements are 256RAM so thats not the problem.. bad luck to me

I agree with your first sentence ="The changes since jaunty 9.04 have been less than useful" but not only in old machines.. all the ones i installed (they are quite better than mine)...served equally or less as Jaunty did. . . . i do not think most of the Ubuntu or opensource users have luxury of expensive DesktopPCs. so that should be taken seriously.

shababhsiddique
May 9th, 2010, 04:28 PM
Take a deep breath...

Why is it so slow? It's much faster than windows, at least on my PC and on all of the PCs that I've installed it on.

If your PC is old, it's only natural. But you can always change Ubuntu to make it run faster, or change distro.

jaunty is faster.. intrepid is faster but not lucid.. its not fast in my laptop, not in my desk, not in my lab...

madjr
May 9th, 2010, 04:31 PM
for me (an ati user), lucid is the fastest, at least twice as fast as jaunty :)

luving it

UNR has normal gnome you can log into that

if your computer is so slow why not install Lubuntu?

Matthewthegreat
May 9th, 2010, 05:05 PM
I'm sorry to hear lucid didn't work for you. In my experience lucid was very very slow when using the live cd but once installed it's without a doubt the fastest ubuntu I've used.

I have been really happy with lucid but if I had your experience with it I would be changing distros. I would probably go to arch or Debian.

I also wouldn't worry about your friend you converted, they may not have any problems at all and if they do have problems show them a different distro. Thats the great thing about linux, you have choices!

Jay Car
May 9th, 2010, 05:11 PM
This post seems to be the equivalent to a child's "I want what I want or I'll hold my breath till I turn blue, and when I'm dead, you'll be sorry you didn't give me what I wanted!"

It made me chuckle.

However, the reason I decided to post a reply is that your rant actually addressed a few of my own issues with Lucid. So I recognize the level of your frustration. It's just that I'd rather figure problems out than rant about 'em.

Just different styles, I guess. My stubborn-old-lady pride simply won't allow a bit of software to get the best of me. I'm not very smart, so patience and dogged-determination have to get me through.

My Lucid system booted quite fast during Beta. I was impressed. But since the release it's snail-in-molasses slow. I don't know why, YET, but I'm sure I'll either find a solution, or an update will cure it soon. Doesn't matter, really. I used Windows for so many years I got used to slow boot times...Lucid's "slow" doesn't come close to those old Windows days.

I also worried that friends whose computers now run Ubuntu (because I helped and encouraged those installations) would be having problems with Lucid. So far, only 3 have called me. One was a little annoyed at the windows button change (it was an easy fix), and the other two were merely questions of whether they should upgrade yet. I told them both to wait a few weeks till I get more familiar with it myself.

Also got an email from one of my more adventurous friends saying that she had done a clean install, by herself (her first system install, ever!), and wanted to tell me about it. She was feeling very proud, and loved that she could do it. Her enthusiasm was fun to see.

So, I've stopped worrying about friends and family having problems with Lucid. I've trained them well, so they'll be fine.

The only reasons I'm not yet using Lucid on my good work machine are that, so far, I haven't been able to get virtualbox to work on it. It's always been an easy setup before, so that's been a little frustrating, but not a show-stopper. Plus, future updates should smooth the problems out, eventually. If not, I'll ask for help on the forums.

Oh...and the redglass cursor arrow doesn't work in Lucid. It's apparently a bug that's low on the bug-report, priority list. They feel it's merely cosmetic, but to me it's very important. That red cursor is easy to see with my elderly eyes. I didn't realise how much I depended on it until it didn't work in Lucid. I hope those nice bug-fixers will be able to fix it soon, but in the meantime I'm happy with my fast and pretty Karmic system (with the lovely, easy-to-see, slightly over-sized, redglass pointer to match my pointy little head).

And, speaking of "points", I should point out the point of this comment...which would be: Rather than getting mad when things don't work as expected, find solutions, be a problem solver, learn patience, and don't lay the burden of your anger and frustration on other people's shoulders. The only person you should rely on to calm you down is you.

Patience and problem-solving skills add value, ranting just adds noise.

And recognising that this comment also qualifies as a rant (of sorts), thus adding more noise (sorry), I should stop now...have to go take my blood pressure meds anyway. :)

sdowney717
May 9th, 2010, 05:13 PM
Lucid is working fine for me. I use Nvidia driver, what video card do you have?
If ATI, then it is not so good I think. Especially older ATI cards.
I also upgraded the PC in the past year as the hardware was falling behind due to software becoming bloatware, which it always does.

NightwishFan
May 9th, 2010, 05:24 PM
The netbook edition interface can feel sluggish as the launcher needs cpu to draw if you do not have a good gpu. Generally it is fine for me though even on my integrated intel. The netbook edition is not 'faster' just optimized for small screens. It should be around the same as Gnome.

At the login screen, at the bottom on sessions choose 'Gnome' or '2d Netbook'.

'Faster' is a relative term. (Especially with computers) I think the new kernels used in Ubuntu 10.04 are overall faster. Perhaps find what is bottlenecking your system. Not enough ram? I noticed programs seem to be starting slower, perhaps a ext4 issue? Back-up, reinstall and try jfs, xfs, or ext3. Put all of your data in a second /home partitions so reinstalling is a snap.

unplugged23
May 9th, 2010, 05:46 PM
Install arch linux. You can set it up with the gnome DE and give it a very ubuntu feel. Arch is very stable, is VERY up to date. I've been using arch for a little while now, but just came back to give 10.04 a try :)

Sef
May 9th, 2010, 05:54 PM
1) No one can calm you down except you.

2) Some people will always have a problem with the newest versions, and that is frustrating when it happens to you.

Rubi1200
May 9th, 2010, 05:56 PM
This post seems to be the equivalent to a child's "I want what I want or I'll hold my breath till I turn blue, and when I'm dead, you'll be sorry you didn't give me what I wanted!"

It made me chuckle.

However, the reason I decided to post a reply is that your rant actually addressed a few of my own issues with Lucid. So I recognize the level of your frustration. It's just that I'd rather figure problems out than rant about 'em.

Just different styles, I guess. My stubborn-old-lady pride simply won't allow a bit of software to get the best of me. I'm not very smart, so patience and dogged-determination have to get me through.

My Lucid system booted quite fast during Beta. I was impressed. But since the release it's snail-in-molasses slow. I don't know why, YET, but I'm sure I'll either find a solution, or an update will cure it soon. Doesn't matter, really. I used Windows for so many years I got used to slow boot times...Lucid's "slow" doesn't come close to those old Windows days.

I also worried that friends whose computers now run Ubuntu (because I helped and encouraged those installations) would be having problems with Lucid. So far, only 3 have called me. One was a little annoyed at the windows button change (it was an easy fix), and the other two were merely questions of whether they should upgrade yet. I told them both to wait a few weeks till I get more familiar with it myself.

Also got an email from one of my more adventurous friends saying that she had done a clean install, by herself (her first system install, ever!), and wanted to tell me about it. She was feeling very proud, and loved that she could do it. Her enthusiasm was fun to see.

So, I've stopped worrying about friends and family having problems with Lucid. I've trained them well, so they'll be fine.

The only reasons I'm not yet using Lucid on my good work machine are that, so far, I haven't been able to get virtualbox to work on it. It's always been an easy setup before, so that's been a little frustrating, but not a show-stopper. Plus, future updates should smooth the problems out, eventually. If not, I'll ask for help on the forums.

Oh...and the redglass cursor arrow doesn't work in Lucid. It's apparently a bug that's low on the bug-report, priority list. They feel it's merely cosmetic, but to me it's very important. That red cursor is easy to see with my elderly eyes. I didn't realise how much I depended on it until it didn't work in Lucid. I hope those nice bug-fixers will be able to fix it soon, but in the meantime I'm happy with my fast and pretty Karmic system (with the lovely, easy-to-see, slightly over-sized, redglass pointer to match my pointy little head).

And, speaking of "points", I should point out the point of this comment...which would be: Rather than getting mad when things don't work as expected, find solutions, be a problem solver, learn patience, and don't lay the burden of your anger and frustration on other people's shoulders. The only person you should rely on to calm you down is you.

And recognising that this comment also qualifies as a rant (of sorts), thus adding more noise (sorry), I should stop now...have to go take my blood pressure meds anyway. :)

Hear, hear!! I wish more people on this forum would take this approach and display such a mature attitude.

I, too, had problems with Lucid, but after hours of asking questions, looking for solutions, I finally managed to resolve some of the issues.

Complaining, ranting, and so on do not get us anywhere; helping each other find creative solutions does.

Phrea
May 9th, 2010, 05:59 PM
I'll sing for you to try and calm you down a bit.

Bobby McFerrin - Don't Worry, Be Happy

Here is a little song I wrote
You might want to sing it note for note
Don't worry be happy
In every life we have some trouble
When you worry you make it double
Don't worry, be happy......

Ain't got no place to lay your head
Somebody came and took your bed
Don't worry, be happy
The land lord say your rent is late
He may have to litigate
Don't worry, be happy
Lood at me I am happy
Don't worry, be happy
Here I give you my phone number
When you worry call me
I make you happy
Don't worry, be happy
Ain't got no cash, ain't got no style
Ain't got not girl to make you smile
But don't worry be happy
Cause when you worry
Your face will frown
And that will bring everybody down
So don't worry, be happy (now).....

There is this little song I wrote
I hope you learn it note for note
Like good little children
Don't worry, be happy
Listen to what I say
In your life expect some trouble
But when you worry
You make it double
Don't worry, be happy......
Don't worry don't do it, be happy
Put a smile on your face
Don't bring everybody down like this
Don't worry, it will soon past
Whatever it is
Don't worry, be happy

chriswyatt
May 9th, 2010, 06:15 PM

It made me chuckle.

Agreed. Made me chuckle as well. I was thinking the same but couldn't think how to put it into words.

I've always had at least minor quarrels with each Ubuntu release, and sometimes major ones here and there, but I've stuck with it. I dunno but it seems there are more of these rants about Ubuntu not living up to expectations lately, I'm personally finding it much less of a headache from when I first started using Ubuntu, which was Ubuntu Edgy. Each release generally has been less of a pain, with a few small backward steps / regressions here and there but generally it's improved bit by bit, and it's been nice following it.

To be honest I've never really expected anything from Ubuntu because it's free, if they messed things up I would just be fickle and jump ship. (In other words I'm a Linux-hoar ;P)

I'm a happy Lucid user at the moment, it's not been perfect, odd crashes and bugs here and there but I'm happy with it.

Random_Dude
May 9th, 2010, 06:32 PM
jaunty is faster.. intrepid is faster but not lucid.. its not fast in my laptop, not in my desk, not in my lab...

I jumped from Hardy Heron to Karmic Koala so I wouldn't know about those...
Still, I don't have any stability or speed problems with Karmic. I've only tried Lucid on other people's PC in which I've install it on, so I don't have much time spent with Lucid to make a comparison.

salmanal
May 9th, 2010, 06:51 PM
I'm frustrated too with the bugs as well in Lucid, but I'm still an Ubuntu fan.
I did a live update from Karmic, which was faster. My video is an
integrated nVidia. I'll be patient with the fixes for the bugs.
Sure, there are other distros to try; but of all the ones I tried,
I still liked Ubuntu the most. A cleaner experience than the others.

Try meditating, Random_Dude....... 8-)

northwestuntu
May 9th, 2010, 07:37 PM
i guess it depends on the hardware you have.

i think the new version is great. if you want really fast maybe try xubuntu or something with openbox.

all sorts of options.

Kdar
May 9th, 2010, 07:45 PM
Try Arch Linux

nothingspecial
May 9th, 2010, 08:56 PM
Take all the bits you don`t like out.

Put all the bits you do like in.

This is linux, do what you want. :P

Random_Dude
May 9th, 2010, 10:04 PM
I'm frustrated too with the bugs as well in Lucid, but I'm still an Ubuntu fan.
I did a live update from Karmic, which was faster. My video is an
integrated nVidia. I'll be patient with the fixes for the bugs.
Sure, there are other distros to try; but of all the ones I tried,
I still liked Ubuntu the most. A cleaner experience than the others.

Try meditating, Random_Dude....... 8-)

LOL. I'm cool.
shababhsiddique is the one who's pissed, and maybe he's right. I dunno.

medic2000
May 9th, 2010, 10:05 PM
Then i strongly suggest you to use another distro. I am very happy with ArchLinux now.

shababhsiddique
May 10th, 2010, 04:30 AM

It made me chuckle.

I never said that i hate ubuntu. i love it as much as u do. That is why i became angry last day. I just wanted to tell somebody that ubuntu later versions are begining to go on the wrong track. Graphical eyecandies arent the main thing of any distro.

And a important thing.. why all of you people just keep pointing to the windowscraps when it comes to speed??? thats annoying. In speed linux is its own opponent, you cant even compare it to windows. It feels like comparing runing speed of a tree with a mammal!

I dont know how patient you are.. i am not worth to talk about that.. i can tell you that those words werent able to calm me down....Maybe you havent read all that i wrote... i just wanted to calme my anger down not blame someone....ubuntu is the result of all of us,you, me and the geeks here... so if you think i am blaming you or ubuntu thats wrong... you must undestand that i am blaming myself too ....

this place is not for tech support so if you see no workarounds here that does not mean i havent tried to understand the problem and to solve it .

Sand & Mercury
May 10th, 2010, 05:08 AM
OpenSUSE might prove a better alternative for you; it tries for the same goals as Ubuntu more or less, just does it with a lot more polish and care.

Either that or gb2windows(tm) -- it's really not that bad and if you're just using Ubuntu for ideological reasons you're pretty much buggered anyway.

3rdalbum
May 10th, 2010, 05:40 AM
Well, have you checked if there's a program that's hogging your CPU? Or hogging your I/O capacity? (you can do the latter with the 'iotop' package).

Also, since you've been using Ubuntu for a while, I'd recommend you help test new versions of Ubuntu when they reach beta. This way you can report any bugs that affect you.

toupeiro
May 10th, 2010, 07:14 AM
I recently had my bout with frustration over Lucid. After watching my OS boot, and at idle, take up 1.6GB of RAM, I got disgusted. I figured, hey if I want to deal with this, I might as well be running Windows...

So, I decided to do a clean-slate wipe of my drive, do a fresh install of Kubuntu 10.04. After installing, simply firing up amarok took the memory utilization for all processes above 2GB. To make matters worse, after I enabled the NVidia driver, init 5 was completely broken (I mean, seg-fault broken). I'd finally had it and jumped over to FC13..

FC13 installed, and I chose KDE as my sole desktop environment (I've always had a thing for KDE, but it's always been too buggy for me to depend on, so I rarely use it), and I really thought I was going to run with it, but I was completely dissatisfied with the performance of the Nouveau video driver, as well as the yum package system. God, its horrid when compared to aptitude (frankly, all of them are, IMO.). So after doing some research, I found some stuff about rpmfusion having a pre-compiled NVidia driver. I read all the instructions about it, verbatim for FC13 x64, and on reboot, init 5 segfault!!!

I figured I would go back to my roots and run Slack or SuSE but then I decided to give Ubuntu 10.04 a clean-slate shot since mine was an upgrade starting with 8.10 or 9.04. So far, things are acceptable. I have Firefox open, a few terminal windows, a few nautilus windows and the memory utilization is staying below 730MB after a little bit of tuning. (I don't mind committing my RAM, for things that actively need it, but I hate idle bloat.)

So I am back to ubuntu, mainly because I didn't want to spend my weekend distro-hopping. I guess this is just a long way of me saying, I feel your pain. I think ubuntu as a project is losing its sense of direction. I still enjoy it, and the community, and there are definitely aspects of it that have spoiled me horribly and I really like them. I just think it has been, and could be, more efficient "out of the box" than it is today. If I were accepted as a developer (not for lack of trying), I would want to focus less on ubuntu's ability to boot fast, and more on its ability to stay lean. By this, I don't mean its ISO size, or its hard drive footprint, I mean not loading crap that doesn't need to be loaded, or loading it on demand, and properly flushing those processes when its no longer in demand.

v1ad
May 10th, 2010, 07:18 AM
Kubuntu - give it a try. the kde enviorment has some major upgrades and i love them.

shababhsiddique
May 12th, 2010, 05:24 AM
I recently had my bout with frustration over Lucid. After watching my OS boot, and at idle, take up 1.6GB of RAM, I got disgusted. I figured, hey if I want to deal with this, I might as well be running Windows...

So, I decided to do a clean-slate wipe of my drive, do a fresh install of Kubuntu 10.04. After installing, simply firing up amarok took the memory utilization for all processes above 2GB. To make matters worse, after I enabled the NVidia driver, init 5 was completely broken (I mean, seg-fault broken). I'd finally had it and jumped over to FC13..

FC13 installed, and I chose KDE as my sole desktop environment (I've always had a thing for KDE, but it's always been too buggy for me to depend on, so I rarely use it), and I really thought I was going to run with it, but I was completely dissatisfied with the performance of the Nouveau video driver, as well as the yum package system. God, its horrid when compared to aptitude (frankly, all of them are, IMO.). So after doing some research, I found some stuff about rpmfusion having a pre-compiled NVidia driver. I read all the instructions about it, verbatim for FC13 x64, and on reboot, init 5 segfault!!!

I figured I would go back to my roots and run Slack or SuSE but then I decided to give Ubuntu 10.04 a clean-slate shot since mine was an upgrade starting with 8.10 or 9.04. So far, things are acceptable. I have Firefox open, a few terminal windows, a few nautilus windows and the memory utilization is staying below 730MB after a little bit of tuning. (I don't mind committing my RAM, for things that actively need it, but I hate idle bloat.)

So I am back to ubuntu, mainly because I didn't want to spend my weekend distro-hopping. I guess this is just a long way of me saying, I feel your pain. I think ubuntu as a project is losing its sense of direction. I still enjoy it, and the community, and there are definitely aspects of it that have spoiled me horribly and I really like them. I just think it has been, and could be, more efficient "out of the box" than it is today. If I were accepted as a developer (not for lack of trying), I would want to focus less on ubuntu's ability to boot fast, and more on its ability to stay lean. By this, I don't mean its ISO size, or its hard drive footprint, I mean not loading crap that doesn't need to be loaded, or loading it on demand, and properly flushing those processes when its no longer in demand.

looks like a good turning experience... thank all of you for your replies.. that is what i was trying to tell..

anyways.. i just figured out the the problem only persists due to power saver things slowing down the CPU, lookin for the solution .. would be sticking with jaunty for a little more while..

and yes i think i will consider other OS soon.. but my priorities would be enterprise linux,.. redhat is not in my reach so what can i take? maybe fedora would be a good before using Redhat

WinterRain
May 12th, 2010, 05:48 AM
and yes i think i will consider other OS soon.. but my priorities would be enterprise linux,.. redhat is not in my reach so what can i take? maybe fedora would be a good before using Redhat

It's good to try other things. My thing is to match the OS to the hardware. I never try to force anything. And if it means putting puppy linux on it is the only way to have a happy computer, then so be it. I think sometimes people spend too much time trying to put a square peg into a round hole.

It's not a crime even if linux in general doesn't work with your hardware, it just means your hardware is very picky, even if it worked before. I guess when you've dealt with 100's of computers, you become very "meh" when something doesn't work. Find what works on it, and ride it. But it doesn't mean ubuntu or any other distro is bad because of your particular hardware configuration. When you look at the big picture, canonical is doing just fine and works on most computers.

toupeiro
May 12th, 2010, 08:51 AM
It's good to try other things. My thing is to match the OS to the hardware. I never try to force anything. And if it means putting puppy linux on it is the only way to have a happy computer, then so be it. I think sometimes people spend too much time trying to put a square peg into a round hole.

It's not a crime even if linux in general doesn't work with your hardware, it just means your hardware is very picky, even if it worked before. I guess when you've dealt with 100's of computers, you become very "meh" when something doesn't work. Find what works on it, and ride it. But it doesn't mean ubuntu or any other distro is bad because of your particular hardware configuration. When you look at the big picture, canonical is doing just fine and works on most computers.

I will give a plug to SuSE. I've always liked that distro. My first experience with it was 5.3, after switching from redhat 5.2.. We're talking about kernel 2.0 days, when linux was still very much an infant with regard to hardware support and ease of use. SuSE was way more user friendily from the start over redhat's then flagship distro. I still think the same holds true today. I'm just not overly impressed with Fedora. I am a huge fan of RHEL because its Fedora "that just works." I know, its a strange thing to say, but RHEL is so much better than fedora. RHEL aside, I think you will enjoy SuSE as an alternative.

shababhsiddique
July 17th, 2010, 04:26 PM
I will give a plug to SuSE. I've always liked that distro. My first experience with it was 5.3, after switching from redhat 5.2.. We're talking about kernel 2.0 days, when linux was still very much an infant with regard to hardware support and ease of use. SuSE was way more user friendily from the start over redhat's then flagship distro. I still think the same holds true today. I'm just not overly impressed with Fedora. I am a huge fan of RHEL because its Fedora "that just works." I know, its a strange thing to say, but RHEL is so much better than fedora. RHEL aside, I think you will enjoy SuSE as an alternative.

yes SUSE a nice OS. i really love ubuntu its the best when it comes to userfriendliness..

a few tweaks calmed me down. now using Lucid desktop edition in laptop. UNE still possesses the problem

asbesto
July 31st, 2010, 12:23 PM
thanks guys...

its not making me angry becz i paid.. i didnt.. and i love it for that.. i am angry because it is not doing well the last year.. since 9.04 i couldnt see any advancements.. just graphical eyecandies... a little though. but the system is becoming really unstable.. atleast it felt to me like that... and i am angry becz i love ubuntu and would not be able to tolerate its fall..

the release notes says as always.---'its faster its fater its smarter and bluh bluh bluh... like what microsoft says about new windws releases..' it is not working with me...

There is NO solution. Period.

Every time I criticize something here, I will be awarded by an ammonition, the topic closed, or I have answers like "if you don't like it don't use it".

This is not a matter of like/use or don't use. This is a matter of GOOD PROGRAMMING.

Adding a lot of CRAP (PolicyKit, Passwords for every thing to be done, a LOT of STUPID programs that charge the system, adding beta versions of unstable software that DOESN'T WORK) is only BAD PROGRAMMING and BAD SYSTEM MANAGEMENT.

Another great error is to clean up old version of software in the repositories, so when you update/upgrade software, obtaining a BROKEN / BUGGED version instead of the previously working (example: Nautilus and the "Keep aligned" bug) you CAN'T go back to the previous version.

Another great move (sarcasticly!) was to change windows behaviour and appearence from the latest version.

So you have 100% of users that are USED to an interface, that ask you to solve BUGS and having the system work smooth again, and what do you do ? You add more CONFUSION to users by changing the way they use the windows, in this stupid way?

Also, changing the terrain under user's feets is THE WORST thing to do.

And last but not least, I had to mention A LOT OF HARDWARE that was PERFECTLY 100% WORKING out of the box (GSM HDSPA USB modems, webcams, video acquisition cards, etc.) that now DOESN'T WORK ANYMORE on recent versions of ubuntu. The support for them was BROKEN.

The far Ubuntu goes on, the more things get BROKEN. If I will be a developer for a company doing such a mess on a WORKING system, i will be FIRED in 5 minutes. *FIRED*.

And Ubuntu is going far in that way - the result is many people passing to debian due to that.

I'm totally ASTONISHED for all that. ](*,)

It seem to me that the entire Ubuntu project is now driven (crazily) by 14 years old guys that call themselves "developers", instead of truly 40 years old TRUE UNIX GURU'S, as it HAS TO BE.

there's no salvation for this, we just can only hope in something new.

:(