PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] An Impossible screen problem.

Sketches
May 8th, 2010, 09:00 PM
I have tried installing 10.04 but the live CD is just black. Same with a live USB. Also I installed the Beta 2 a while back and an upgraded kernel started this problem then but I just removed it and installed opensuse which is a pain. But I can't remember which version kernel broke it.

Literally just a black unresponsive screen. I have ATI graphics if thats any help. Even changing to terminal by Ctrl-Alt Fwhatever doesn't do anything. Will an external change matters or what is going on.

Catharsis
May 8th, 2010, 09:18 PM
What exactly do you see as you boot the LiveCD? Do you get a purple screen with a keyboard and stickfigure at the bottom?

If not, check the MD5SUM of the iso you burned.

If you do, press any key at that purple screen to get to the menu. First, check the disc for errors. If there aren't any, make sure "Try Ubuntu without making changes" is selected and then press F6 and select "nomodeset". Hit Enter and see what happens.

Sketches
May 10th, 2010, 06:59 PM
What exactly do you see as you boot the LiveCD? Do you get a purple screen with a keyboard and stickfigure at the bottom?

If you do, press any key at that purple screen to get to the menu. First, check the disc for errors. If there aren't any, make sure "Try Ubuntu without making changes" is selected and then press F6 and select "nomodeset". Hit Enter and see what happens.

nope I get nada zilch kaput and zero. Literally nothing. Now ive tried various versions from gnome to mint on a cd/dvd/usb same thing every time. There is nothing. I don't have one but would an external monitor change anything?

Sketches
May 13th, 2010, 03:20 PM
Is this literally an impossible problem. Ive installed dozens of OS's so this isn't me for once.

dino99
May 13th, 2010, 03:28 PM
give us some hardware info to googled around :confused:

mini howto: http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=9216264&postcount=14

Catharsis
May 14th, 2010, 07:00 PM

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowToMD5SUM