PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] different desktop on different computers

irishrick
May 8th, 2010, 10:15 PM
I have installed 10.04 on both my laptop and my desktop computer. the desktop was pre-installed with 9.10 then upgraded to 10.04, the laptop was pre-installed with 9.04then upgraded to 10.04. There are a few differences in the look of the desktop but the most notable is the fact that the window controls for the desktop are on the left and the windows controls for the laptop are on the right . Any thoughts as to how this happened or what went wrong. Both were upgraded at the same time.:shock:

mgmiller
May 8th, 2010, 11:01 PM
You are probably running different themes on the 2 machines. The new default is to have the window controls on the left side. In the machine that has them on the right side, you could open System > Preferences > Appearance and just select a different theme. The 2 new ones are Ambiance and Radiance. They are both very nice and I use one or the other as a default on all my new installs. If you don't like the controls on the left, there is a setting in gconf editor to make them what ever you like. Here is a link that tells you how to do it.

http://tombott.com/ubuntu_10.04_lucid_lynx_window_control_position

irishrick
May 10th, 2010, 02:41 AM
Thanks a lot for that info. It explains what I did during the upgrade.