PDA

View Full Version : Lets Get Yahoo Support For Linux!

ndstate
May 8th, 2010, 07:36 PM
Lets get Yahoo Mail support for Linux. It was suggested that we leave them a comment at http://help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo/mail/yahoomail/yfeedback.html suggesting they start supporting Linux!

If enough of us do maybe they will hear us and stop making us go through that extra step on login.

It will only take you a few minutes!

jrusso2
May 8th, 2010, 08:05 PM
Huh, I have been using yahoo on Linux for like sixteen years?

DeadSuperHero
May 8th, 2010, 08:08 PM
Well, technically they already support Firefox and Chrome/Chromium on Linux, although you do get a warning message that it "might not work"

What would really be nice is maybe Konqueror or Rekonq support, for us KDE users that don't much care for GTK-based web browsers.

Excedio
May 8th, 2010, 08:09 PM
For those wanting to know why this thread was created....

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1473338

TenPlus1
May 8th, 2010, 08:22 PM
Gyachi works really well for Linux users and gives them full yahoo support right down to voice, webcam and emoticons... check it out: https://launchpad.net/~loell/+archive/ppa

Excedio
May 8th, 2010, 10:35 PM
Gyachi works really well for Linux users and gives them full yahoo support right down to voice, webcam and emoticons... check it out: https://launchpad.net/~loell/+archive/ppa

I believe the OP want's Yahoo mail support.

kerry_s
May 8th, 2010, 11:16 PM
i never have problems with yahoo mail, i was just there 30min ago changing my password, it was problem free. i haven't actually been to yahoo in like 2 years, since i have gmail pop my yahoo & hotmail i only have to check gmail for all the mail.

t0p
May 8th, 2010, 11:40 PM
I can't see Yahoo ever officially "supporting" Linux. For many years under its previous owners Yahoo was content to ignore Linux's existence. Now that Microsoft has a large stake in the company, Yahoo has even less reason to support it.

But there have been third-party solutions for Yahoo services for ages, and I'm sure that will only increase and improve. Though I can't really see why anyone would want to use Yahoo mail... or Yahoo Groups, or Yahoo Messenger... or Yahoo anything. Excepting Youtube and flickr perhaps.

ndstate
May 18th, 2010, 09:23 PM
The idea is that if we keep emailing their email support maybe they will get rid of that warning message each time we login. At least thats what their online support guy suggested.

shebaw
May 18th, 2010, 11:35 PM
I can't see Yahoo ever officially "supporting" Linux. For many years under its previous owners Yahoo was content to ignore Linux's existence. Now that Microsoft has a large stake in the company, Yahoo has even less reason to support it.

But there have been third-party solutions for Yahoo services for ages, and I'm sure that will only increase and improve. Though I can't really see why anyone would want to use Yahoo mail... or Yahoo Groups, or Yahoo Messenger... or Yahoo anything. Excepting Youtube and flickr perhaps.

Last time I checked, Youtube was owned by Google :P

Johnsie
May 19th, 2010, 01:09 AM
switch to the classic version of yahoo mail.

finlost
May 22nd, 2010, 09:37 PM
Isn't Yahoo Mail now Zimbra?

irastrouse
December 13th, 2010, 07:30 AM
Sent to Yahoo on December 13, 2010 around midnight, PLEASE PASS THIS MESSAGE, revise it and lets make them change their minds, if we all pull together we can make the difference, and yes i have 1200 followers to go through with this.
but we must make them know that all linux lovers/users mean business, this for apple to.

me and 1200 other linux user were wandering when you will support linux, ubuntu, suse... anyhow its all debian. if not the us as linux users will petition and refuse your services, further more we will post between twitter, and facebook to all liinux users around the world not to use any yahoo product out there. I am a yahoo user, but i just want my im with all the features, and do not wish to have to move over to skype. thank you

Ira Strouse

irastrouse
December 13th, 2010, 07:49 AM
if we get this number over a mass amount then we will win, but like i said it will take all of us to spread the word

Khakilang
December 13th, 2010, 08:13 AM
For those wanting to know why this thread was created....

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1473338

Until today I still get the same message. But I still can read and send mail only it is annoying to have to click to go to classic Yahoo mail. I really hope to see this issue being solve by Yahoo.
:popcorn:

irastrouse
December 13th, 2010, 08:18 AM
Since I moved from microsoft it has been annoying for me, but i use skype, and gmail, more, and more, but i do hope they will give us the support, or i will be anti-yahoo.

GabrielYYZ
December 13th, 2010, 09:00 AM
Until today I still get the same message. But I still can read and send mail only it is annoying to have to click to go to classic Yahoo mail. I really hope to see this issue being solve by Yahoo.
:popcorn:

you can go to the new yahoo mail... i did it less than 2 weeks ago to update some stuff. the warning is, well, a warning just to play it safe.

madjr
December 13th, 2010, 10:33 AM
send it to omgubuntu and other popular blogs

irastrouse
December 14th, 2010, 01:26 AM
Escalation Notification - Your Yahoo! Case Has Been Escalated (KMM174040468V51567L0KM)

Inbox
X

|
Yahoo! Mail
to me

show details 8:46 AM (9 hours ago)

Hello ,

Thank you for contacting Yahoo! Customer Care. This message is to inform
you that your Yahoo! Mail inquiry will require additional work before we
can provide an answer. So please note that we are routing your issue to
a Technical Support Agent with specialized expertise, and you can expect
a response from us within the next 24 hours after receiving this email.

Sincerely,

The Yahoo! Customer Care Team

**Please do not respond to this message as no one will receive it.

I know mail works but what about everything else
anyhow this is what i got it is definitely different than what i recieved 1st two times.

Sean Moran
December 14th, 2010, 05:35 AM
Would it reduce the political implications to just recommend they merely conform with w3c standards, rather than having to mess about with every different web browser that's ever been released?

http://www.w3.org/

Yahoo! Classic works okay for me, although it would be nice if when I login to check my email, all that was rendered was my email, without all the other crap they keep dishing out without asking. I don't need the weather report in my email, because I have a window in this room that displays a much more accurate weather report every time I look through it.

irastrouse
December 14th, 2010, 05:42 AM
its not just the email i know the email works even the new one, but their messenger, and other software. i like having my webcam and voice chat in a simple im, gyachi, i love the fact you can see hidden people online, but the interface, is just bland, and the audiibles dont talk, and my webcam is glitchy... it would be nice to work without the bugs.

alaukikyo
December 14th, 2010, 07:30 AM
Try using this browser(http://downloads.yahoo.com/firefox/).
it is optimised for yahoo and supports linux

Tibuda
December 14th, 2010, 10:25 AM
linux, ubuntu, suse... anyhow its all debian.

SUSE is not based on Debian.

unknownPoster
December 14th, 2010, 11:50 AM
SUSE is not based on Debian.

And neither is Linux for that matter, if you take what that guy said literally.

Giant Speck
December 14th, 2010, 03:55 PM
when you will support linux, ubuntu, suse... anyhow its all debian.

Oh, dear.

irastrouse
December 14th, 2010, 08:49 PM
your right it kde, and gnome

unknownPoster
December 14th, 2010, 10:11 PM
your right it kde, and gnome

That's not true either. There are a plethora of popular DEs and WMs. You can't design to only one toolkit and expect it to run everywhere.

irastrouse
December 16th, 2010, 10:32 PM
thats right...i've gotten to where i use the distros so much.

Spice Weasel
December 16th, 2010, 11:01 PM
Excuse me, I use FVWM as a desktop and FLTK as a widget toolkit and I find your post offensive.

Gremlinzzz
December 16th, 2010, 11:27 PM
I haven use yahoo since Yahoo! was accused of aiding Beijing in identifying Shi Tao, another cyber-dissident, who was sentenced in April to 10 years in prison for making state information public.

beew
December 17th, 2010, 01:07 AM
Who cares?! Use gmail. Never like Yahoo. Don't use its search engine either.

irastrouse
December 17th, 2010, 04:11 AM
checked out FVWM and must say Kudos thats really nice

irastrouse
December 17th, 2010, 04:17 AM
and about the offensive part boo hoo, all my friends used y messenger, and we all switched to skype so... yahoo should be willing to give us full support not just email or the "well you have a great text im interface." We just want the full support, like the audibles i dont wanna have to use my vm just to run yahoo, i use my vm for my beginner dev kits. their email sucks anyway bc i got more spam than i know what to do with... and, so does my uncle and know one has his email, and its att.net. My gmail none nada zip,ziltch. and it does a real good job of its web filtering, so why don't you just find this post offensive. They give mac support. i have an apple to.

irastrouse
December 18th, 2010, 09:19 AM
yahoo said they will not give software support and refered me to their web messenger, well, its time to just not use their service at all.the only thing i liked about them was the messenger. but everyone else its a little bit more, I have alot of spam issue with them, and I'm done. They'll just keep turning us away, and they lost alot of business i wont be buying yahoo products anytime soon.