PDA

View Full Version : Games like X-Wing and Tie Fighter series?

Books
March 21st, 2006, 03:38 AM
Are there any Linux games like the old Star Wars X-Wing and Tie Fighter series of games? I played those years ago, and no other game has come close to providing that many hours of relaxation.

I tried VegaStrike but it seemed so complicated that I couldn't get into it. The X-Wing and Tie Fighter series excelled by being Just Plain Fun, fly around and blast the bad guys.

Please tell me there is something in the Linux world that is semi-close. If there isn't, there should be. I don't know how many posts I've come across by people wistfully remembering those games.

Any ideas? Thanks!

Books

psoleko
March 21st, 2006, 04:37 AM
If it's any consolation I miss those games too. X-Wing Alliance was the last great game from LA in the spirit of those classics. Seems all they are churning out now is half baked FPS and platformers, which I end up buying anyway.

Books
March 21st, 2006, 05:27 AM
If it's any consolation...

Uh, oh. That doesn't sound good. I'm sad. :cry:

Surely there are enough open-sourcers who remember that series to put together an OSS project? They wouldn't have to be X-wings or Ties (due to licensing). Just make up some ships, write some code, put some stars in the background, and have the hottest open-source game out there. Ok, it'd be more complex than that but we're not talking about some involved FPS in an interactive world.

Any takers? Please???

Books

Sutekh
March 21st, 2006, 05:35 AM
Can I join the wistfullness?

:-({|=

Oh man, TIE Fighter was the best game I have ever played. I miss it alot. I can't even get it working in Windows these days either.

I wish I was skilled enough to try to make one. I remember spending a week when I was a young teen making a pixelated TIE fighter wing-panel in BASIC.

Such a good game

Qrk
March 21st, 2006, 05:46 AM
Its sad thinking that those greats are falling by the wayside.

These new games that come out are far too complicated for their own good. But if you want something linux native with a similar, simple, goodness of the classics, please try gl-117.

Books
March 21st, 2006, 06:58 AM
Its sad thinking that those greats are falling by the wayside.

These new games that come out are far too complicated for their own good. But if you want something linux native with a similar, simple, goodness of the classics, please try gl-117.

Thanks, I'll try it.

Books

Halcyon31415
March 13th, 2008, 04:11 PM
It's a bummer, Never was there a game with as much, freedom, story, fun, and challenge. Does anyone remember putting on the invincibility and running into a star destroyer and flying into a second one and having the 2 fight each other?

Best moment, Taking out an A-Wing in a Tie Bomber with a torpedo. I just got lucky but it was so sweet :)

Well I got my fingers crossed someone much cooler then me will have a solution at some point.

aaaantoine
March 13th, 2008, 05:22 PM
If my Radeon drivers weren't so antagonistic about OpenGL, I'd try to learn how to program for it.

Jay Jay
March 13th, 2008, 07:35 PM
I loved X-Wing, that was such a groundbreaking game. Many an evening of mine was spent playing through the extensive campaigns, It's nice to see that other people still remember the franchise and enjoyed It as much as I did. :)

Ironically, It put me in good stead for Linux: having to use EDIT to trawl through my Autoexec.bat and Config.sys files to get the game working meant I found It very easy to configure my Xorg and Interfaces scripts. :)

Oh man, TIE Fighter was the best game I have ever played. I miss it alot. I can't even get it working in Windows these days either.

I've never managed to get It work, maybe one day... :(

init1
March 13th, 2008, 10:44 PM
I think I have those in a box somewhere but I've never played them.

Jaubsmat
March 13th, 2008, 10:57 PM
Those were great games. I'll add my name to the list of hopefuls. Although I can't program, I'd gladly help somebody or some group with graphics or a website if anyone is thinking of creating an open source version.

keynell
March 13th, 2008, 11:49 PM
Well, Freespace2 was amazing when it came out... for windows. In the last few years, though, Volition Inc released the source code. There's now a linux version out there, but you'll still need all of the original game data. Find out more here. (http://www.hard-light.net/wiki/index.php/The_fs2_open_on_Linux_Guide)

tageiru
March 14th, 2008, 12:35 AM

You can run TIE Fighter on Linux using dosbox

sudo apt-get install dosbox

3rdalbum
March 14th, 2008, 02:01 AM
I liked X-Wing too. I used to play it on the Mac.

And yeah, taking out a Star Destroyer with invincibility and unlimited ammo on :-)

Vega Strike is probably good, but it's a very different type of game to X-wing or TIE Fighter. Vega Strike is an RPG in space, but X-Wing is an action shooter.

Unfortunately, there's no direct equivilant to Escape Velocity for Linux. Vega Strike is the right kind of idea, but EV was 2D and Vega Strike is 3D (and a bit slow and plodding).

Tragos
March 17th, 2008, 01:54 PM
You can run TIE Fighter on Linux using dosbox

sudo apt-get install dosbox

I tested running X-Wing under DOSBox and DOSEMU maybe a year or two ago. I remember that another one of those emulators didn't support joysticks. And I couldn't get sound working under the other one.

How's the situation nowadays? For the genuine nostalgia I need to have both the sounds and my good ol' Gravis Analog Pro.

hyper_ch
March 17th, 2008, 02:03 PM
you didn't need to be invincible to take out star destroyers in X-Wing... (or was it in XvT)... first just 2 torpedos (or did 1 suffice) at each shield generator above the command bridge and then you could crack the hull with your lasers...

I loved X-Wing but I played a lot more TIE Fighter.... XvT wasn't too bad either but I just loved the Thrawn part in it... at the same time I think I also read the Thrawn saga by Timothy Zahn (I think)...

And I actually remember a bug in TIE Fighter... in the missions you always had those secrect objectives (well, if you went to the training simulator afterwards it showed all those objectives) and in one you had to take out a frigate (I think)... if you did that than later a Victory Stardestroyer did not appear and you couldn't complete the mission (and the game) any more.

zachtib
March 17th, 2008, 04:04 PM
Wow, I really miss these games.

I mainly played XvT, but I did get XWA as well.

I'd be interested in working on an Open Source clone, I just don't know if I have the time.

Brebs
March 17th, 2008, 04:16 PM
Try beyond the red line (btrl) (http://www.game-warden.com/bsg/).

900donuts
May 9th, 2008, 05:02 AM
i got both x-wing and tie fighter on floppies from thrift stores unfortunately its a pain to install muti-floppy games in dosbox i haven't got it working yet

der_joachim
May 10th, 2008, 11:37 AM
IIRC, there was a B5 game, which was Windows-based, but ran well in Wine. The title was something like "I've found her". Back in 2003 it was a work in progress, and it was free-as-in-beer. I lost the bookmark. :(

WeeManDan
May 10th, 2008, 12:30 PM
Any one remember Rebel Assault? It was the first game I remember really getting into and I'd love to play it in Ubuntu, do you think it would work under Wine?

Incense
May 10th, 2008, 02:00 PM
X-Wing Collector Series series has a platinum rating on WINEHQ. So I guess there's hope to get the classics running.

http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=6923&iTestingId=19464

Cyberponcho
May 10th, 2008, 05:56 PM
I had X-Wing and Tie Fighter and played it a few times before moving to germany, unfortunatelly didn't take the cd with me :( is there a way to get that game it somewhere on the net?

eragon100
May 10th, 2008, 06:03 PM
I have the original x-wing (5 floppys) with the original box, manual and everything.

If you want some other games like it, sudo apt-get install dosbox.

Then go to http://www.abandonia.com and download epic and wing commander for starters. They are both abandonware these days.

In addition there is a mod for vegastrike, which turns it into a good-loking remake of wing commander: privateer :)

Also, search for and buy a game named falcon sun. It's a space shooter, you should up aliens and such. The cutscenes have a lot of humor, and its from 2002, so it just requires a pentium 2 to run.

It's windows only though, and since it doesn't have an entry in the appdb I don't know if it works under wine. I will test it and MAKE an entry, and report the results here :)

Freelancer is also a good game to buy, it's also a couple of years old, so it's cheap. It's from microsoft game studios, but it looks good, has a good story line, and the single-player campaign (believe me, multiplayer=not interesting) works perfectly under wine, with the exception of the music.

Have fun!

Cyberponcho
May 10th, 2008, 06:15 PM
Thanks for the quick reply Eragon100, right now I'm @ work but as soon as i get home i'll check those links out ;)

eragon100
May 10th, 2008, 06:21 PM
Halcyon sun: Utter failure. It installs but that's about it. It doesn't even start without a joystick attached, and then it complains about fatal error: blah blah blah.

Forget it. But freelancer runs :)

Cyberponcho
May 14th, 2008, 02:40 PM
Hi Eragon100, thanks for the link to abandonia, i felt like i was 14 again!! found some really cool classics, stayed up late last night, now i'm dead tired @ work but it was worth it :)

queency
September 30th, 2008, 08:05 PM
ahhhhh x-wing the first game i needed to control with keyboard, joystic and mouse at the same time . it feels like really flying in space ....

although turning to linux i miss the sensation controlling the steering.
hope to have it one day in linux thats something i will pay for.

Books
November 23rd, 2010, 04:26 AM
Hello, all! I started this thread 4 years ago wanting to know of any games out there like X-Wing and Tie Fighter.

I miss those games! I've never found anything that has come close to the simple thrill of careening around a Star Destroyer or going head-to-head with a Tie Interceptor. :popcorn:

(Hey, Lucasarts, ya listening?)

Have any new X-Wing/Tie Fighter-like games come out in the last couple of years?

ve4cib
November 23rd, 2010, 07:33 AM
It's not Tie Fighter, but Descent was a pretty darned awesome game. Similar idea, only instead of flying around in space shooting stuff you're flying around a mine shooting stuff with a full six degrees of freedom.

The source was opened-up a while back, and there's a group in Germany porting the graphics over to OpenGL, adding full TCP/IP multiplyer support, and generally doing a great job of making the game even more awesome than it was before.

The only downside is that you need the original data (either the full version or the shareware version).

To find out more: http://www.descent2.de/

Sutekh849
November 23rd, 2010, 08:23 AM
+1 for FreeSpace 2. If you download it from Good old Games and use wine to extract the files you can get a native version running using the installer at www.fsoinstaller.com (http://www.fsoinstaller.com)
The people at http://www.hard-light.net will be willing to help you uf you have any problems. It is a truly epic game that in my opinion is better than the xwing and tie fighter series.

colmeweb
April 11th, 2011, 11:23 PM
Hey, I actually got tie fighter working with dosbox, but the joystick doesn't work. That means that anything more complex than the training is out. I have tried modifying the joystick setting in the configuration file, but no luck. Has anybody els got this to work, and if so how?

colmeweb
April 11th, 2011, 11:25 PM
@ Books, I forgot to mention that there are many websites where you can download the old x-wing and tie fighter stuff. Most will run through one dos emulator or another. a google/forum search will usually get it done. Good luck.

wewantutopia
April 12th, 2011, 12:59 AM
yup, both tie fighter and xwing work awesomely in dosbox.

2 of the best games of all time!!!

Ji Ruo
April 13th, 2011, 04:21 PM
There is a recreation of the old Elite available as Oolite. Best downloaded as the 'Beta' from the site, as stable version in the repos is quite old.

Apologies if it's not quite what you're looking for (I never played either game you mentioned).