PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Panel looks crap if not default size

Paresh
May 8th, 2010, 09:42 PM
I usually change the default bottom panel settings so that I have it on the right hand edge of the screen, 100 pixels wide and auto hide checked.

Until now, this has been fine, but with ubuntu 10.4, it has an awful banded look.

So, I tried using a solid colour and a custom background image and although this improves matters, there is still a banded section at the top that should not be there.

When you have a few apps running, the taskbar shows the active app normally, but the background apps are banded again.

Is there a way to fix this? It also makes the apps difficult to read.

jerrrys
May 9th, 2010, 04:01 AM
any chance of a screenshot?

Paresh
May 9th, 2010, 10:50 AM
Sorry, I got called away.

Screenshot1 is my usual setting (right hand side, autohide & 100 pixels wide).
Screenshot2 is set with a solid colour background.
Screenshot3 is set with a background image.
Screenshot4 shows the effect with some apps running.

As you can see, when the solid colour or image is used, there is still a section of the panel that has the banding effect near the top and behind the wastebin.

I actually find the banding behind the text of the apps distracting and difficult to read.

howefield
May 9th, 2010, 12:38 PM
Not exactly a fix, but you might improve the look by playing with the transparency setting of the panel.

P4man
May 9th, 2010, 12:42 PM
gnome panels are really poor if used vertically. I would suggest you look in to another dock like docky or avant and put that on the side.

Paresh
May 9th, 2010, 02:00 PM
Not exactly a fix, but you might improve the look by playing with the transparency setting of the panel.

Transparency only affects the solid colour part, and has no effect on the banded part that is causing the problem.

jerrrys
May 9th, 2010, 03:00 PM
not sure how it will work on your custom desktop, but gnome color chooser may be the answer. its in synaptic package manager.

dagrump
May 9th, 2010, 04:30 PM
It's the default theme that causes that, just try transparency on the top panel. Some sections won't be transparent.
Only option is change themes would be my guess. That's probably not much help, but I tried it on my box w/o the default theme & no banding here.

jimrew
May 9th, 2010, 04:48 PM
This fixed it for me.

http://www.rebelzero.com/howto/full-transparent-panel-with-lucids-ambiance-radiance-themes/244

Hope it helps.

dagrump
May 9th, 2010, 05:09 PM
@jimrew, good find there, I might try the default theme again.

Paresh
May 9th, 2010, 10:08 PM
This fixed it for me.

http://www.rebelzero.com/howto/full-transparent-panel-with-lucids-ambiance-radiance-themes/244

Hope it helps.

That's done the trick Many Tanks.