PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Upgraded to 10.4 now get get keyring password box at boot

RichardUK
May 9th, 2010, 09:20 AM
For some reason after upgrading from 9.10 to 10.4 I now at boot get the password box for unlocking the keyring. It does not seem to make any difference to the computer if I put the correct password in, junk or just cancel. Everything still works as it did before. So how do I turn it off, it's not doing anything from what I can see.

lechien73
May 9th, 2010, 09:40 AM
Did you supply a password for the keyring before? You can disable it by changing the password to blank, but this means that none of your saved passwords will be encrypted - they'll all be stored in plaintext. If you're happy with that, then you can do the following (note that this procedure will delete any saved passwords on your computer):

Go to your Home Folder by clicking Places -> Home Folder
Press CTRL-H to view hidden files
Open the folder named .gnome2
Open the folder named keyrings
Delete the files in here, and restart the computer
When prompted for a keyring password, leave both fields blank and click Create
You will be given a warning, but click Use Unsafe Storage

The prompt should now vanish when you restart.

If you can remember your keyring password, then you could try the following, which doesn't delete any saved passwords, but still uses unsafe storage:

Go to Applications -> Accessories
Click "Passwords and Encryption Keys"
Right Click on "Passwords: default"
Select Change Password
Enter your current password into "Old password" and leave the other fields blank
Hit Change
Proceed with the Unsafe Storage option

RichardUK
May 10th, 2010, 06:37 PM
Silly question, but if you want protected passwords do you have to live with this dialog box on every boot?

RichardUK
May 10th, 2010, 08:32 PM
Fixed it! :) there was an entry for that ubuntu one thingy that I looked at just once and then ignored it. For some reason after the upgrade it decided that the password was wrong hence the dialog box. ( I think) I just deleted the entry in the "Passwords and Encryption Keys" app and now no dialog box at boot time. :) Thanks lechien73 I never would have found that with out your pointers. :)

lechien73
May 11th, 2010, 08:01 PM
You're welcome...glad it helped :)

If you get chance, could you click on "Thread Tools" at the top of this topic and set the thread to "Solved"?

Thanks