PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Is Lucid LTS the correct upgrade path?

unforlorn
May 9th, 2010, 05:14 AM
A few days ago I made the mistake of upgrading to Ubuntu 10.04 LTS, and subsequently had nothing but trouble. My volume icon disappeared and for the life of me I couldn't find it or reinstall it. An eerily Windows-like chat icon has appeared next to my login name that I didn't ask for, and more importantly my handbrake program (Matroska encoder) completely stopped working.

I've learned in the past that LTS editions are not normal upgrades, and I should best avoid them. But this one appears from the Ubuntu homepage to be the standard upgrade from Karmic to Lucid. I've had to completely reinstall Karmic on my workstation just to be able to carry on as normal, but the laptop seems to be coping ok with the LTS edition.

Can anybody tell me if this LTS is now the default upgrade for Lucid, or is this just a regular LTS and I should wait for my standard one to come out?

73ckn797
May 9th, 2010, 05:20 AM
Did you perform a fresh install or upgrade online? Fresh installs are usually better.

LTS (Long Term Support) is the BIG update. All others are just a regular release cycle. I am sticking with 10.04 unless the next has some major improvements.

unforlorn
May 9th, 2010, 05:46 AM
Online upgrade first. Then when I noticed all the problems I did a fresh install. Same problems. I've now done a fresh install back to karmic.

candtalan
May 9th, 2010, 07:18 AM
Did you perform a fresh install or upgrade online? Fresh installs are usually better.

I have had good results from online version upgrades. In some cases it has been a great help because some difficult video settings have been taken forward and continued to be used, whereas a fresh install would have given trouble.
On one of several machines I have been testing on, I find that a fresh install of 10.04 soon only gives a good desktop if I used gnome safe session, while on the same machine (dual boot) the upgraded 10.04 works ok. Maybe this will get sorted naturally with updates, hope so.

Sometimes I would choose to fresh install, it depends.