PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] can't open odt files from network after upgrading to 10.04

richardd73
May 9th, 2010, 02:14 PM
Hello,

Yesterday i upgraded from ubuntu 9.10 to 10.4.
Everthing went well, all works as expected. (like the new interface)

But i have one problem, i can't open odt files from my network share.

Every time i try to open an odt or ott file Openoffice displays the following error message:
OpenOffice.org Document Recovery
Due to an unexpected error, OpenOffice.org crashed. All the files you were working on will now be saved.
The next time OpenOffice.org is launched, your files will be recovered automatically.
The following files will be recovered:

When i copy these files to the local disk, i can open them without a problem.
Opening doc / xls / ods works fine.

The odt files are located on a samba share, and mounted in my home dir using cifs.

Already, completly uninstalled Openoffice and reinstalled (ubuntu)Openoffice, no luck.
Also completly uninstalled Openoffice, and installed latest OpenOffice version from openoffice.org. (3.2.0 build 9483)

I found a post (on debian forum) with similar problem http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=573949

Please help,

Thanks in advance.

starfish_2008
May 10th, 2010, 08:41 PM
I have had the exact same problem. My network connection is also samba with the network mounted on my home directory using cifs (incidentally the only reason I have it locally mounted is to take advantage of google desktop).

I have uninstalled & reinstalled OOo three times. I even did a clean reinstall of 10.04 all to no avail.

Connecting to the same network using SSH I have no problems with OOo.

Thanks for your help.

elfunesto
May 17th, 2010, 03:27 PM
Hi,
I have a similar problem here. However, to be a bit more precise, only some ods (same thing for odt) cause problem: on the same network some ods can be open whereas others cause a crash (while I am able to open a copy on my local drive).
By deleting columns or graphs in the local copy and then copying it again in the network, I was able to re-open the file from network. However, I can't understand why those columns or graphs cause a crash, and why the crash only occur on cifs network.
Cheers

ridgerun
May 17th, 2010, 07:11 PM
Having the same problem after upgrading to 10.4. If I copy the file onto my
local HD then it works fine.

elfunesto
May 18th, 2010, 10:05 AM
I would like to add that the problem occur with both oOo from the repository and the official version.

elfunesto
May 18th, 2010, 11:51 AM
Moreover, if the ods file is converted in xls, it can be opened without any problem.
Cheers

elfunesto
May 18th, 2010, 03:53 PM
I have just wrote a bug report in launchpad
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/openoffice.org/+bug/582287
Cheers

elfunesto
May 19th, 2010, 03:54 PM
Hi,
I solved my problem by using the nobrl when mounting the network drive

in fstab
//machine/partition /media/Sauvegarde cifs nobrl,credentials=/root/.smbcredentials,uid=1000,gid=100,rw,iocharset=utf8 0 0
with sudo mount
hilaire@hilaire-desktop:~$ sudo mount -t cifs //machine/partition /media/Sauvegarde -o nobrl,uid=1000,gid=100,file_mode=0640,dir_mode=075 0,iocharset=utf8,credentials=/root/.smbcredentials

Hope that help!
Cheers

mdotenjr
May 19th, 2010, 06:04 PM
Hi,
I solved my problem by using the nobrl when mounting the network drive

in fstab
//machine/partition /media/Sauvegarde cifs nobrl,credentials=/root/.smbcredentials,uid=1000,gid=100,rw,iocharset=utf8 0 0
with sudo mount
hilaire@hilaire-desktop:~$ sudo mount -t cifs //machine/partition /media/Sauvegarde -o nobrl,uid=1000,gid=100,file_mode=0640,dir_mode=075 0,iocharset=utf8,credentials=/root/.smbcredentials

Hope that help!
Cheers
THANK YOU!!! This works perfectly! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! What a relief. I can't tell you how many times I had to copy network documents to my desktop just to work on them, and then paste them back when I was done.

Just to clarify the nobrl is what fixed my fstab. Here is how I implemented it.
//machine/sharename /mountdirectory/mountfolder cifs nobrl,credentials=/etc/.smbcredentials,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777 0 0

miquel6
June 18th, 2010, 12:03 PM
Thanks also!

The workaround by elfunesto worked for me

mdotenjr
June 24th, 2010, 01:28 PM
Just to clarify the nobrl is what fixed my fstab. Here is how I implemented it.
//machine/sharename /mountdirectory/mountfolder cifs nobrl,credentials=/etc/.smbcredentials,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777 0 0.