PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] upgrade from 9.10 failure

kree8or
May 9th, 2010, 11:54 AM
Hi, I used the internal upgrade route to upgrade to 10.04. Now all I get on boot is a black screen. I tried booting from a 9.10 disk but the lappy refused to boot from the cd. The computer is a ibm thinkpad x40.
Help!
cheers
Paul

ateale
May 9th, 2010, 12:14 PM
hey, i have same issue. my laptop in a Panasonic Toughbook CF-18. Any help i would appreciate.

ateale
May 9th, 2010, 12:19 PM
More information as to the error message i got is (error:no suitable mode found) and (error:unknown command "terminal") followed by the ubuntu boot logo, then goes to a blank screen. Hope this is similar to what is happening to you paul, if not i will post to new tread.

kree8or
May 9th, 2010, 01:00 PM
no, I dont get any error messages. I tried to boot from a 9.10 disk but the machine wont boot from cd for some reason.

kree8or
May 9th, 2010, 05:26 PM
bump

Catharsis
May 9th, 2010, 10:48 PM
It's generally considered poor forum etiquette to bump your thread less than 24 hours after the last post.

That said, try:
1) Hold down Shift while booting to get the grub menu.
2) Hit 'e'. Replace "quiet splash" with "nomodeset".
3) Ctrl+x to boot.

kree8or
May 10th, 2010, 11:57 AM
It's generally considered poor forum etiquette to bump your thread less than 24 hours after the last post.sorry!

That said, try:
1) Hold down Shift while booting to get the grub menu.
2) Hit 'e'. Replace "quiet splash" with "nomodeset".
3) Ctrl+x to boot.
I held down shift and I got a message saying "grub loading" but then nothing happens, it just carries on booting to the black screen and fails to boot.

Catharsis
May 10th, 2010, 01:17 PM
I held down shift and I got a message saying "grub loading" but then nothing happens, it just carries on booting to the black screen and fails to boot.

...Really? That is *very* strange. Did you hold down Shift the entire time?

If grub really won't load, then you need to reinstall it:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Grub2#Recover Grub 2 via LiveCD

kree8or
May 10th, 2010, 09:59 PM
...Really? That is *very* strange. Did you hold down Shift the entire time?

If grub really won't load, then you need to reinstall it:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Grub2#Recover Grub 2 via LiveCD

i held down shift the entire time, but i cant use a liveCD because it wont boot from cd.