PDA

View Full Version : Motorcycle learning

yester64
May 8th, 2010, 06:51 PM
Hi, it was always my wish to drive a motorcycle. In germany i never did it and i always hated myself for not doing it. Well, license over there are quite expensive really.
So, now i am here in california and i want to do it before i hit the bucket.

How do i do it?
Do i need to buy one to do the test, or do you rent a machine?
What should a beginner watch for?

Well, you get the picture. I have no idea what to look for in motorcycles and since i don't have a house, i have to (if i buy one) park it outside.

Any tips are appreciated. I do not plan to buy a big motorcycle really, but not small either.

But i need to start first and learn the rules and pass the test. I assume you also have to have some gear like a helm, protective clothing etc...

alzie
May 8th, 2010, 08:20 PM
Check and see if there are any motorcycle training courses in your area. Some are run in closed areas and provide you with a motorcycle to train on.

They'd be able to let you know if other things are required like a learners permit etc.

swoll1980
May 8th, 2010, 08:29 PM
Easiest way to go is to buy/rent one with an automatic transmission. In Ohio the test for heavy bikes is way easier than the one for light bikes. If it's the same there buy/rent a heavier bike, so you don't have to do the harder maneuverability test.

kpholmes
May 8th, 2010, 08:44 PM
i dont know what part of california your at, but here in southern cali, one of the community colleges near by has a motorcycle training course that takes like 6 hours or something and they start from scratch with people who don't know how to ride or people who want to get better. ive never done it but have seen them drive around the parking.

http://www.ocmt.org/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=aboutus

check out and see if something like this is available in your area

best luck

Frogs Hair
May 8th, 2010, 09:18 PM
I learned on an off road bike I found them lighter and easier to handle. Have Fun !

yester64
May 8th, 2010, 09:50 PM
Thanks for the tips, especially with the college. Have to check that out.

If i buy a bike, i properly would get a midrange size. Not to fast, especially for a newbie like me. Just something modest.

Oh, and yes. I am in SoCal as well.:popcorn:

sandyd
May 8th, 2010, 10:28 PM
I actually didn't find using a lighter motercycle to take the test harder. I used (I have another one now) a (whatyou can call standard) honda motercycle, and I passed the test just fine. and yes, it was one of the lighter models.

Naiki Muliaina
May 8th, 2010, 11:13 PM
Currently learning myself on a little 125cc Rieju RS2 Pro black in the UK. Cant offer much advice for leaning in the US but just wantin to wish ya good luck! Im loving the zippin about London on it even if i havent been doing it long ^^

yester64
May 8th, 2010, 11:54 PM
I found over the DMV site a link for companies that train you. It allows you to skip the skill test if you take the course.
A course is about $200 and teaches you the basics. Good for me, since i have no plan in regards of motorcycles.
Plus, you don't need an own cycle.

I am not sure what cycle to get, but like i mentioned, not to big for sure.

Did you buy your bike used, or new? I am tempted to buy used since it is cheaper.
This is what i perhaps like..

http://pictures.topspeed.com/IMG/crop/200812/honda-rebel_1280x0w.jpg

handy
May 9th, 2010, 12:45 AM
@yester64: Here are some of my thoughts on the choice of a bike amongst other things, this was posted in a previous thread here:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=9104418&postcount=16

wilee-nilee
May 9th, 2010, 01:15 AM
@yester64: Here are some of my thoughts on the choice of a bike amongst other things, this was posted in a previous thread here:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=9104418&postcount=16

I would agree with handy, I have had about the same amount of bikes, all street GP style though. I smaller less powerful bike is a disadvantage in that when you need the power it is not there. Also a GP style bike will handle much better, a cruiser style bike is not as manoeuvrable. I think the on off series of modern bikes are a pretty good compromise.

If you have the money take the beginner and advanced courses taught, motorcycling is very fun but very dangerous. Some things you can learn from experience, but having a advanced education will get you there faster, hopefully before something catastrophic happens, that you would have avoided by just knowing some basic physics of braking, and other areas.

yester64
May 9th, 2010, 02:09 AM
I would agree with handy, I have had about the same amount of bikes, all street GP style though. I smaller less powerful bike is a disadvantage in that when you need the power it is not there. Also a GP style bike will handle much better, a cruiser style bike is not as manoeuvrable. I think the on off series of modern bikes are a pretty good compromise.

If you have the money take the beginner and advanced courses taught, motorcycling is very fun but very dangerous. Some things you can learn from experience, but having a advanced education will get you there faster, hopefully before something catastrophic happens, that you would have avoided by just knowing some basic physics of braking, and other areas.

Yes, i actually will take a training. Make more sense...
The bike i, for right now, was choosing is a small bike with about 240cc or so.
But true, its more a cruiser.

I might be also looking in a kawaski ninja, but not sure which one..

handy
May 9th, 2010, 02:37 AM
Start with something that will give you every chance of foreseeing & escaping from trouble.

A dirt bike also gives you the option of developing your skills off-road, which is really the best place to learn how a bike handles & what you & it are capable of.

If you fall in love with biking you can progress into faster & more slick looking machinery (if that's what turns you on), but what you learn on the dirt & with a dirt bike (moving your weight correctly, reading the conditions quickly, keeping weight on your pegs at all times) will stick with you forever & could very well be what saves you & your bike from injury or worse.

wilee-nilee
May 9th, 2010, 02:42 AM
start with something that will give you every chance of foreseeing & escaping from trouble.

A dirt bike also gives you the option of developing your skills off-road, which is really the best place to learn how a bike handles & what you & it are capable of.

If you fall in love with biking you can progress into faster & more slick looking machinery (if that's what turns you on), but what you learn on the dirt & with a dirt bike (moving your weight correctly, reading the conditions quickly, keeping weight on your pegs at all times) will stick with you forever & could very well be what saves you & your bike from injury or worse.

+1