PDA

View Full Version : static vs dynamic scheduling

cybo
May 8th, 2010, 08:57 PM
in my OS class we were covering scheduling (just skimmed over the topic) but professor really never really explained the difference between static and dynamic scheduling? all i know is that static means that nothing changes, and dynamic means that something changes. i'd appreciate the if anyone could explain what those "nothing" and "something" mean.

thanks

Zugzwang
May 8th, 2010, 09:32 PM
Indeed, the question you are asking is not answered in the "scheduling (computing)" wikipedia article. So I'll try that here, as the question doesn't seem to be precisely homework:

A static schedule is some kind of list containing the order of the processes and the durations in which they are scheduled. For example, a simple communicating device could have the following static schedule in pseudo-code:

repeat forever:
execute task 1 for 10 ms
execute task 2 for 20 ms
execute task 1 for 5 ms
execute task 3 for 15 ms

This is a static schedule. It's just like the bus schedule: Task three is executed for 15 ms every 50 ms. The schedule never changes, even if task 1 has nothing to do and task 2 is missing its deadlines.

On the other hand, when performing dynamic scheduling, whenever the scheduler decides which task to execute next (and for how long), it looks at a list of tasks requesting the processor at that point in time and then decides which to use next. Examples are the "earliest-deadline first" scheduler. Here, the schedule changes if some task has nothing to do and does not request resources.

There are a couple of books on embedded systems where you can read more about that.