PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Display error notification on bootup

MCJavaMonkey
May 8th, 2010, 08:29 PM
Since upgrading to Lucid, I am getting the following dialog warning on login:

'Could not apply the stored configuration for monitors
X Server does not support size requested'

Im using the current proprietary NVIDIA graphics driver with dual heads. My display is fine, but the warning every time I login is annoying. After googling around I found this thread: http://ohioloco.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=9044815. I tried going to Monitor Preferences as suggested. My resolution as displayed in the default tool is set to 3840 x 1200, which I suspect is the issue forcing the dialog, but I cant change the resolution, refresh rate or rotation from the Monitor Preference dialog box. dino99's response (in the referenced post) about xorg.conf not being needed anymore seems relevant. How can I resolve this issue and get rid of this annoying warning? Is there a configuration that I can update with a supported resolution to placate lucid?

Catharsis
May 8th, 2010, 08:41 PM
dino99 had good recommendations. To implement them:

sudo mv /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.orig
To reverse:

sudo mv /etc/X11/xorg.conf.orig /etc/X11/xorg.conf

The other suggestion is just a terminal command:

Xorg -configure

MCJavaMonkey
May 8th, 2010, 09:27 PM
Moving the xorg.conf file "fixes" the problem in that I dont get the X Server warning and I can update my monitor preferences via the default utility, but it removes my dual head display configuration therefore I loose one of my monitors. Of course reconfiguring my twinview display through the NVIDIA utility recreates xorg.conf. I get my 2 display back, but also the annoying X Server warning. And, as expected Im again unable to update the monitor preferences via the default tool which has the resolution set to 3840 x 1200 as before.

Running Xorg -configure results in the following:

Fatal server error:
Server is already active for display 0
If this server is no longer running, remove /tmp/.X0-lock
and start again.

Please consult the The X.Org Foundation support
at http://wiki.x.org
for help.

ddxSigGiveUp: Closing log

MCJavaMonkey
May 8th, 2010, 09:33 PM
Obviously, something is detecting my xorg.conf file and its not happy about that configuration. The NVIDIA driver is clearly satisfied as my display works perfectly. Whatever is unhappy with my xorg.conf configuration seems to have been introduced int 10.04 LTS as I did NOT have this issue before upgrading. Ideas?

Catharsis
May 8th, 2010, 09:57 PM
What exactly is the xorg.conf that nVidia creates?

cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf

You can force the correct screen resolution in xorg.conf, I just have no idea how to do it. I suggest you search around the forums and google for some ideas.

MCJavaMonkey
May 8th, 2010, 10:15 PM
Below is the contents of my xorg.conf file. Which as far as I can tell looks valid. And as I said, there didnt seem to be any issue until I upgraded to Lucid.

# nvidia-settings: X configuration file generated by nvidia-settings
# nvidia-settings: version 1.0 (buildd@yellow) Fri Apr 9 11:51:21 UTC 2010

# nvidia-xconfig: X configuration file generated by nvidia-xconfig
# nvidia-xconfig: version 1.0 (buildmeister@builder58) Fri Mar 12 02:12:40 PST 2010

Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier "Layout0"
Screen 0 "Screen0" 0 0
InputDevice "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
InputDevice "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
Option "Xinerama" "0"
EndSection

Section "Files"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"

# generated from default
Identifier "Mouse0"
Driver "mouse"
Option "Protocol" "auto"
Option "Device" "/dev/psaux"
Option "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"

# generated from default
Identifier "Keyboard0"
Driver "kbd"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Monitor0"
VendorName "Unknown"
ModelName "Acer B243W"
HorizSync 31.0 - 83.0
VertRefresh 56.0 - 75.0
Option "DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "Device0"
Driver "nvidia"
VendorName "NVIDIA Corporation"
BoardName "Quadro NVS 290"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Screen0"
Device "Device0"
Monitor "Monitor0"
DefaultDepth 24
Option "TwinView" "1"
Option "TwinViewXineramaInfoOrder" "DFP-0"
Option "metamodes" "DFP-0: nvidia-auto-select +0+0, DFP-1: nvidia-auto-select +1920+0"
SubSection "Display"
Depth 24
EndSubSection
EndSection

Catharsis
May 8th, 2010, 10:31 PM
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=129379#post129379
should help, specifically the section titled "Adding custom modeline". You can edit xorg.conf with:

gksudo gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf

MCJavaMonkey
May 8th, 2010, 11:16 PM
That looked promising, but alas, no. Adding the custom mode line didnt make a difference. The X server config error persists.

However, in the process of generating the modeline text, I noticed that in the NVIDIA display config utility my X Screen 0 dimension is 3840x1200 pixels (1147x372 millimeters).

http://ubuntuforums.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=156103&stc=1&d=1273356757

This seems to correlate nicely with the wacky resolution that is reported in the default Monitor Preferences utility, that I am unable to alter and seems likely an "unsupportable" resolution.

http://ubuntuforums.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=156102&stc=1&d=1273356757

Coincidence? Perhaps.

MCJavaMonkey
May 8th, 2010, 11:30 PM
I suspect that new Lucid updates are seeing that reported twinview display dimension (1920+1920 x 1200) and reporting this naive X Server Config warning. Maybe this is a bug.

NT4usB
May 8th, 2010, 11:46 PM
You want your desktop stretched across two monitors?
Did you try dual xscreens?

Catharsis
May 8th, 2010, 11:54 PM
This might be of use:
http://www.ubuntugeek.com/dual-monitors-with-nvidia.html

Sounds like you could change this line in your "Screen" section:

Option "metamodes" "DFP-0: nvidia-auto-select +0+0, DFP-1: nvidia-auto-select +1920+0"

to:

Option "metamodes" "DFP-0: 1920x1200, DFP-1: 1920X1200"

Either that or change the whole section to:

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Screen0"
Device "Device0"
Monitor "Monitor0"
DefaultDepth 24
Option "TwinView"
Option "metamodes" "1920x1200 1920x1200"
SubSection "Display"
Depth 24
EndSubSection
EndSection

MCJavaMonkey
May 9th, 2010, 12:02 AM
You want your desktop stretched across two monitors?
Did you try dual xscreens?

Well, no, I dont WANT my desktop to stretch across two monitors, because it already does. Thats not my problem.

The problem with using two x screens is that I want to use them as a contiguous workspace, which twinview provides. But maybe Im not understanding your suggestion.

MCJavaMonkey
May 9th, 2010, 12:30 AM
This might be of use:
http://www.ubuntugeek.com/dual-monitors-with-nvidia.html

I saw this guide a few days ago when I first started looking into this issue. Neither of these configuration suggestions resolve the X Server configuration warning on boot up and the second one kinda jacks up my display a bit.

I pretty sure this is a new bug in the Lucid codebase. And unfortunately, I think Im just going to have to log it and live with it until its addressed. I was hoping to find a work around and Im still open to suggestions, but I do think this is caused by the reported twinview dimension/resolution from the NVIDIA driver.

I would be interested if others with my type of setup:
-Dual heads with 1920 x 1200 or more
-Running with upgraded or clean Ubuntu 10.04 LTS installs
-NVIDIA proprietary driver
-twinview

are seeing the same issue.

NT4usB
May 9th, 2010, 02:32 AM
Well, no, I dont WANT my desktop to stretch across two monitors, because it already does. Thats not my problem.

The problem with using two x screens is that I want to use them as a contiguous workspace, which twinview provides. But maybe Im not understanding your suggestion.

I don't know what TwinView is or does.
Just suggesting trying two xservers and see if it'll work that way.

I always run separate xservers for each monitor using "ServerLayout" to define two devices, screens, Monitors, etc.
Does TwinView allow you to drag apps from one screen to the other or straddle both screens with an ap?
That's the only downside* to dual xscreens is an ap launched on one screen can not be moved to the other screen. Otherwise, drag/drop, copy/paste, etc., all work across screens.

*(unless you're running Jaunty where gdm is broken so most apps launched on screen 2 open only on screen 1.)

MCJavaMonkey
May 9th, 2010, 05:27 AM
I don't know what TwinView is or does.
Does TwinView allow you to drag apps from one screen to the other or straddle both screens with an ap?

Correct, thats what twinview allows. Treating both screens as a single workspace. Your suggestion would clear up this annoying warning message on login, but would force me to sacrifice the convenience of a single contiguous workspace across my two monitors.

BTW, anyone interested can follow this bug here: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xorg/+bug/577640

joehte
May 11th, 2010, 04:45 AM
-twinview

I have the same thing. Got to this post by googling it.

EDIT: Other thing that does not work is sensible continuing of background picture across the monitors. Now it's just the same part of the picture on both monitors.

MCJavaMonkey
May 11th, 2010, 03:23 PM
Other thing that does not work is sensible continuing of background picture across the monitors. Now it's just the same part of the picture on both monitors.

True, but Im sure thats never worked in Gnome. It would be a welcome feature upgrade though.

joehte
May 11th, 2010, 03:27 PM
True, but Im sure thats never worked in Gnome. It would be a welcome feature upgrade though.

It did work for me in Ubuntu 9.10. That was the first thing I noticed being broken when booting to Lucid. And no matter what desktop background setting I tried, I couldn't get it correctly. The Stretch option is closest to being correct, but with that you have to have exactly correct sized background picture.

MCJavaMonkey
May 11th, 2010, 04:34 PM
It did work for me in Ubuntu 9.10. That was the first thing I noticed being broken when booting to Lucid. And no matter what desktop background setting I tried, I couldn't get it correctly. The Stretch option is closest to being correct, but with that you have to have exactly correct sized background picture.

Ahh, I guess you're right, that does seem to be broken. I was thinking about having 2 different background images. One for each monitor. That works in KDE, but not available in Gnome.

vek
May 20th, 2010, 04:15 AM
I also get this problem. I don't know if its related, but after typing in my password it takes a long time (repeatedly showing the aforementioned notification at least twice) before I can use the desktop. (Approx 20 sec).

In addition, I think that some Xorg programs think there's just one huge contiguous monitor, and they are placing notifications in incorrect places, etc. However, some apps do work, so it might just be a bug in some apps...

eshwar_andhavarapu
June 5th, 2010, 06:07 PM
I saw this guide a few days ago when I first started looking into this issue. Neither of these configuration suggestions resolve the X Server configuration warning on boot up and the second one kinda jacks up my display a bit.

I pretty sure this is a new bug in the Lucid codebase. And unfortunately, I think Im just going to have to log it and live with it until its addressed. I was hoping to find a work around and Im still open to suggestions, but I do think this is caused by the reported twinview dimension/resolution from the NVIDIA driver.

-twinview

got a different issue on that setup. When i shared my home folder with a clean lucid install (another lucid install) I have 2 lucid. 1 with nvidia drivers and one with nouveau drivers. Then started having that message popup. Also, the desktop clips on the right hand side unless its the top or the bottom panel. whether or not i have 2 monitors connected or 1. otherwise i have the same setup as you.

belbo
June 18th, 2010, 10:25 PM
Did anyone find a solution to this problem or file a bug report? I have the same issue - and I don't have a dual head setup. I do have a custom modeline though. Otherwise same as op. ie nvidia driver and card, display works fine (although system seems less responsive than before - could xorg issue be a cause?), did not have the error with 9.04 but now have the error with 10.04 (didn't use 9.10, simply upgraded to it in order to immediately upgrade to 10.04). Removing Xorg.conf doesn't help - system reverts to low resolution display.

maddentim
June 22nd, 2010, 08:55 PM
This bug report might be related to the issue described here: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xorg-server/+bug/577640

NT4usB
June 24th, 2010, 01:40 AM
This bug report might be related to the issue described here: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xorg-server/+bug/577640

It is...
Specifically, to post #15 in this thread. *g*