PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] 10.4 problems

Laeluu
May 8th, 2010, 06:00 PM
I had a custom theme before I upgraded to 10.4, and somehow it still carried over onto this version...the result? I can't minimize, maximize, or close out of windows. Everything is super glitchy. Going to my appearance tab and attempted to change it does nothing. Helpppppp. ))):

TheNerdAL
May 8th, 2010, 06:02 PM
Do you still have the ability to move open windows?

Laeluu
May 8th, 2010, 06:05 PM
No, I do not.

TheNerdAL
May 8th, 2010, 06:06 PM
Do you happen to have a video card and compiz?

pqwoerituytrueiwoq
May 8th, 2010, 06:08 PM
your title bar missing?
and the version number is 10.04 not 10.4

Laeluu
May 8th, 2010, 06:15 PM
I am assuming no, since I do not know what that entails. Even if I did, I'm having a hell of a time getting my computer to do anything.

No tabs are showing up in the bottom of the screen, my go-to-desktop button won't work, and neither will switching workstations.

Also: If I'm slow to reply, it's because my wi-fi isn't working too well. Sorry about that!

Laeluu
May 8th, 2010, 06:18 PM
One of the toolbars saying "file, edit, view" etc. will show up, but the regular toolbar that should have all my shortcuts + logout button is gone. Also, bottom toolbar is non-functional, as previously stated.

TheNerdAL
May 8th, 2010, 06:20 PM
hit "e" at the grub screen when you boot. select the safe graphics option. then hit "b" to boot. when it asks you want it to reconfigure x server(it may say x-11 i dont remember) select automatic. it should boot and every thing be ok. then restart again to be sure

Try that.

Laeluu
May 8th, 2010, 06:44 PM
Nothing really stated "Safe Graphics Mode", but I tried some of the options that it gave me (One had a line of text then it said simple splash"), but nothing asked me anything and it just seems to have taken me to another glitchy boot. :/

ALSO: 'b' did not boot, it just added the letter to the line of text. I had to hit ctrl+x to boot it (if that matters at all?)

Laeluu
May 8th, 2010, 07:13 PM
Sorry if this is a pain, it's just that this is my only computer and I can't study for my finals without it functioning correctly.

Kafubie
May 8th, 2010, 08:20 PM
There is some problems with people updating from the Update Manager.
I did it and it was perfect.

Is there a way you can just wipe out your disk and freshly install it?

QLee
May 8th, 2010, 08:25 PM
I had a custom theme before I upgraded to 10.4, and somehow it still carried over onto this version...the result? I can't minimize, maximize, or close out of windows. Everything is super glitchy.

Maybe some of the components of that custom theme are missing from the update, did you have to download it from somewhere when you initally installed it or do you mean just customisations you did on default themes?

Going to my appearance tab and attempted to change it does nothing. Helpppppp. ))):

Well, something probably happens. Does it seem to try to work but doesn't change anything or does it produce an error message of any kind? Did you log out and back in after trying to change to default theme? Those were examples, try to explain what you see as if we were blind, because essentially, we are to what is happening at your end.

Laeluu
May 9th, 2010, 07:41 AM
Basically what happens when I go to the change appearance tab, it's all just crap from my old install. It's like that part just DID NOT update. Some certain windows I can drag around (floating ones, like Pidgin), but others I can't do anything (because they're maximized or whatever). The normal Minimize/Maximize/Close buttons are neither on the right nor the left side of my screen. When I change the appearance, it changes the colours...it's just as glitched as usual. I have restarted my computer so many times it's crazy. Also, when I press the bottom left hand button to minimize all windows, this message comes up:
"Your window manager does not support the show desktop buton, or you are not running a window manager."

My best guess is that some **** just plain did not install. I've run the update manager and updated everything that it'd let me, but nothing has fixed itself (that I can tell).

QLee
May 9th, 2010, 02:31 PM
Well, if what is messed up is the theme for your user, one thing you could try would be to add another user and then log on as that user because that user would have the default theme. That could be a test.

I suppose you could try re-installing ubuntu-desktop (if you haven't already tried), it's a meta package that depends on all you need for the Ubuntu desktop system but I don't like to do anything to the system until I've tracked down the cause of whatever I'm trying to fix. You may be less interested in causes and only want to get your system working.

Note: It's not likely that any amount of "reboots" is going to fix anything, don't waste your time and make yourself frustrated with that.

Laeluu
May 9th, 2010, 07:32 PM
I did a bit of research/poking around my system, and believe that it's a problem with my window-manager. My problem is similar to this guy: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1456605

Except unlike him, I didn't use Emerald before. Minus the shiny display screen, he seems to be having the same toolbar issue as I do. Also, I tried reinstalling compiz + metacity (just the base programs) but to no avail.

Laeluu
May 9th, 2010, 07:40 PM
Wanted to try running compiz but my alt+F2 won't work? Just found this out, btw.

Laeluu
May 9th, 2010, 07:50 PM
Sorry for triple post; new progress made. I went to terminal (I didn't know how to run programs through there; hey, this IS the absolute beginner forum!) and ran compiz. Everything SEEMS to be working okay, but it gave me some wonky stuff in the terminal, too.

Also, I'm not 100% sure how to run things on startup. Going to try to see if that'll fix anything. :T

EDIT: Here's a link to my screen shot: http://i40.tinypic.com/20kujdg.png
Also, I got compiz all set up so it'll work on startup.

Laeluu
May 10th, 2010, 12:08 AM
Meh, nevermind. The error's probably no big deal. (: Solved enough.